Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 1193 Posts

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Dang John, If 8" of rain doesn't help out I don't know what would! And 22's for under $70 a brick!!!!!.........You're in fat city man!!!!!!!

The good news here is I have some 22's saved up and we went to ID for my sons wife to be bridal party. BUT us guys went gopher hunting!! Five of us guys killed over 500 gophers in 2 1/2 hours and we didn't move much! It was awesome!!

Glad to hear things are going good for you.

John

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,003
Yep 1000 replies and crowding 80,000 views! It'll never be like the 35 Remington thread, but its a lot of fun. BTW, I just added to my little Marlin family. I bought the 45-70 Cowboy that PapaJohn had for sale and I now have it in hand! That sucker is scary just to look at :biggrin: I now have an 1894C, a 39, a 336 in 30-30 and now the 45-70 so I have one of each style of center fire Marlins. I bought the 1894C in fall 09 at Cabela's but the other three have all been bought from other members here on MO and I am really proud of that. I'll post a pic of the entire family when time allows, but for now, here is the new one. It really is a beauty! 45-70.jpg Y'all take care and if you have 50 rounds of 45-70 brass and about 100 300 grainers, I'll be beholden to ya. I have no ammo to shoot:biggrin: Have a good one! John BTW, I will send payment for the brass and bullets:flute:

·
Registered
9,500 Posts
You mean that tightwad didn't send you any ammo?:biggrin: If I had some I'd send it but I don't so I can't.:hmmmm: Didn't think he'd be that mean.:flute:

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,005
As promised, here is a picture of the family (which is complete unless I find a really good buy on a 60:biggrin:) From top to bottom, a 2009 1894C (the one that got this madness started), a 1982 336 in 30-30 (that I bought from MO member "grady" in Jul 2012), a 1976 39 (that I bought from MO member "jpickar" in Nov 2012) and a 2002 1895 Cowboy in 45-70 (that I bought from MO member "papajohn" last week). The 39 wears an original Marlin Microvue scope (4X)and the Cowboy wears a post WWII Weaver K2.5. I am blessed that I have 4 really nice rifles that I feel I paid a fair price for and that are all better than 90% condition. The only one I bought new is the 1894C and I am really proud to say that my others were all purchased through the trading post here at MO! It ain't the biggest or fanciest family, but it is all mine!:biggrin: Y'all take care! John

Rifles1.jpg

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hey John work and medical issues have kept me from getting up your way in awhile but if you PM me your address and such I'll send you some brass and bullets to get you started. Mark.

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,009
Holy jiminy cricket Batman! Last nite when I closed down I was about 50 views short of 80,000! Look what happened overnight! Thanks folks for stopping in to look and definitely don't be afraid to post! This is a very eclectic thread! Hopefully I'll be able to shoot the new rifle by the end of next week! Thanks Mark and Charles for the offers to help a 45-70 named "Too Quiet" 'cause I have no ammo to shoot in it!:biggrin: I'm getting there thought thanks to MM22UC John

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,010
Things sure look pretty in Texas when we get a little bit of rain FrontYard.jpg Bermuda is very forgiving of drought!

Thanks to MM22UC, I have what I need to reload some 45-70. Thank you very much Mark! You are a gentleman and scholar and ain't many of us left! John

45-70 stuff.jpg Y'all take care because I care! John

·
Premium Member
28,803 Posts
Just poped in for a visit ,,
Yes sir" you got her lookin a good John,,
We are getting rain pretty steady.
The gardens are doing well, and starting to get some corn matters squash and peppers.
Yall stay safe and well John..

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,012
Glad you stopped by Randy! We've had about 10 inches of rain since mid-June so we're in good shape (at the moment)! We never complain about too much rain in this part of Texas! Say Hi to Miss Deb! John

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,016
Yeah, Mark, and I don't play golf (at least not the gentleman's game). Here at the Hoot 'N Holler Hidey Hole, we hit donkey nuggets with a cedar limb! I've developed a nasty slice and here the rough is really rough! Even on the fairways, sometimes its hard to tell your ball from someone else's :biggrin:!

Looks like we may have some new wildlife at the place as a little wren has built a nest in my surface planer (and filled it with eggs)! I hope the eggs are viable.
WrenClutch.jpg

I tried something new with the tomato plants this year! Since water is becoming the new oil in Texas, I wanted to be sure not to waste any by watering weeds instead of the plants. So, I buried a 2 liter soda bottle (with some small holes drilled in it) right next to the plant at planting time! Works very well:biggrin:
tomatowatersystem.jpg

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Sounds like a good idea John! Hope your tomaters like your new watering method! We've had showers here Sunday and last night. Rain gauge says we got 2.2 inches from both storms.
Whacking donkey turds with a cedar limb sounds like fun!! If'n they get hard enough you can always have someone toss them into the air and get some aireal shotgun practice! Don't have a garden in but the neighbors do and he begged me to shoot the groundhogs raiding his garden. Got six so far and two of them were sent to groundhog heaven with my .410 single shot Rossi. Only has a fixed modified choke and I use a 2 3/4 shells loaded with 1/2 oz of #6's. By golly, it puts them to sleep right smart at yardages I thought were not possible. The others were done in with .22 LR and .22 WMR loads. Hey, I'll talk at you later.

Bob

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,018
John and Bob,
Glad you dropped by! Are you still in Montana John? Bob I wish we had some more of your rain!

Hey, new additions at the HHHH! Five little wrens hatched yesterday! You can only see two little mouths in this picture, but there are five for sure
:biggrin:
WrenClutchHatch.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,020
Well, in late Jun I mentioned that we had 10 inches of rain since mid-June (actually that should have said "since mid-May . . ."). Not to worry though because yesterday afternoon about 5, the sky darkened, the temp dropped from 94 to 70 in about 15 minutes, and it started to rain! YIPPEE!! We were blessed with 2 1/2 inches in about 2 hours. Rain here in Mills County is ALWAYS welcome (as you already know)! I did put in a really poor picture of the rain gauge so you'll know it did happen :biggrin: RainJul15.jpg

1001 - 1020 of 1193 Posts