Marlin Firearms Forum banner

181 - 200 of 1193 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hmmmmm. That one on the right bears a striking resemblence to a particular talking purple dinosaur. What kind of hanky-panky is going on out there, PJ?

·
Premium Member
18,003 Posts
41, that's the one I made for my step-grandson, Charlie. Charlie is known to be hard on toys, I made his with that look so if he broke it, I would be too torn up about it.

What about you, PJ-ABI? You made anything for the little ones with all them fancy tools of yours? I'm looking for ideas to steal.............. 8)

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
papajohn said:
My only true grandkid is 17 months old, but I have another step-grandkid I claim who's a few months older. I got a wild hair and decided to make them some wooden ducks with rubber feet that go slap-slap-slap on the hardwood floors, my kids had them when they were little and they went ape over them. I had to design them on the fly and the paint jobs were kinda made up, but I hear they're a big hit.

The best part of making them was that I found a way to justify buying the band saw I've wanted for ten years! ;D
That's awesome, PJ!! :)

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
What little kid wouldn't love those! ;D

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #187 (Edited)
Looking for a picture of dump trucks I made each of the grandkids for their 2nd birthday -- not quite so sturdy as your work PJ! Those are neat -- good job!
Went to the cabin this past week -- it was bone chillin' cold for TX! Highs last three days about the freezing mark with lows below 20 and windchills in the single digits! Did get some work done on a table for the cabin -- it was originally (essentially) a 36" octagonal cutting board made of oak that I built in about 1966. Since that time, it has graced our home and the home of each one of our 3 grown children at one time or another. When it came back home a couple of years ago, couldn't decide what to do with it. So, we took it down to the south place and cut it down to a 32" octagon, built a new set of legs (just like the original design only longer) and it's perfect for a place to eat in the cabin. You talk about recycling -- we rock ;D
P1130356.JPG

·
Premium Member
18,003 Posts
papajohnabi said:
You talk about recycling -- we rock ;D
That's pretty cool that something you made 44 years ago has found new life. And it's been in use pretty much the entire time! You DO rock!

I'm hoping you can find the pics of those dump trucks.........those sound like something the grandkids would love. I was thinking of a train set they can pull around on a rope, with a half-dozen cars in different paint schemes, but right now I'm keeping my options open.

BTW, that house is starting to look more and more like home! 8)

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #189 (Edited)
Found a pic of the dump truck -- body is of cherry and the bed is obviously oak! Each one of the grandkids trucks was just a bit different -- some had cherry stakes on the bed, some walnut, etc. I think I've got the plans for it around somewhere. If you want it let me know! Overall length is probably about 16", about 6 inches high and four inches wide or so. Need lots of little clamps! Wheels were purchased at a hobby store!
John scan0034.jpg

·
Premium Member
18,003 Posts
If you come up with the plans, I've love a copy! My grandson would love something like that...........not so sure about the little granddaughter, though. Then again, you never know about kids. 8)

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #191 (Edited)
PJ,
a PM sent to you re: the plans!
We spent the last few days at the place and got a few odds and ends done -- biggest thing was getting the phones set up where we want them and getting DSL so can move the computer down there. Would liked to have had cable internet but not available in our new little town. Did quite a bit of work on a small chest of drawers for my wife -- will have some pics of that next week I hope! My wife did think that I needed to post a pic of her Christmas present hanging on the wall near the front door. It ain't a Marlin but she can use windage and elevation to hit a donkey's behind every time at 40 - 50 yards. They know to haul tail when they hear the cocking sound ;D My wife designed the hanging method -- said it looked kinds like a "thong" version of a scabbard! Hey it works for her! P1200357.JPG

·
Premium Member
18,003 Posts
PJ, I raised my two youngest kids on Red Ryders in the basement, shooting cans and junk. We picked up the BB's with a huge magnet, and then did it all over again. I got to where I could hit cans at 20 paces shooting from the hip, and the kids thought I was some kind of hot dog gunslinger. ::)

PM received, and replied to. Thanks. 8)

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Unfortunately my boys had our woods to shoot thier BB guns in, so no recycled BB's at our house. They bought a big box of marbles one time and used them in thier wrist rockets. I do find them ocassionally while cutting up wood. ;D ;D

John

Oh Yea, by the way... I love this thread... ;)

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
OK, this is as close to real time as it gets -- got the computer down to the cabin (where we spend most of our time now) so took a couple of pics today to post on here. First is a small chest of drawers that I built for my wife -- nothing fancy but it works. The little chest on top is a jewelry box that I built several years ago.

The second pic is my wife's new bike (not a motorcycle). She wanted a retro one because it fits both us and the place where we keep it.

Hope to get some shooting in this week as the weather is supposed to be warmer! I care and thanks for the comments. Later, John

·
Premium Member
18,003 Posts
jpickar said:
We love the pics and the good work you do. Keep the pics and story coming. ;) :) :)
Yeah! What are you gonna build next...........to entertain us, now that you've got us hooked? :D

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Next is to be a drive thru with enclosed storage on each side of a middle drive (this is typed by me but dictated to me by my wife ;D ;D ;D) Seriously, we need space for another vehicle (and if the county ever goes wet, it can serve as a barn for selling lightly malted hops flavored mildly carbonated beverages). Thanks for all the looks guys because this whole thing is a hoot. Later this week, a history lesson will be posted here. :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
papajohnabi said:
. Later this week, a history lesson will be posted here. :eek:
Hmmm, cool! ;D

·
Premium Member
18,003 Posts
papajohnabi said:
Later this week, a history lesson will be posted here. :eek:
Likely followed by a 146-question test, with mostly essay questions. Bring your crayons. ::)

I knew this was too good to be true.

181 - 200 of 1193 Posts