Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dang if the gun I'm dreaming about becomes available when I haven't got any money... My solution, sell something else. But what?

Unfortuneatly it might end up being my 336... Love the gun and it's been the most accurate 30-30 I've ever shot. One of the better looking versions I've seen too with nice wood and straight stock.

The desire for the "other" gun is strong and I ain't got anything else I could part with to generate the funds. I like shootin it but I have other guns that I hunt with. Major bummer.

Somebody slap me back to my senses.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I can tell you for a fact... if you sell one you really like to get another kind of gun you will kick yourself everyday for it.. sell one you don't like or just don't buy is my philosophy..

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Wet Dog -

In many ways guns are like women - you find a good one but there are always others to entice you. If you find a keeper, don't let it go for a promise and a song.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Being a "gun guy" has it's drawbacks for sure. There are two very real causes for regret for the gun enthusiast; Getting rid of a gun and passing up on a gun. There is no way to avoid them unless you are a millionaire.

From experience I can tell you this, though, getting rid of one is worse than the other. Choose wisely :wink: .

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,unless the bird you have is dead and spoiled or real beat,Keep it .Loyalty[Semper Fidelis] even to a seemingly inanimate construct of metal and wood ,I believe,is an admirable and often rewarded trait.It is,for this reason alone,that I still have have my 1970 .35 rem. about which ,the very same question was posed a couple of weeks ago.The .35 S.C. is still in the gunshop and I'm still scheming to find money for it but not at the expense of my loyalty to any Marlins I already have,Besides most hunter's around here know that you need a brand new super short, super magnum with a plastic stock and 50 mm scope to even get a squirrel ,I'm just too slow and behind the times and that S.C aint goin' anywhere fast.Shootrj2003

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks pards.

Duckbill you are correct. It looks like I'll experience one of those regrets as once again my lotto ticket didn't pay off...

My thought process for even considering the sale of my 336 is they are pretty common and easier to obtain. They all shoot well in my experience (4 of them) and of my Marlin levers (favorite long guns) it's my least used.

My pappy said "Never sell an accurate gun."

This one has proven exceptional and shoots better than most of my bolts actions. I've had offers to buy it at the range. Of course at that time, I wasn't lusting after something else and never gave it any consideration at all.

Unfortuneately the object of my desire appears when I'm low on gun money and it's priced lower than I've seen others... won't last long. Arrgh!

Thanks for the sage words. Either way, this one is going to sting.

·
Registered
594 Posts
WetDog, Are you going to leave us in suspense forever? :(

What's this mystery gun that you're after? You don't have to tell us where it's at, just what it is. Is it another Marlin? or levergun? or something exotic? or something nostalgic?

Give it up that way we can grieve with you and help you through this difficult time. :D :D

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
Exactly the question I was gonna ask. And could you pawn a gun or two until funds are available? I've used friends for that before, they hold my gun until I can afford to buy it back. Got any buds with too much cash on hand? :wink:

But enquiring minds want to know the name of the temptress...... :twisted:

Papajohn

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
And tell us where it is....I promise not to go look at it :p

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Call me superstitious or just an arse... but I ain't sayin nuthin until it's sold or in my hands :wink:

It's really nuthin special. I bet more than one or two of ya own one. Just something I've been lookin for for a while now and I stumbled upon one that was priced reasonably. Of course it happened when my wallet was thin.

The good news I *might* have found a friend that will pawn me the $$. I fear if I say more the gun spirits will awake and find another more worthy recipient and leave me broken hearted.

On a side note... I find it interesting that when I bought my safe there were several empty spaces in it. I never really thought I'd ever fill them. Now it's full and I still need MORE! I blame that on my lack of experience. Lucky for me my lovely wife suggested we buy another safe! :D :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts