Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my rifle back from supposedly a good gun smith. I had him thread the barrel and cut mag tube back to clear suppressor on my 1894c 357. the threading looks fine, but the mag tube wiggles back and forth. he cut a new slot in the mag tube and the barrel band slides on the barrel now about 1/8" up adn down the barre. he cut the mag tube from the receiver end and now it has two holes in the top, one from wear the pin was previously. he did knock a chunk off the bill but idk what else i couldve done but complain. now i need a new magtube and gunsmith. where can i get one of these mag tubes? numrich, brownells dont have them. ill post pics when i get off work

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
Numrich will probably get more in but timing may be slow. Have you called the factory Ilion, NY? Not sure they sell parts anymore but it can't hurt to call.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
havnt tried them yet, i will after work.

any ideas of how i can reatach it? what we talked about before i gave it to him , was cutting the tube back an inch or so and moving the bbl band behind the sight, but i think this will require a notch to cut in the bbl to hold it in place. if i keep my tube, ill only have to cut the mag about a half inch but need a way to keep it atached in the receiver. any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
Probably won't work. My 1894C tube is .560" OD. My 336 (30-30 and 35 Rem) tube is .665" OD. They are probably referring to the .44cal 1894.

Reactions: lever addict

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
havnt tried them yet, i will after work.

any ideas of how i can reatach it? what we talked about before i gave it to him , was cutting the tube back an inch or so and moving the bbl band behind the sight, but i think this will require a notch to cut in the bbl to hold it in place. if i keep my tube, ill only have to cut the mag about a half inch but need a way to keep it atached in the receiver. any ideas?
Typically mag tubes are shortened from the receiver end to avoid cutting and drilling new holes/slots when the barrel is shortened. Not familiar with how it is done for suppressor clearance. The exception would be 1895 models in .45-70 with the loading bulge in the receiver end.

The mag tubes don't attach in the receiver. They attach on the cap end near the muzzle. On my 1894C (2002) the tube cap screw appears to pass thru the tube and into a slot in the bottom of the barrel. You will definitely need a small groove in the underside of the barrel for the front band clamp to pass through just like the slot in the top of the mag tube if it was a similar vintage.

You might want to post a couple photos and offer what year your 1894C is for others more experienced to help you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ill definitely post when i get home, i think what he did was cut from receiver end, then the bbl band woudlve ended up over the sight so instead of losing a round he cut another cap in tube and put on, and for some reason its not catching on the bbl cause the tube and band is combined sliding together, but it does stop after a 1/8" or so. i need to look at it again. man this made me mad. i wish he wouldve told me he couldnt do it before he started until telling me after he couldnt do anything for it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
one more question, ive been looking through previous threads for info and found a link to brownells MAGAZINE TUBE | Brownells , Is the 1894 cowboy the same outer diamter of the 1894 presafety? this would be exactly what i need so i can cut it down and put in my own notch in the correct spot since this one is made a few inches longer

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Both Numrich/Gun Parts and Brownell's have cataloged generic magazine tubes, cut them to length and file and drill whatever features the gun requires. Check the sites for current offerings. Also mike your current tube diameter to see which size you'd need.

The only thing holding a Marlin magazine tube longitudinally is the barrel band and screw, the screw should be fitted so half is in a groove in a barrel, half is in a groove in the magazine tube, both being tight fits. Sounds like your gunsmith didn't do that. The magazine cap screw has a tit that extends into a groove in the barrel. So if you want a factory-type fitment, you'll need some milling done for the groove(or have a VERY steady hand with a Dremel and cutoff wheel). I have also seen a dovetailed piece that an extended cap screw fits into, the cap is just clearance drilled, not threaded, and there's a raised portion around the screw hole in the dovetail piece that fits into a counterbore in the magazine and magazine cap. I saw this on a custom lever that had heavy recoil, one of the Alaskan guns. With a Marlin, you do NOT want a fixed magazine tube connection at the receiver, think of what will happen to your point of impact if the barrel is fixed at the ends and it heats up.

You're still going to need a barrel band, however you do it, and will probably end up with an unused notch in the barrel. You could chop it back past the notch if that offends and get it redone properly, more money in the project, though.

Stan S.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so I've took my 1894 and my 336 apart to find out what alexactly was wrong. First off the mag tube in my 1894 looks like he used a pipe cutter and it beveled the mag tube which is really loose. My 336 snaps in. Idk why but the 336 fits snug and the 1894 wiggled side to side a little. After seeing that the notch isn't the same sizenor center with bbl notch and is deeper got it to quit moving around after putting it back together. It has some play but not like before. Ill still have to replace it because it has a daggum hole in it. I can't believe everybody talked so highly of him and then mess up on a simple project like this. Now the threading did look good though, but I don't think ill let him work on anything else I need dine.
Im going to order that marlin 1894cb tube or one of them blank tubes which ever is cheaper and do it my self. Just drill a hole for mag cap and groove it, gotta get it perfect though.
Here's the pictures. For some reason the camera made my gun look dusty, scratched and rusted . It really don't look that worn to the human eye.
Also is the mag tubes from numrich blued to match the marlin pretty close?

And I forgot to take the picture of the notched he milled in the tube. It was a little off.
And there's actually another notch about half way down the tube that he didn't notch at the forearm

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
My initial impression is that he started doing some of the work without really analyzing how the rest would go back together. The mag tube solutions, or non-solutions, look like after thoughts. Like stans4 said, I would bite the bullet, get another mag tube, and do what's needed to get it to fit on the modified gun and move on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.