Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I check every time I'm in a store that sells .22, and have added 0 to my stash in the last year and a half. Every time I ask the clerk, they say, we got some in but they were gone in an hour. Gone are the days of stopping at Bi-Mart and picking up a couple boxes of mini mags or a brick of anything on your way shooting, and throwing what you didn't shoot in a drawer when you got home, so you didn't have to buy as many next time. My inventory is around 800 rounds, and those are saved for special days with my grandson, I wouldn't touch them myself. How many people are like me who just quit shooting to be shooting, and save what they have. It sure takes the fun out of it when you think about each shot, and the hoops you have to jump through to replace them. UNCLE

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
I was talking to a guy that bought a 22 rifle for his daughter's birthday (as a surprise). He had to have ammo in time to give it to her with the rifle. He got in the car and headed through downtown of his small rural town and saw a sign out in from of the LGS "We now have ammo in stock." He had never seen any 22 bricks in either Walmart store in my area (which was a 25 mile ride for him) so he stopped to see if the LGS had 22 bricks in stock. They did, at $65 a brick! Total ripoff. He bought it, he needed it for that night. I told him if I were him, that would be the last thing I would ever buy from the LGS. Elephants never forget. I don't know how much longer the hording and the contrived shortage is going to last, but when Obama leaves and the country doesn't elect Hillary to the Presidency, we MIGHT have a chance of getting ammo.

Right now the CEASEFIRE organization is trying to get a 2nd ammendment crushing bit of legislation through the PA state house. Unbelievably restrictive. I don't know that it would get by the Supreme Court if someone has the $$$ to challenge it, but these anti-gun organizations have gone way too far. The problem is there are more than 1 million Democratic voters in PA than any other party. If that law passes, they could confisate weapons. That sounds like Hiltler's Nazi Germany to me. God help us. I for one am not turning over my collection of lever guns to anyone.

Mike T.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Oregon Stihl do you use Facebook? That is how I find my .22 ammo. I "Like" all the local LGS that still have normal pricing and I watch their news feed for when they get ammo shipments in. This has helped me buy 1000 rounds since the beginning of the year.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Do not give up. I actually run into more when I am not looking then when I am..

I, the wife, and my grown kids are just starting to shoot again now..It has been a long cold miserable Winter..

I am fine on .22 ammo. But it does go fast. What I am having a hard time with is .30 Carbine and 38-40:biggrin:

·
Banned
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To my knowledge, Obama has done nothing to limit my buying ammo or guns. Wallmart is full of guns, and any ammo I want, other than .22 or .22 mag. If Obama said we could only buy 2 or 3 boxes of ammo at a time, all heck would break loose, but as long as the store says it, its ok. I'm not standing in line or making special trips, I'm just done shooting .22 until this blows over. As far as price gougers, I'm like you, I won't forget even though I didn't buy any.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I check every time I'm in a store that sells .22, and have added 0 to my stash in the last year and a half. Every time I ask the clerk, they say, we got some in but they were gone in an hour. Gone are the days of stopping at Bi-Mart and picking up a couple boxes of mini mags or a brick of anything on your way shooting, and throwing what you didn't shoot in a drawer when you got home, so you didn't have to buy as many next time. My inventory is around 800 rounds, and those are saved for special days with my grandson, I wouldn't touch them myself. How many people are like me who just quit shooting to be shooting, and save what they have. It sure takes the fun out of it when you think about each shot, and the hoops you have to jump through to replace them. UNCLE
I am EXACTLY like you. I refuse to shoot what I can't replace, so at this point my .22's are worthless pieces of junk. The ammo/components industry has completely failed the American shooter and we should have seen this coming. They've been sitting on their asses, not doing anything to keep up with demand, and letting that part of the market be taken care of by Mexican and Eastern European companies importing their junk into the country. I am just filled with amazement that the country that produced the P-51 Mustang from a pencil sketch to a flying airplane in 18 months, can't supply the American shooter with .22 ammo in that same 18 months, and counting.

If you think about it, we are bound and determined to be like pre-collapse Communist Russia, complete with empty markets and people waiting in line for their government bread. Ammo is just the first commodity to have the shortages.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I still shoot often, but not nearly as often as I would like. My LGS just started getting in a somewhat steady supply of CCI standard at around $35 a brick, still way too high in my opinion, but I buy one every now and again anyways. As far as .22 high velocity or mag, forget it. Stuff sells out before I can even turn the key in my jeep.

·
Registered
242 Posts
We go to wally world around 7am and wait for them to bring out whatever ammo they got in that night and wait to see if they have any .22's some days yes some no

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Hey, Oregon Stihl. I am in the same boat. My .22 LR is pretty much reserved for my wife and daughter to practice on at this point since I can't replace what I have. I have a decent stash of target / standard velocity stuff as well as some high and "hyper" velocity stuff but, since, I can't replace it, I don't shoot it. I used to burn through 300 - 400 rounds of target grade on a weekend doing appleseed / AQT drills because I could readily replace my supply at a "normal" price. No more. Now I let my girls shoot the .22 and I shoot my .17 HMR or centerfire.

It is ridiculous that I can hand load 556 cheaper than I can buy .22 LR in most cases, and that's junk 22 like Federal American Eagle or Remington Golden Bullets. Sure, you can catch the 'decent' prices for bricks of this plinking ammo if you're lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time but heck with that. My 22 is for my girls and my close family at this point. I am not participating in this.

McyNHMarlin said:
I still shoot often, but not nearly as often as I would like. My LGS just started getting in a somewhat steady supply of CCI standard at around $35 a brick, still way too high in my opinion, but I buy one every now and again anyways. As far as .22 high velocity or mag, forget it. Stuff sells out before I can even turn the key in my jeep.

$35 bucks for a brick of CCI SV was a fair price unless you are talking about the paper box in which case $25 per brick was the norm. Either way, good stuff that's my go to "bottom of the barrel" target round. I prefer Wolf Match Extra (used to be ~$80.00/brick) or Wolf Match Target (used to be ~$50.00/brick) for my target practice...

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
To my knowledge, Obama has done nothing to limit my buying ammo or guns. Wallmart is full of guns, and any ammo I want, other than .22 or .22 mag. If Obama said we could only buy 2 or 3 boxes of ammo at a time, all heck would break loose, but as long as the store says it, its ok. I'm not standing in line or making special trips, I'm just done shooting .22 until this blows over. As far as price gougers, I'm like you, I won't forget even though I didn't buy any.
The scare of additional gun control legislation that was on the agenda after the Sandy Hook massacre is on Obama. Gun owners feared the results and started stockpiling ammo, which led to Hording. Stock piling and Hording led to supply shortages.

I believe that if we had something other than a Gun Control Liberal (or Fascist) in the White House, we might have adequate supplies.

I don't personally dislike Obama, but I strongly dislike his Liberal Agenda and the bunch of amateurs running the show for his administration. Our enemies know he's an appeaser and so do our Allies.

When the Original Amateur Hour adminstiration is over in Washington, we have to vote a stronger leader who follows the Constitution into the White House. Jeff Bush ain't it.

Mike T.

Reactions: packard and cp1969

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
i absolutely refuse to buy from the gouger dealers, even if it means less shooting (and I will remember those dealers, because they not get any of my business, now or future)

but I will say you can't always blame the dealers, I have one local dealer that is also a personal friend and I know exactly what he pays (including his rebates and discounts)
he frequently has to pay gouger prices himself just to get any rimfire for sale in his shop and he is just as unhappy as we are about it, and he fears people may think he is gouging, so seldom stocks it because he doesn't want to be accused of gouging himself

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Gather a few like minded friends and go on a road trip for ammo and what not. About twice a year a friend and I just make a day of some of the back woods shops and such and find a few things every time. Sure am glad I bought lots of bricks prior to 08

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
One other thing go to Wal Mart or whatever is in your area. Pick up a pair of Daisy BB guns, and 4 of them 6000 round bottles of BBs

Add a pump up 177 cal and a few tins of pellets for yourself.

Makes a lot of tin can plinking with the kids, grand kids ect and yourself.

You then can bide your time and keep on the lookout for .22s when you find them.

You should get out of the local mega mall for under $200

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
I save most of my .22 ammo for hunting, not plinking. But I'm still in good shape with about 12 or 14 bricks in the cabinet. I've only bought one brick in the last three years. All the rest was picked up back when it was cheep. I saw a price sticker on one of my bricks awhile back. I had bought the brick for $9.99/500 rounds. Those were the days.........

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
i absolutely refuse to buy from the gouger dealers, even if it means less shooting (and I will remember those dealers, because they not get any of my business, now or future)

but I will say you can't always blame the dealers, I have one local dealer that is also a personal friend and I know exactly what he pays (including his rebates and discounts)
he frequently has to pay gouger prices himself just to get any rimfire for sale in his shop and he is just as unhappy as we are about it, and he fears people may think he is gouging, so seldom stocks it because he doesn't want to be accused of gouging himself

Yeah, I'd say that the dealers are getting hosed too. I do know that some dealers charge more than other dealers for the same items, even when both dealers are not very large stores. But we have to expect to pay more for the convenience of having the ammo you need right there. I had been on the Midway Contact list some time ago only to find that when I did get contacted that the ammo I was waiting on was in stock, by the time I retrieved the message and called them, it was already gone. Now, I only use Midway to reference reviews. Their prices are too high and they are notorious for charging their customers for shipping items that showed "in stock" when you ordered them, but one or two items ended up being back ordered by the time it hit their system. I won't deal with that kind of crap. There's plenty of good companies out their that are straight up.

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
One other thing go to Wal Mart or whatever is in your area. Pick up a pair of Daisy BB guns, and 4 of them 6000 round bottles of BBs

Add a pump up 177 cal and a few tins of pellets for yourself.

Makes a lot of tin can plinking with the kids, grand kids ect and yourself.

You then can bide your time and keep on the lookout for .22s when you find them.

You should get out of the local mega mall for under $200
Swany, it's too bad it has come to that but you are right... it is still shooting. I have a little $40 .177 Beeman P-17 and a battered old steel Crossman pellet trap that gets 5-10 shots per day. Nice trigger pull, surprise break, offhand to make it a challenge. All of this is done indoors, which I would've never done with a Single Six or 39 model (my master plan includes staying married). Since I had to drive to shoot .22, I actually shoot more now than before ammo got scarce.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
I have never gotten on the 22 caliber bandwagon. I suppose its an OK round for target, but it seems to me you can tie up a fair amount of money in 22's and with the price of ammo these days, the cost savings has gone out the window. I was at the range last week and a guy and his son were shooting 22's and he complained about the wind throwing his shoots off. It was gusting over 25 miles an hour at times, but after this God Awful winter we've had, I just shot between high wind gusts with my 30-30. I can't blame the wind for my lack of marksmanship. :hmmmm:

Mike T.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I have never gotten on the 22 caliber bandwagon. I suppose its an OK round for target, but it seems to me you can tie up a fair amount of money in 22's and with the price of ammo these days, the cost savings has gone out the window. I was at the range last week and a guy and his son were shooting 22's and he complained about the wind throwing his shoots off. It was gusting over 25 miles an hour at times, but after this God Awful winter we've had, I just shot between high wind gusts with my 30-30. I can't blame the wind for my lack of marksmanship. :hmmmm:

Mike T.
I would imagine that shooting .22 Long Rifle in 25 MPH wind would present an EXCELLENT opportunity to learn and OBSERVE real world ballistic effects and would provide the serious shooter with some seriously good practice.

Reactions: Catherine

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I've got about a thousand rounds now and only use it occasionally to get rid of a pesky "tree rat" tearing up my garden.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts