Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Where have all the Marlins gone ?

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  44magman 
#1 ·
I live in San Jose Ca., I have been calling and looking at gun shops all over the SF bay area to no avail.
Thanks for listening to me whine
Bill

#2 ·
Where have all the Marlins gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago
Folks have bought them every one
When will they ever lever?
When will they ever lever?

#3 ·
In some cases many Marlin owners are hanging on to what they have considering the products that Remington is currently producing. If Remington gets its quality problems fixed then who knows what will happen with original Marlins. On the other hand if they continue to screw up then the original Marlins should increase in value or become horded more by MO's....

GB45

#4 ·
There is a similar situation I noticed in my neck of the woods. The last time I was at my local Cabelas I was checking out the used gun racks and their were no used marlin levers there, and I mean at all! No Winnies either, just a couple of lonely BLRs. They have some new Marlins with the rest of their new rifles behind the counter but I'm not interested in those for the obvious reasons.

#5 ·
Has anyone checked PJ's closet? :eek:

Jon

#6 ·
All my rifles and handguns are stainless, including my 5 Marlins, so I have never paid much attention to Blued guns. However, I am looking at a very nice Marlin 336 in .35 Remington that is blued. It is an older gun but looks in great shape and has the smoothest action I have ever levered. Shop is asking $350 for it and I may get it just to have for the future, plus I do not currently have a .35......

GB45

#7 ·
misfire said:
I live in San Jose Ca., I have been calling and looking at gun shops all over the SF bay area to no avail.
Thanks for listening to me whine
Bill
I live in So. California (working right now in Pleasanton) and I hear what you're saying. I would try Gun Broker for buying. I have experienced the same thing. I have seen 30-30 carbines at Turners in the past. Turners is a chain in the state. I have bought several older Cowboys on GB ( kind of pricey). from sellers with good feed back on GB. I have also gone on line and found out of state gun shops with great prices, but today, buying a Remington / Marlin, I think I would pass on that. You'll find it all on Gun Broker. Oh, by the way if the descrpition says "no sales to California" email them and question their reason. There are no laws prohibiting sales of Calif legal rifles from private parties out of state and the DOJ rules clearly state that. I bought 3 rifles, all from sellers saying no sales to Cal., and after I eduucated them, I bought their rifles!!!

#8 ·
Fish:

I'll second the California sales Paranoia. I too have purchased guns from out of state and even had to educate the local FFL holders! The rules are stated right on the CA-DOJ website. Once we got that all worked out, it's been great!

Ed
Bishop, CA

#11 ·
If you are not skiddish about buying internet guns sight unseen, you might try:

Whittaker Guns
http://www.whittakerguns.com/
They can order new rifles, just tell them the make and model (includes Marlin).
They always have used rifles for sale and occasionally Marlins; check them from week to week.

Ozark Guns
http://www.ozarkguns.com/main1.htm
They also have new Marlin rifles.

I have bought from both of these companies and was very pleased with the rifles received. You'll need a cheap FFL if you can find one. Mine only charges $20 per rifle. (St. Louis area)

#13 ·
If you're in the bay area, I'd suggest a trip to Sacramento to check some of the shops there. Check the phone book and call ahead to save some running around. THe bay area is not really hunter friendly. If you're in the north state, Redding has 3-4 good shops where I've seen Marlins - though I they have been selling out the older (North Haven) ones

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.