Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make up some low power 30-30 and 35 Rem. loads using pistol powders like Bullseye or Titegroup. 5 grains doesn't take up much space in the case and I was wondering if some sort of filler was used because it's not mentioned when people are discussing these loads. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
13,327 Posts
As long as the powders are not position sensitive. Usually double base extruded flake powders (unique, red dot etc..) are not position sensitive. I use 13grs of Red Dot in all 30 caliber rifle cases larger than 30-30, no bigger than 30-06, with a 180gr. cast boolit with no problems. Get's about 1350-1400 fps.

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
I've recently been doing a lot of shooting with Bullseye and 148-160 grain cast wadcutters in the 35 Remington cartridge. Just under 5 grains (4.7-4.8 grains depending upon bullet) gives around 1050 fps, bullets are stabilized to at least fifty yards or more, accuracy is good, and report is mild.

The case necks are a little sooty because pressure is low, but a useful load it is for cheap practice, small game or pests. I don't find it necessary to use fillers as long as you're reasonably certain to keep the powder somewhere around the back or middle of the case. In other words, don't let it bunch up around the bullet before firing and you'll be fine. Titegroup is noted for being especially position insensitive as long as you're being halfway reasonable with the powder charge.

Good results may be had with no filler.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks pards, I already made some up with Trail Boss. I know they'll be fine. I went ahead and loaded 5 rounds with 5 grains of Bullseye and 5 rounds with 5 grains of Titegroup. I'll try them tomorrow and see how they perform.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts