Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on FB at Christmas. Still cool.
I am sure some of you have read this before but it is appropriate once again.
It's Christmas time and last night I once again watched Christmas Story. If you have never been in that position the movie seems to only have a single meaning. Because of the success of the Red Ryder BB gun, generations of kids learned about gun safety before they actually went on rabbit, squirrel and eventually deer hunts. Such was the mentality at the time. A much simpler time. Sears was a great marketing success. They knew how to grab the attention of their customers.
This brings us to the subject of Christmas presents. What young man wouldn't want to hunt like his dad? What if he could carry something that was already familiar to him to stalk deer? Enter the J.C. Higgins 45C. The marketing team at Sears was smart enough to capitalize on the success of the Red Ryder BB gun by introducing a deer rifle that looked like the Red Ryder. Why not? The Red Ryder was Daisy's way to capitalize on the success of cowboy movies. Marlin would build the gun from their proven 336 model. The fore end would have a slight belly. It would be a carbine length for two reasons. First it was aimed at being a kids big game rifle so it needed to be smaller overall. Length of pull would work with the average teenage boy. Second the Red Ryder was marketed as a "carbine" so the gun would need to follow suit. Since it was going to be used for big game it needed to be available with a matching scope. Sears utilized Weaver and its proven K4 relabeled as a "J.C. Higgins " scope. You could buy it either way. An option that was available but little known was that it could be purchased with the Weaver Pivot mount that allowed the scope to be tilted out of the way so the open sights could be used the the scope flipped back over and the rifle could still use the scope. I was born the year after the main marketing scheme was deployed but the same package was available the year I was born.
With all of that said I give to you what would have been one of the greatest presents a young sportsman could receive. My near mint condition 1962 45C 30-30 complete with pivot mounts. Merry Christmas to all.

Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel
Poster Font Advertising Motor vehicle Art
Musical instrument Font Gun barrel Folk instrument Wind instrument

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
I always wondered about what old timers were thinking when sitting in the rocker in the sun. Now that I have arrived I know. And I just love my 1964 Sears M45 in 35 Remington.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Now you sit on your couch playing on the cell phone and order from Amazon and get something you don’t need or want :oops:
Better to order from Alibaba, and get something that doesn't work.

·
Super Moderator
11,121 Posts
Used to be our go to place for automotive tools and appliances. Used to buy all of our lawn mowers and air compressors from Sears. Even the "Ted Williams" rifles. Yeah---I do miss Sears too !

·
Registered
375 Posts
Mine is from 1965 in .35. Love it
And yes, Sears was magical. Loved the wish books. As a kid spending all my time in the toy, gun, NFL clothing and bra section. Great memories.
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Line

Brown Wood Material property Publication Hardwood

·
Registered
505 Posts
My father was a die hard sears customer until he passed away at 93 in 2020. We found several of the Sears Farm and Ranch Catalogs from the early 60's he kept. He bought all his tools, tractors, riding mowers, chain saws and anything they sold he would buy from them.

My parents bought me my 1st gun at Sears for my 16th birthday in 1972- Glenfield Marlin 22. I still have it and is in nice condition as well.

I worked for JCPenney for 17 years, started in Package Pick up in college and worked up to Division Mgmt in Store Operations until I left. Sorry to see both of them go. Good companies back in the day.

·
Super Moderator
2,996 Posts
I miss all the old dept. stores. Sears, JC Penney, Bradlees, K-Mart, Woolco, Woolworth, Montgomery Ward etc. The memories of those old stores as a kid and teenager is what drove me to start collecting "store brand" guns, but mainly rimfires. I recall when the first mall came to town. There was a Herman's Sporting Goods in that mall and they sold guns and ammo. I bought stuff there and you could walk right out through the mall with your new rifle, shotgun or ammo. No one gave it a second thought. Try that today.
Publication Wood Font Cosmetics Art

Brown Rectangle Wood Font Natural material

Natural material Publication Font Rectangle Metal

Publication Book Material property Eyewear Cylinder

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Tints and shades Rim

Rectangle Wood Font Metal Electric blue

Wood Office supplies Writing implement Bumper Auto part

Water Azure Rectangle Wood Font

Yellow Finger Font Bumper Wood

Font Publication Bumper Wood Material property

1 - 20 of 107 Posts