Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... the old-style front sight hood for a 336? I have two sc's (1949, 1951) that are, typically, missing their hoods. I don't like the things, will probably remove the hood when I take the rifles afield, but they are standard equipment.

Also -- when did Marlin begin using the white butt plate spacers? Neither of my SC's had one when acquired, but every illustration or photograph I've seen of Marlins from that era shows the spacer. Where to get the proper one for the SC?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Bill,

I just happen to have a white spacer. PM sent. Can't help with the hoods - I have buying them from Brownells when I need a few. SW

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
[quote="pisgahAlso -- when did Marlin begin using the white butt plate spacers? Neither of my SC's had one when acquired, but every illustration or photograph I've seen of Marlins from that era shows the spacer. Where to get the proper one for the SC?[/quote]

As they usually shrink after many years, I have made them from sheet polystyrene, abvailable from hobby shops - easy to find......it's the same plastic used in plastic models. It works easy, and is actually a little more rigid than the factory spacer. It comes in several thicknesses, and one or two of them ar erelly close to the original spacer thickness. Oh, and the polystyrene sheets are cheep and make several spacers....

Shum8

·
Registered
719 Posts
white spacers......

or use bleach bottles...the poor man's white spacer mat'l! :wink:

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
henry t said:
Pisgah,
Are you the same Pisgah that I see posting on Gunboards in the mauser section?
Sounds like a likely place for me to turn up but, no, that one's not me.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Darn it,I've taken them off and burned them for years.Always hated them,they look like chrome stips on a car.Or red rouge on nice cheeks. Should have saved them so them who like them could have more.Kinda reminded me of the pearl,shudder,grips on a nice pistol..or nickle silver and chrome guns not to mention the brightly polished stains'less steel guns of today with their plastic stocks. But then not many guys run around in a camoflauged baja volkswagon like I do.Been driving it since I built it in 1971.Think about that,no car payments for 34 years.HEAVEN

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
modoc said:
Darn it,I've taken them off and burned them for years.Always hated them,they look like chrome stips on a car.Or red rouge on nice cheeks. Should have saved them so them who like them could have more.Kinda reminded me of the pearl,shudder,grips on a nice pistol..or nickle silver and chrome guns not to mention the brightly polished stains'less steel guns of today with their plastic stocks.
I've done the same thing! I don't like 'em either, wish they'd never put them on. However, these rifles are not only "shooters" but part of my "collection", as well, and for the sake of the "collection" I want them as original as possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts