Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
I saw a article a while back on them. I forget if whole gun or part of it is farmed out. I have lost interest in new Browning products a good while ago. Ever since they started the farming out out in 70s. Browning used to be a cut above the other companies. Their OU's, A5,s, Safari rifles, and HP pistols were some of best guns on the Market. Now they are just guns.

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
I don't think that Browning has ever manufactured their firearms. They have historically contracted manufacturers to build guns for them and put a Browning label on them. I know some were built by FN, Miroku, and SIG.
I have been researching their .380 and cannot come up with any definite information. There is apparently a manufacturing plant in S.Carolina but I have no idea what they make. This gun just seems farmed out to someone other than FN or Miroku.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Mr. John M. Browning was really an inventor, not a maker. Nearly all of his innovative designs were manufactured under license by other companies, including Winchester, Colt, Remington, Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal of Belgium, and Miroku.

Browning is currently a fully owned subsidiary of FN Herstal. The Winchester firearms brand is a subsidiary of Browning. FN became famous because Oliver Winchester did not want to make the A5 shotgun.

·
Super Moderator
16,669 Posts
I have been researching their .380 and cannot come up with any definite information. There is apparently a manufacturing plant in S.Carolina but I have no idea what they make. This gun just seems farmed out to someone other than FN or Miroku.
Beretta®

Reactions: Maineiac

·
Administrator
30,804 Posts
I like the size of this 1911 and would be interested if it were available in a 9mm. Leaning towards a SA EMP4 9mm which are easy to conceal.

Jack

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Browning made a few guns at their Ogdon, Utah shop but I don't know which ones and it was pre WW1. I had an M8 that was made by FN in Belgium. A lot of the scaled down 1911 style 22's under the cheaper labels, parts made in Turkey. Were they were assembled I don't know?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Only gun I remember Browning brothers making was their single shot rifle which was sold to Winchester as the model 1885. They may make the Challenger/Buckmark pistols however. The BDA .380 is clearly marked made in Italy by Beretta and the BDA 9/.38 Super/.45 gun was a SIG 220.

CD

Reactions: Owen49

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
It is correct that Browning was more of an inventor than a manufacturer. He sold his designs to Win, Rem, and Colt. Win was known to buy rights to Brn designs and sit on them to keep the opposition from completion. The A5 was turned down by Win, Browning was going to Rem with it when Rem guy died at Lunch on the day of the meeting. That's when he got associated with FN.

Later FN was basically the sole manufacturer of Browning. FN was known for high-quality guns. Now Browning is just a trade name shopping their new products where ever they can make the best profit, like everyone else. Old JM is long gone, the new guns aren't his design anymore. I'm not sure if Browning Co. designs guns or just buys designs and rights.

I have and have owned a lot of Browning guns. The Jap A5 I can find no fault with, as the other Brn & Win models they have made. Where I first noticed a departure from what you expected from Brn was the Brn HP pistol. The guns assembled in Portugal were not up to previous Brn standards on the fitting of parts. So like everything else I buy the old models before the bean counters destroyed the quality. If you have a Belgian Brn gun and compare it with a later farmed out gun you will see what I'm talking about. I'm a gun snob and I like it.

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
There are quality 1911's being made in the Philippines and I would not doubt if the parts came from there.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
I like the size of this 1911 and would be interested if it were available in a 9mm. Leaning towards a SA EMP4 9mm which are easy to conceal.

Jack
Good call. The best carry I ever had was a Colt Commander Light Weight in 9mm. Flat, reliable, light enough and accurate enough. Now that piece could tell some stories, plus a couple of mods I guarantee you never saw before.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts

Jack
I too like the EMP4. I have not handled one in person yet. They do seem a little pricey though.

·
Premium Member
12,128 Posts
Good call. The best carry I ever had was a Colt Commander Light Weight in 9mm. Flat, reliable, light enough and accurate enough. Now that piece could tell some stories, plus a couple of mods I guarantee you never saw before.
Mods ?..................Such as......................?

Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.