Marlin Firearms Forum banner

961 - 980 of 1193 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
John,

I got an excellent boar that was 150 to 175 lbs. No smell at all. Made great pan sausage. I've been told the ones that stink have been fighting or "dating". (This is a family site.) All I know for sure is, let your nose decide if the meat is good. You might have a good one. Then again, maybe not.

Mudman

·
Registered
763 Posts
I agree on the stinking hogs. A good friend of mine is a veterinarian, and he will not eat a wild hog. In his opinion they carry too many dangerous diseases.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Been killing and eatin these north Ga hogs for years, they eat just fine unless you get a ole boar up over the 250/300lb range or bigger, then they get a little strong. I like the sow's at around 200lb's and anything smaller. The sow pictured is about the right size.

Attachments

Reactions: papajohn

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #964
Happy Thanksgiving all! Proud to have each one of you as a part of my "family"! John

Reactions: NGa.MtnHunter

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #966 (Edited)
Well, the weather is changing in a big way here in our part of Texas (on a daily basis, it seems):biggrin: For instance, yesterday's high temp was 83, today's high was 79, and the high tomorrow is supposed to be 42 with a high on Saturday of 32! Our little town has postponed their annual Parade of Lights from this Saturday night to Saturday week! We're supposed to be getting some freezing rain and that's not good for parades:vollkommenauf:. The fall foliage is rather pretty as the oaks are really changing colors and the leaves are staying on (at least for the time being)
FallFoliage.jpg

Last week, we had a mini-ice storm but not enough ice to hurt the trees.

I hope y'all have decent weather as this big cold snap moves down! Take care, stay warm, and stay happy! I care, John

Attachments

Reactions: MM22UC

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Hey John. The Autumn colours look spectacular.
I didn't know it got so cold in your part of the world.
It's meant to be summer here but we've just had a front come through from the Southern ocean ( hale and sleet ) so I just sent the lad out to get some wood in.

Hope it fines up for your parade.

Cheers,
Mark.

Reactions: papajohnabi

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #969 (Edited)
Well, the weather is getting much more like places a lot further north than here. The actually high temp here today was 28 and tonight's low is supposed to be 18 with even colder temperatures tomorrow and tomorrow night. During the night last night (actually about 3 AM this morning) we had a bunch of lightning and thunder to go along with the ice pellets or sleet that as you can see from the pictures covered the ground. So far, no serious damage to any of the trees and no loss of power, but with more freezing precipitation to come tomorrow night, that is a greater possibility I'm afraid! The leaves are still on the oaks, so I'm most worried about them -- the cedars are pretty tough!

First two pictures looking off the front porch of the cabin. Last one is the cedars on the east fenceline of the property. BUT, we didn't see any of those "big boys" like jpickar for sure:biggrin:

IceStorm2.jpg
IceStorm3.jpg
CedarIce.jpg

Y'all stay safe and warm! I care, John

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #971 (Edited)
Well, the weather turned beautiful for our first MO member's visit to the Hoot 'N Holler Hidey Hole. MO member Yogi (from Denmark) and his family came to our little place on Sunday Dec 15 and were able to stay for a little more than 48 hours. What a marvelous way to spend some time with friends I met here in this great forum. Yogi and I have exchanged MANY e-mails over the last 11 months and had become fast friends before we even met in person. This first picture shows Yogi in the "Man Cave" with the Team 30-30 shirt that I gave him (along with a couple of extras)
Yogi.jpg

Sunday afternoon we did some barbecuing and just enjoyed getting to know each other. Then Monday morning we went to the Ranch Land Country Store to get Yogi a good western hat! Here's a picture of the young woman at the store who creased the open crown felt hat! Yogi really enjoyed watching the whole process!
YogiHatCrease.jpg

Then we went to the Goldthwaite Eagle (the local newspaper) for an interview for a story on our visitors and how we came to know them. I got a picture of the family in front of the Eagle showing Yogi in his new hat! He is really in love with the old west and particularly anything to do with Texas! Good lookin' family for sure!
FamilyinGoldthwaite.jpg

Tuesday we went out to do a bit of shooting on the 50 yard range. Yogi owns a 336 (in 30-30 obviously), an 1897 (made we think in 1903), and a model 39. He is also working on a deal for an 1894C so he really wanted to shoot mine (obviously he loved it). He also shot my Windham Weaponry AR with the little TruGlo red d0t sight. Here's a picture of a 15 shot group! Pretty good for anybody! I know, pictures or it didn't happen, so here's a pic!
YogiARTarget.jpg

Here's a pic of Yogi and me in the front yard as they were preparing to depart -- we really didn't want them to leave. They had travelled from LA to Goldthwaite via LasVegas, Grand Canyon, Roswell, and Carlsbad Caverns.
YogiJohn.jpg

Y'all have MERRY CHRISTMAS and a Happy New Year! We care, John

Reactions: Yogi and MM22UC

·
Registered
22 Posts
WOW! Thats a nice place, John.
Good job!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Very nice, thanks for sharing!

MERRY CHRISTMAS John and to your family!

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #976 (Edited)
To all who visit here, we at the HootNHoller Hidey Hole wish you and yours a Merry CHRISTmas and a Happy Happy and Properous New Year. Let us always keep in mind the Reason for the season! I believe that those who come here regularly know that I hold all of God's creations dear -- Y'all are some of my greatest blessings! Thanks for coming by something over 30,000 times in the last year! Take care, 'cause I care! John

I nearly forgot, Yogi gave me a Danish bullwhip that he had made himself. That rascal is 16 feet long -- here's a pic of Yogi swinging it (he's over 6-5 so you get it to scale). I can't imagine a more fun way to spend some time just before Christmas with new friends. Y'all come sometime -- Yogi and I had been talking about them making this trip since June!

YogiWhip2.jpg

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I hope you and yours had a Merry Christmas John. Our youngest son is home so things are getting broke! He is 26 by the way!!! Oldest with his new bride and her best friend. We are having a great time. Blew up 2lbs of tannerite today! 45 yards away and it about blew our hats off! Lots of shooting off the deck and hitting gongs and stuff.

I will be going to AZ right after the first so I can get my asthma under control.

John

·
Registered
257 Posts
All the best to you all for the new year from "downunder". I see on the news you are getting some cooler temps up there. Blow a dog off a chain too.
Keep warm and dry.
I love this post, it has a warmth of its own, thank you all.

Regards

John aka T.S.

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #979 (Edited)
I haven't posted anything yet this year, so I thought I needed to let y'all know I was still kickin':biggrin: The weather here in Texas is the biggest topic of discussion right now. I'm going to post some pics so you can see the wild temperature swings we've been going through. First is a picture of the little snow/sleet storm that hit here Thursday morning last week (Jan 23rd). On Wednesday, the high temp was 75! Ouch for the old joints. Not much moisture out of it, but biting cold!

70Yesterday.jpg

The little waterfall by the patio did its best to imitate a frozen over Niagara Falls
MiniNiagara2.jpg

Fast forward to Sunday afternoon when the temperature was 75 again! It sure isn't spring time yet, but the temperature was right to do some tilling in the garden! I didn't quite have enough gas (in me) to finish the job and I'm not going to do it today as the high temp is to be 40 with a low in the morning of 21.
GardenTilled.jpg

That's OK though because by Friday it's supposed to be 70 again. The biggest discomfort (other than the vicious temp changes) is we are experiencing what is called an "explosive pollen bloom" on the cedar trees. I've never seen it like this before -- thankfully we don't suffer from allergies, but that pollen is covering everything! The trees almost look like they're on fire because of all the pollen blooms!
CedarBloom1.jpg

Hope y'all are staying warm and well and are having a Great Happy New Year! John

Attachments

Reactions: MM22UC

·
Registered
526 Posts
Wow John. Never seen cedar pollen like that. It's been a couple of months since I've been to my place looks like I'm in for a surprise when I get there. Mark.

961 - 980 of 1193 Posts