Marlin Firearms Forum banner

581 - 600 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #581 (Edited)
Thanks for continuing to look folks! I appreciate it -- thanks for the concern Jackruff! Doug, I think they'll get there in time, but gotta admit it's gotta be a hoot to shoot something at night when they can't see you -- son has a Gen 2+ nite scope on the AR10 and it is amazing!

What a difference a week makes in TX weather. This pic was taken out the front door of the cabin about 4pm last Sunday (Feb 12)

P2120078.JPG

This one was taken from same spot one week to the hour later. Crazy for sure. Actually 24 hours after the snow it was 70 degrees.

P2190079.JPG

Bought a new tiller (PoulanPro) and so had time to get the spring plowing in the garden done as you can see in the second pic. Now comes the plantin' :) We're doing well! We couldn't walk yesterday or the day before because we had RAIN -- got about 2 1/2" over the two day period. Wife is quite comfortable walking 1/4 mile, but do suggested shorter walks and more of them so we're trying to walk about 200 yards five or six times a day. Thanks for caring and checking on us. Later, John

·
Registered
9,497 Posts
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN. :congrats::beerglass:

Reactions: papajohnabi

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #584 (Edited)
OOPS! Realized it had been over three weeks since I posted anything. Working on a couple of woodworking projects, but mostly enjoying the beautiful weather. Yep we've had some rain, but yesterday and today was mid 80s with lows about 58 or so. Got tomatoes, peppers, squash, radishes, and beets planted, but the best part is the asparagus bed. It's really coming into its own as this pic shows. That asparagus with cheese is sure good on baked potatoes. Anyway, hope y'all are well. I care. John
P3250081.JPG

·
Registered
9,497 Posts
Hey John, asparagus is good tucker and a bit fickle to grow, you've done well. The reckon sheep manure is good them.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Planting a garden?!!! Holy Moly Andy! We still have snow banks around the place. The frost is coming out of the ground and the mule deer are down looking for anything to eat. The pickings are still slim for them. We are still 6 weeks away from planting a garden at the soonest! I love Asparagus!

John

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #587
Oz, the asparagus was started when we bought the place, but we have been working to improve the quality. The bed is gradually spreading and that's good -- plus a healthy dose of composted donkey doo seems to work for fertilizer and bedding for the winter. The bushy stalks were about 4 feet tall last winter and so thick that the cats were climbing in it. All I know for sure is that some of the shoots are coming out of the ground over3/4" in diameter. We just cut it and eat it and don't really figure we did much except bed it down late winter. I'm told once you get asparagus started, you can't kill it:eating: We've actually been giving away some.

John, yep the weather here is really nice this time of year. Hope the tomatoes do better than last year. The garden is a sandy loam (yep I'm and Agronomy major) and should be good for the beets and radishes and squash. Peppers last year were amazing so hoping for a repeat of that. I saw 5 whitetails a couple of evenings ago but nothing like those muleys. WOW!

Thanks guys for commenting -- i've missed y'all! I care. John

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Hi John, good to hear things are good! I get jealous about your good weather. Just coming back from working on the timberframe and the snow is still almost even with the roof of my Ranger pu that I parked last fall .. Ugh

Sent from my Alaska Communications Android using Forum Runner

·
Premium Member
18,013 Posts
Sounds like you're off to a good start on a field full of vittles! The hard part will be keeping the critters out of it, and figuring out what you want to eat next! Enjoy the bounty.

Always good to hear about your exploits. This still one of my favorite threads, whether it's busy or not. :p

·
Registered
763 Posts
Welcome back! I've missed your reports. Gardens here in South Mississippi are weeks ahead of normal. Corn and beans are up and tomato plants have been set out. I usually don't set out tomato plants until April 1. We could have planted stuff in early February that we normally plant in mid-March. Frost is still possible even until the first week of April, but extremely unlikely.

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #591 (Edited)
We really enjoy our slice of heaven here in TX! The man who originally built the old cabin, planted the orchard, etc. was a craftsman as well. Guess it comes with the place. We spent some time a couple weekends ago getting the pond cleaned up and putting in a new pump so the waterfall by the patio at the original house is working. Had to have a BIG forklift to stack these rocks.
P3300085.JPG

But hey its springtime here for sure. Flowers popping all over the place. First some of wife's prize irises (pretty good size). Then some TX wildflowers (some would call them weeds) and then the one little Bluebonnet (TX state flower) that's growing on the place. Next year hope to have the orchard full of those.
P3300083.JPG
P3300088.JPG

And finally, just to keep my hand in woodworking, I'm building a nite stand for SIL! All this is left over lumber (including the mahogany top, drawer fronts, and front facing on sides). The only lumber I bought was 1/4 sheet of 3/4 birch plywood for the drawer sides and back. Finish will be Minwax stain of some sort (yet to be determined). Looks pretty good for scrap (even the glue joints look good). Didn't want you to think I had lost interest in woodworking. P3300087.JPG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
You are one talented fellow John! Nicely done..

Sent from my Alaska Communications Android using Forum Runner

·
Registered
763 Posts
Glad you're back to doing interesting projects. Keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
18,013 Posts
Love the photo of that gigantic Iris! I used to grow them on the sunny side of the duplex I lived in, nothing else smells as good as a wall full of those purple irises! And the colors are spectacular.

Good to know you're still making sawdust. :top:

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #595
Hope y'all have a Happy Easter! What's not to be happy about! He is risen and that is amazing. I care, John

Reactions: Delta Six

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I hope all is well with you too John. I went to the shooting range on Sunday, after church, to shoot the centerfire rifles so as not to disturb the neighbors on Sunday. Everyone else had the same idea so it was a time consuming deal and I didn't stay long.
Been working on bucking up blow downs that a wind storm blew down a few weeks back. Man, I hurt after sitting on my butt for a few months this winter! :)

John

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #597 (Edited)
Sorry I've been out of pocket for about a month! Had to go back to Abilene to clean up pool at the house there as we work to sell the property. Then my computer went pfffft and was without it for over a week. So I'm back and had to put in a couple of pics. First one is of the newest arrival at the Hoot 'N Holler Hidey Hole -- Jack Jr!

P5100561.JPG

Second one is of a decent sized red squirrel I shot at about 25 yards off the front porch at the cabin! I know the rifle ain't a Marlin, but haven't found a 39 to my liking and so this little Henry is getting me used to levers. Guess it shoots OK and a one shotter on a squirrel at 25 yards in a tree with irons and 71 year old eyes is worth a pic anyway :biggrin:

P5010100.JPG

sometime next few days, I'll try to post some pics of where I grew up in KS. the old home place was in a twister path on Sat after Easter that was devastating. so many memories of the place it's kinda hard to talk about! Hope y'all are well because I do care! John

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Papajohnabi, Its good to hear from you again! Good luck on selling the house and I look forward to seeing the KS pictures.

·
Premium Member
28,803 Posts
Fine shot with 20 year old eyes:biggrin: Old JR looks like a chip off the ol block!
Gunrunner,,,

581 - 600 of 1193 Posts