Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Spent the weekend putting more cedar on the walls downstairs so included a couple of pictures of the result of our labor. First one is outside of stairway and the closet under the stairs.
P6140016.JPG

The second one shows inside the closet and the area that will serve as emergency storm shelter.

P6140019.JPG

Hope to have pics next week of the storm shelter fully equipped. Getting there slowly -- will start electric boxes and fixtures last week of Jun. John

·
Premium Member
18,003 Posts
Keep 'em coming, John. You and your best friend are living a dream I've long harbored.

I bet that place smells pretty good, especially right after you get done cutting planks! 8)

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Had some business to attend to this Saturday and wife has jury duty tomorrow (Monday) so we only got to spend 24 hours this weekend at the place. Put in trim in the closet and installed closet rods so that area is done except for door and floor. I've put up a pic of the outside of the house showing windows installed (and screens).
P5030539.JPG

I also promised a picture of the emergency storm shelter fully equipped in last week's post, so here it is. Please understand this is attempt at humor -- not to say I don't take severe weather seriously! Remember the storm shelter is at back of the closet under the stairs. More next week! John
P6200001.JPG

Figured the Marlin would come in handy if I had to shoot my way out ;D (plus this is a Marlin Owners site) J

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,003 Posts
Both new pictures made me smile.........but for different reasons.

Don't forget a big sharp knife for the "shelter". 8)

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments guys! Went down this weekend and got 5 days work in -- most time spent on finishing up the electrical outlets, switches, lights, fans, etc. Had an old friend come down to help since he likes wiring like I like woodwork. The best part is, I had pulled all the wire to all the boxes and everything worked just like it was supposed to when we finished. Putting in two new pics. First one is upstairs looking toward the stairway and shows the little shelf area my wife dreamed up so people sleeping upstairs would have a place to put their paraphernalia (or something like that ;D).
P5240583.JPG
Second shows downstairs looking to the kitchen area. Kitchen cabinet on the wall behind the little refrigerator. The open space on the wall to the right will have a drop down ironing board in it. Wife thought running the tongue and groove horizontally on the one wall broke up the monotony. Think she's right!
P6280030.JPG
Next area of emphasis will be big storage drawers upstairs and then plumbing for gas and water. Cheers, John

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,003 Posts
papajohnabi said:
Wife thought running the tongue and groove horizontally on the one wall broke up the monotony. Think she's right!
I get the feeling that after all these years, you two don't argue about much. And you, being the perceptive soul that you are, know that if she offers an idea, it's worth trying. And I happen to agree with your assessment about the horizontal tongue-and-groove. I like it too.

Keep'em coming, PJ!

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Registered
997 Posts
Very nice cabin. We hope to build a retirement place in the next few years. I like the roof line and barn/shed as well.. Enjoy and know most would love to have such a place.

Be safe
Patty

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I like it !!
Is it for rent?? ::)
I could use a vacation ;D
,Just kidding,
I have a camper that I can drop some place far away for a get away....

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Once again guys, thanks for looking and commenting. I guess based on number of hits that folks are enjoying the ongoing saga of the "Hoot 'N Holler Hidey Hole" (which is what we call the entire place). Hope all had a safe and enjoyable Independence Day weekend. We spent the weekend at our place with some friends and most of the stuff that got done isn't something to brag about -- did work on the drawers for upstairs (the biggest one is gonna be 57" wide, 34" front to back, and 20 1/2" deep). Them rascals will be heavy for sure. Putting in a pic of the working end of the barn (the woodworking shop), the north end of the upstairs sleeping area in the cabin, and some of the fruit from about 1/2 of 1 of our 3 peach trees. Enjoy! John

P7110041.JPG P7120054.JPG P7030040.JPG

·
Premium Member
18,003 Posts
That Wood Shop is ENTIRELY too clean, I wouldn't know how to act in there, I have to tromp through five or six inches of sawdust to go anywhere in mine. And I don't even build much there, I seem to be a far more accomplished Sawdust Generator than Woodcrafter. I'm guessing that ShopVac of your gets quite a workout!

Now you've got me wondering. What are you gonna do with all that spare time when you get it all finished? ???

Keep 'em coming. There are obviously quite a few of us who are following your progress carefully. And wishing we could do it, too! 8)

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
When I'm really using the table saw, 12" compound miter saw, 13" planer, and 3 1/2 hp router mounted in a router table I built, there is God's plenty of sawdust I assure you. Had to have one picture of it clean to show folks what it was supposed to look like.

Hopefully when this project is done, I'll have time to do more in the shooting and reloading areas. Not much time for that right now :( John

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
OK,
So you'll know what a working woodworking shop really looks like, here's a pic of one when I'm seriously using it -- gluing drawers as you can see ;D P7110042.JPG

Here's a pic of the bookshelves we added above the storage areas upstairs! P7110047.JPG

And one of the two small drawers ready to have slides mounted and put in place (2 down and 2 big and one really big drawer to go) P7120055.JPG

Got the house plumbed for gas and water this weekend -- had that done professionally and it kinda blew our budget for a month -- Glad we didn't hire the whole darned place built! Enjoy. John

·
Premium Member
18,003 Posts
I had heard the Master Woodworker from "This Old House" had retired................So do we call you PJ or Norm? ;D

And do you REALLY have 19 Routers? Norm did..........and he kept them in giant drawers, just like yours! Coincidence? I wonder...... 8)

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
VERY hansom project! VERY nicely done!

Thanks for sharing the pictures and the progress with us.

41 - 60 of 1193 Posts