Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1193 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
How's the place looking all greened up John? If I'd known the key to ending the drought was to buy some new tractor implements that I've yet to be able to play with because of the mud I'd have bought them a long time back! Mark.

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,122
It is GREEN and WET here in our part of Texas, but please keep all those folks in the more southern parts of the state in your prayers. I hope all the members in the Austin/SanAntonio/Houston areas are high enough to have avoided some of the terrible flooding. Here in Mills County, we've had over 10 inches of rain since May 1 (and that's a lot for us). It's good that all the creeks are flowing, the stock tanks are full, the lakes that supply water to cities are finally getting some healthy runoff, but the difficulty is that the coastal Bermuda is over knee high and ready to cut, but the ground is too wet for cutting.

The good news is that we saw the moon last night, and that's the first time in about 3 weeks. We're not forecast (as of now) for any more rain for the next ten days or so and that will help some. In Mills County one never asks for the rain to stop, so we just ask for a few days of sunshine.

Hope y'all are well! We are doing well and we are blessed for sure (aren't we all)! John

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's been a while since my last check in to this thread...or even log in to this forum. Glad to see the homestead is holding up well this spring against the Texas rains. Hope you're getting some good use out of that grill! I know mine has been put through the paces already this year!

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
I admire people with skills and vision. Thank you for sharing. I very much enjoyed this thread. Been away for a while and just returned recently.

Reactions: papajohnabi

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,127
Glad y'all stopped by! This is STILL a work in progress (as am I:biggrin:). I got to spend a long weekend with our son (in the Austin area) Jun 11-14 and we had a ball. We wanted to build a desk for his son so it was a rare chance for the two of us to collaborate on a project. I picked up a bunch of cedar in Lampasas on the way to Austin. I also took my surface planer along so we could dress the lumber up a bit. Son had found a picture on the internet that grandson really liked so we went to it. The intent was to get a "finished rustic" look and we thought it turned out really great. Top was built out of 2X10s edged and braced with 2X4s.

ChaseDestk3.jpeg The legs were built of 4X4s braced with 2X4s ChaseDesk4.JPG We finished it with tung oil. ChaseDesk1.jpeg ChaseDesk2.jpeg

The whole project took most of two days -- we could have done it much quicker if we had used yellow pine dimension lumber, but I think the result was well worth the extra effort. We bought a Kreg pocket hole jig to fasten a lot of the joints. I was really impressed with that tool as I had never used one before.

It started raining as I was thinking about leaving on Sunday afternoon and it was a real "toad strangler"! Here's a picture of the water flowing into the retention basin behind his house.
JJStormPic.JPG

Here at the place, we've been trying to catch up with mowing and weed killing since all the heavy rains this spring. Today we planted one of the three Vitex trees (also called Texas Lilac) that we picked up Friday.

Hope y'all had a great Fathers' Day! We need to start thinking about who here in Texas wants to start planning a shooting weekend here sometime in Sep or October. Any takers? Take care folks because I do care! John

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
That desk looks great, I'm sure your Grandson will be thrilled with it. Nice heavy duty piece, would probably make a great loading bench too.

Stu

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not a picture in the world can do justice to the beauty of that desk! Pop and JJ do one helluva job on the craftsmanship and the wood is out of this world pretty!

It has been a crazy spring and summer but we prevailed as a family!

Thanks Pop

I love you

N. (SIL)

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Hi popajohnabi, been gone awhile taken care of things. Got to missimg it around here. This was the first place I wanted to visit. The desk looks great. Being a old carpenter myself I always enjoy checking out your projects. Have a great day
Charles

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,132
As always, I enjoy it when you folks stop by! It's been a crazy summer -- the rain we got in May/Jun stopped and it got HOT and DRY (hey, it's Texas and it's summer so get used to it:biggrin:) Been working on some minor cedar projects for Christmas for kids but no pictures posted right now because I have kids who are members here:biggrin:

Latest small project is a sign to welcome folks to the place. It's hanging on the remains of a huge cedar tree that blew down during a small tornado about 6 years ago. Figured since we just passed our 7th anniversary of buying the property, we really needed to put up a proper Texas welcome! And we want our visitors to know that we expect to see them again!

Howdy.JPG Seeya.JPG

As those of you who regularly visit here already know, our cabin is compact. The stairway from downstairs means we lose a lot of heat during the winter. Since this winter is supposed to be colder than normal in our part of Texas, my wife came up with a really great idea to solve the problem (and it really fits with the "Old West" look that we have tried to maintain on the property. We had a large cowhide that we bought several years ago and it never would lay flat on the floor in the upstairs sleeping area. So my wife cut the cowhide in half and then started fringing the edges. When that was done, I cut a 2X2 to rest on existing boards at the top of the stairs. The finished product looks really great we think (and I'll bet it makes a big difference in the downstairs comfort level this winter).

Hide Door.jpeg

That's about it for now! Thanks for being here because I do care! John

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Dang you guys have neat ideas. We just picked all the apples off our trees tonight so the grizzly bears don't get them all. They have been a real pest this fall.
John

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,134 (Edited)
Here's something we haven't seen in a while here in our part of Texas. There was a major system that moved across this area starting Friday morning. It changes things a bit when you realize that I had dumped the rain gauge late Friday evening -- it had 4.5 inches in it at that time. This picture was taken this morning (Sunday) with another 3 inches in it, so our 72 hour total was something in the neighborhood of 7.5 inches. We definitely needed the rain. Don't have a picture of the 4.5 inches on Friday evening, but trust me it did happen:biggrin:
Oct15Rain.JPG

Another thing I haven't seen in a LONG time is an ad that says unlimited on 22 ammo. I know that 10 cents per round isn't great, but this is small town TX. I bought two of the 300 CCI MiniMag boxes (one for me and one for son), largely because I had no MiniMags. Hope the supply continues to grow.
22 ad.JPG

Hope those of you who needed rain got some without flooding and those who need 22 ammo find enough to keep the squirrels and cottontails at bay! Thanks for looking in! John

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Saw a couple boxes of Automatch last week in Walmart but passed on it. I don't need ammo bad enough to pay $26 for 300rds yet.

Stu

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,138 (Edited)
Hope y'all had a great Thanksgiving! It was crazy here as all the kids (and grandkids came in) -- the real problem was that it started raining on Wed evening and it's still raining. We had hoped to do some shooting, but it didn't work out this time -- hey we can always use the rain! Got another 3 1/4 inches as of this afternoon.

We had also hoped to do some dirt work with a rented skid-steer, but didn't even pick up the machine with all the rain. Would have been a waste of money.

Got a fun picture of me and the boys though -- I'm the one with the full head of hair:laugh: Grandson in the rear, gray headed SIL, son, and me! All of us had facial hair -- the boys will keep theirs, but mine disappears at the end of November.
Boys1.JPG

·
Registered
9,500 Posts
Fine looking bunch there John.

Rain!! What's that?

Had less than an inch here this month. Farmers are irrigatin to soften the the ground so they can plough.
Had snow last Thursday, last week of spring.:stupid:

Cheers,
Mark.

1121 - 1140 of 1193 Posts