Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what some of your opinions were on where to zero a 1894 45 colt. I’ve got mine hitting .5 to 1 inch high at 100 yds. The issue with that is that it puts my POI about 3.5 to 4 inches high at 50 yds. I’d have to consciously hold somewhat low on a deer in that range. At what range do y’all sight yours in? Mine seems to shoot best with American Eagle 225 gr JSP, and I’m not a reloader yet.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I zero my 1894C in 357 mag at 75 yards. It has a drop of about 1" at 100 yards and is 1" high at 50 yards.

My 45 Colt rifle is a Rossi 92 and I zero it at 50 yards. With a 255 gr bullet it has a lot more drop of course, something like 6" at 100 yards. But I am currently thinking about zeroing my 45 at 75 just like my 357. It is slightly harder to do on my Rossi because of the difference in sights (Skinner peeps vs standard Rossi buckhorns) but that would be more practical I think.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I am not a hunter but a full time paper shooter . . BUT . . . I think the first consideration is what is the average shot you would take in your area? I hear most folks here in Nor'Carlina say you don't get too many shots over a hundred yards due to the dense woods. In fact a lot of friends say they lucky to see the dear before it hits them . . :fight:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I keep my 1894 (44 mag) zeroed dead-on at 100 yards. I would do the same on a Colt. All of my leverguns are zeroed at 100, and most of them wear various Kahles scopes. Some folks say it’s crazy to put that much glass on a levergun.
I say crazy to tell someone else what to do with their money unless they ask. Since you asked, I suggest watching eBay for a fixed power Kahles scope (there’s one on there right now less than $300), put it on with “see-thru” scope rings. This lessens the “overage” when shooting less than 100 yards. Zero the scope at 100, and the iron sights at 50. But similar to an earlier post...I know nothing. Don’t listen to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I was wondering what some of your opinions were on where to zero a 1894 45 colt. I’ve got mine hitting .5 to 1 inch high at 100 yds. The issue with that is that it puts my POI about 3.5 to 4 inches high at 50 yds. I’d have to consciously hold somewhat low on a deer in that range. At what range do y’all sight yours in? Mine seems to shoot best with American Eagle 225 gr JSP, and I’m not a reloader yet.
MSUDAWG,

Cast only for me and I do reload. 6 o'clock at 50 yards on a 6" bull or 3" high impact at 50. Similar to your outcome, only starting at 50.

If your stand has less line of sight than 100 yards, try a zero at a shorter distance. Also, know what the +/- is at several reference points in the field of view from your stand.

You will find the 45 Colt factory ammo is always loaded at black powder velocities unless labeled as +P. Reloading will open up an entire new world for the owner of a modern rifle in 45 Colt.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
MSUDAWG,

Cast only for me and I do reload. 6 o'clock at 50 yards on a 6" bull or 3" high impact at 50. Similar to your outcome, only starting at 50.

If your stand has less line of sight than 100 yards, try a zero at a shorter distance. Also, know what the +/- is at several reference points in the field of view from your stand.

You will find the 45 Colt factory ammo is always loaded at black powder velocities unless labeled as +P. Reloading will open up an entire new world for the owner of a modern rifle in 45 Colt.
^^^Agreed!!!

Check out Linebaughs custom sixguns’s load data with H110/W296 powder. Truly amazingly powerful without high pressure spikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,797 Posts
MSUDAWG:

I don't have a .45 Colt rifle,but do have a couple .44 Mags. They are sighted so the bullet strikes the top of the bead at 100 yards. At my self imposed hunting limit of 140 yards,the bullet strikes inside the bead. Perfect. The bead covers a deer backbone to belly at 140 yards,so it's also my rangefinder. Works great. Close in I aim a "half-a-bead" low. My sights have been set for years,and I'm not changing them.
If you like your sights where they are,don't change them. Learn your drop,hold,and distance,and practice practice practice.

Rob

Reactions: MSUDAWG

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
For me and my Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt, I'm dead on at 100 yards using the top of the bead. At 50 I'm about an inch high. My trajectory might differ from your American Eagle ammo. I'm shooting a Sierra 250 gr bullet on top of a case full of H110/W296 powder. My 1894's in 44 Mag act the same with a Sierra 240 JHP on top of a case full of H110/W296. I highly doubt that the Ameican Eagle ammo is loaded as hot as my upper end safe loads that are within SAAMI specs.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I highly doubt that the American Eagle ammo is loaded as hot as my upper end safe loads that are within SAAMI specs.
They're not...somewhere around 850-870 from a revolver. Doubt they are getting much over 1100 fps from a rifle if that much. Switch to something with a little more zip and weight and the trajectory will flatten out. I don't think the American eagle would be my choice as a deer load.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.