Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1193 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
This is nice. Two questions. Where did you get the plans? Where in the TX hill country (if you don't mind me asking)? Have always loved the hill country. Have a daughter that lives in Austin. Sometimes run out there and use her place as "home base" to roam around in the hill country.

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
MudMan,
Drew the plans myself on sheets of 8 1/2 X 11 typing paper! I did get some ideas for the barn that we built before we started the house from an outfit in Ft Worth http://www.handiplans.com. Ordered a book for about 20 bucks I think and went from there. An architect would die of fright if one were to look at my plans, but they work for me! More pics coming later this evening.
The place is about half way between Brownwood and Lampasas just off Hwy 183. It's more for relaxing than hunting or fishing but serves as a base camp for both. Thanks to everybody for looking. John

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Promised some more pics so here is one looking up the stairs in the cabin
P5240580.JPG

And one looking down the stairs as well.
P5240581.JPG

The cedar on the walls was what I call cabinet work on a grand scale! It's lookin' better all the time -- 'cause we're getting closer to completion! Lots yet to do. John

·
Premium Member
18,003 Posts
I'll gladly look at any photos you post. I really like what you've done with the place! :D

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks to all of you for looking and for the kind comments. This house will actually be our primary home when it's completed (or shortly thereafter). Our idea was to build an energy and space efficient house -- my wife says the 3000 sq ft we have now is getting too tough to clean ;D (and I agree).

This coming weekend will be insulation in the downstairs so pictures may be not very interesting :p. Tell you what if they're too boring I'll throw in a pic of the barn we built that led us to believe we could actually build a house.

Thanks also to all of you long-timers who make Marlin Owners work! I appreciate your efforts! John

·
Registered
25,055 Posts
Thank you for being part of the Marlinownes family and sharing with us..

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Told last week was boring as far as pics were concerned -- pictures of insulation just doesn't rattle many folks cages ;D, but thought I'd put a couple of pics of the barn we built.

First, the exterior
P2090399.JPG

And then the interior of the "tack room" which is where most reloading will be done.
PC250297.JPG

The tack room is 8 X 16 and the workshop is 16 X 16 with a 20 X 24 shedded area out front. Also board and batten siding and standard pole barn construction. Both barn and house are meant to look like my avatar which is the cabin on the place when we bought it. More next week! John

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Well, the tack room is climate controlled as the Almighty chooses to control it :) Seriously, it is well insulated but not air conditioned (yet).

Promised a couple of new pics of the house project, so here goes! Know that looking at cedar walls is boring, but first pic is of the bedroom area of the house as we left it this afternoon. Son and son-in-law came this weekend to help us put 7/16 OSB on the downstairs ceiling and then wife and I started working on the walls. Obviously trim work still needs to be done.
P7260081.JPG

The second one is the thing that started the whole project -- my wife saw this cedar log and said "I think this would make a great porch corner post on the new house we're gonna build!" Now you know the rest of the story. Enjoy. John
P8090091.JPG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,003 Posts
That is such a neat, perfect, personal touch! It even has a place to hang a slung Marlin 1894, in case a coyote wanders into view!

Your bride gets an attagirl from me, for thinking in such awesome terms! :D

Reactions: Survivor99
21 - 40 of 1193 Posts