Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
P3160431.JPG
Photobucket changed and so I'm trying to rebuild the thread since PB won't show my pics. It'll take awhile so be patient!

Hope this attempt at photobucket works -- all new to me!

This is a cabin in the TX hill country that my wife and I have built -- no contractors, just a couple of senior citizens! Enjoy! John

·
Premium Member
28,803 Posts
Good for you PapaJohn, That gives us middleagers something to shoot for....Ill be looking for it ,Next time Im headed to El Paso..I like TX,Almost as much as home. Sometimes I work for a Disaster Team,Stayed out there a month when IKE hit.You got something to be proud of .Shoot Im Proud for ya!!LOL Gunrunner,,,

·
Premium Member
18,012 Posts
That's awesome, you and your wife are to be congratulated! I'm a bit of a sawdust generator myself, and can appreciate the scale of a project like that. Got any interior photos? How long did the project take to date, and what's left? I love this kinda of stuff.

And it has NOTHING to do with the fact that you have a cool name........... ;)

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Awesome cabin!!! Sure would like to be talented enough to try something like that but as I've posted before, whenever I pick up a tool at our house, the dogs roll on the floor howling with laughter and the wife starts dialing 911. My dad could work wood real well. Could go to your house, measure your kitchen, go home and build cabinets in the garage and they would fit perfect into your kitchen. Me, I can't even saw fire wood without near killing myself. They know me by first name basis at the ER in our local hospital. They have a full time clerk handling just my cases at blue/cross blue/shield.
358 Win

·
Registered
41 Posts
Fantastic! That is sweet looking! I want to build something like this in Northern New England... Gonna need some insulation though ;D

G

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for looking gang! We put up the poles (all 4X6X20' treated) on the 11th of October! Still lots to do inside but at least we're dried in! There'll be a composting toilet, gas heat (not central), gas dryer, and gas on demand hot water heater. Windows are recycled from an old house tho I built the screens. Obviously board and batten siding -- it's been a hoot to build but we're coming along pretty well considering three weekends lost to cold weather. Keep looking and we'll keep you advised! John

·
Registered
237 Posts
That's just downright COOL!

·
Premium Member
13,617 Posts
I love this stuff - things dreams are made of! Everyone wants a cabin/shack/shanty to call their own. Is this on some property for huntin/fishin? Doesn't matter, that's just what I would love to have. Keep the pictures coming as you progress. The workmanship looks to be great!

·
Premium Member
28,803 Posts
Shoot"" reminds me of about 9 years ago! Built my Dream House.A log home on 7.5 acres.After 20 years of marrage,and 10 years of drawing it on paper.Even went out side and found where I wanted my big windows to be up stairs,So I could put my heads up so I could see em as I pulled up.about 6 mos after it was built she told me she didnt love me no more!!LOL.Hard leavin I tell ya.Got over her but not the house!!.Went and bought this 100 year old house for 17000 dollars. Ant much but shes mine,and paid for..Think Ill go cut my wrist now...LOL.Want to build me a small cabin in the back of my Dads land, just to use durin hunting and spend a weekend along .Tryin to get my brother to go in on it..Good luck with this project,Cant wait for more pictures..Gunrunner,,,

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for the compliments guys! Here's a couple pics of what the upstairs inside looks like! 1X6 v-joint tongue and groove cedar on the walls. One pic shows where big drawers (20 feet total) to under the open storage area! Looking pretty good we think! John

P7190066.JPG P7120054.JPG

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Premium Member
18,012 Posts
Keep 'em coming, PJ! I am really enjoying this thread. 8)

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all! Got a new thread started in the 1894 forum with gun pics but won't double post the gun pics here -- should have more house pics next week! John

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I just hit this part of the forum as I don't have time to go through every one but this is a neat project and yea, keep the pictures coming.
It looks real good there PJ.

John

1 - 20 of 1193 Posts