Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kaintuck's recent find of the 1888 repro carrier got me thinking about hard to find Marlin parts. I often get requests for really odd old parts, and sometimes they are impossible, or close to impossible to find. Thought we'd start a list of really odd parts that we're either looking for, or have given up on looking for.
In the past I've had requests for the following, and with the exception of old .22 Marlin lever tubes, I've never found any of them.
Here we go:
1-The above mentioned 1888 carrier.
2-1895 Marlin bolts. Probably had 5-6 querries on these.
3-Takedown mechanisms for the 1893, 1894, 1895 Marlins.
4-Mag tubes, inner and outter for the 1891, 1892, 1897, and 39 Marlins.
5-Pistol grip lower tangs for 1891, 1892, 1893, 1894, 1895, 1897 Marlins. had one for a 1893 in 20 years of looking!
6-1881 dust covers. Actually had a guy build 4 of these for me, and sold them all in a week. Kept one more for over two years, and finally used it on my recent purchase.

Anybody got any more to add?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
1.) Complete latch type inner and outer magazine tube assemblies for the early Marlin rimfires- MM-93 touched on this one briefly, I know. There have been several requests for these in the past year. Wish Wisner's could/would tool up for these- certainly enough demand...

2.) Screw elevator Marlin rear sights- I've never seen one for sale.

3.) Like wise the old Marlin/Savage/Winchester/Lyman external adjust scope mounts and bases- in the last 15 years or so of gunshows and gun shops, I have yet to see anything of this nature for sale...

4.) Hepburn receiver sights for Marlin rifles

That's just off the top of my head- could probably come up with more if I were to sit and think on it....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
719 Posts
humm.....

heh doc...i know someone who got a weaver V8 external scope mount~with the triple crosshair scope in it!....as a present! i felt sorry for him, then again, i have a rockwell marked 22 now! :p
how about i add the marlin things i NEVER see....
1.Marlin letter opener
2.marlin boys ring
3.Marlin drygoods display for rifles

got tired of trying to find a good gift for my two friends here, and that's why i made the repo version of #3! :wink:

but in my neck of the woods teen and ky, i have found ONE razor blade box......and it was empty! :?

·
Registered
35 Posts
would you like to see some razor blades how about a razor blade dispensor also I will take some photos and but them on here

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Hard to find? Model 50 magazines!! Also bolts for the early lever-action 22s that have been broken by shooting hi-speed ammo.

I'd like to see the blade dispenser. Here's a few blades, a sharpener on the card & a factory scope base that now lives in a foreign country! :wink:

SW

·
Registered
272 Posts
One of these days I going to dismantle this old 81 heavy frame and put her on that BIG auction..Then I'll pass the word..She has a beautiful dust cover but no wood..A word of caution,went through a fire.But most of them are no longer used for anything but hanging on the wall..question,, how hot does it have to get to kill the spring on the loading gate on one of the 81s?Most of the other springs are almost as strong as new.. Thanks..modoc

·
Banned
398 Posts
One item I find very hard to find & I could use about 3 or 4 on my
Marlins is the German nickel silver blade front sight set in a dovetail
base. These are very hard to find. The problem with this sight is after
awhile the top of these sights get wore down (I would suppose because
of the soft metal used) & the gun will start shooting high. I have found that the rear buckhorn or Rocky Mt sight are easier to find.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes the German silver blades are tough, especially after Savage guys realised they were the same for 99's! I have a few spares, but Marlin sights are something I never sell for old guns, because I know someday I'll need one!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a few more blades Hogger. Plus a few match books, injector blade dispenser, some cartons of blades, some blade counter displays, a tube of shaving cream, and a poster I got from Colonel Larsen when I was 14, in 1964! I also got some pictures my dad took, and an autograph from Colonel.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Way cool!!! :D Ironically, the pics I've found of John Mahlon Marlin show him with quite a set of whiskers! SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Along with weird bits of Marlin info, and memorabelia, it seems I just keep gathering up more useless Marlin junk! My wife appreciates it though, and often ponders who the heck will wan this stuff when I'm gone? :shock: :shock: :wink:

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
NebrHogger said:
a factory scope base that now lives in a foreign country! :wink: SW
Yes, and after a slight non-factory modification, :oops: that base now carries a 4-12X 40mm A/O scope atop my old 39-A! One sweet set up, especially with the CCI HP Short- it groups much better than I had anticipated. I can't quite get over shooting this rig off-hand. Now to get the Sharptailed Grouse to co-operate before the local general rifle deer season scares 'em all to the outskirts of Gering, Nebraska! :wink:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Doc,

Well, they better sneak right on by as it is still chicken season here! Also centerfire deer season. Man you really have to drive carefully at night! The deer get spooked & you see them in the oddest places. Older daughter met one that way last year. Her car yet bears the scars!

Last trip, a nice 4 point buck was caught between two trains & he was going bananas not having an escape route. Must have come out okay as there were no remains on the track when I returned the next day. SW

1 - 13 of 13 Posts