Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am posting this due to a recent thread on reloading, and because for anyone who reloads as a hunter, it is some good knowledge to have.

I use hotter burning Magnum rifle primers in my reloads because of where I hunt. Normally, temperatures can drop below zero most times. These last few years have been hit or miss, but when you handload that hotter ignition can be a little extra insurance.

Does the 444 need the extra, as it is fairly standard on case capacity? no, but I am matching my loads based on where I hunt.

Anybody else have some interesting reloading tips, or quirks they would like to share with the rest of the 444 family?

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
I use Federal 210M's and have never had any issues....accuracy and performance is excellent. The last few years we have been hunting and shooting in some very cold temps, and nothing abnormal has shown up. For the bore capacity and powder volumn of the cartridge, I would not think that Mag primers are "needed"....but, they "can" be used.....just gotta be careful, and like any change of a reloading component, you gotta start low and work up.

Tips or quirks: I "always" work up my loads, and sight in my guns for the temperature conditions that I am most likely to hunt, and it all happens from a clean cold barrel. Also, even when I am working with a large bore/large case, once I get my accuracy load, I will load up and down 2 tenths just to see if it makes a difference....and, sometimes it does......the sweet spot! ;D

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
I have been using Federals Gold medal 215's, IIIRC GM215M, I use these on all my Large Rifle hunting loads, the have given me the best in low SD, VS any other primer. I just bought another 1K not long ago and thats the first time I have found any in 5 years.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Flat Top, and you are right. When I sight in a gun during the summer, I always fire it again just before season opens. Humidity, Air Pressure, everything can affect point of impact. Because I want to be an Ethical hunter, I always insist on knowing right where my bullet is going to hit when I shoot at an animal instead of trusting it to what it did a few months before.

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts
It's all about knowing your guns and the loads you use. Good topic and good points. In rifles over 50gr of powder charge and near zero temps, I would opt for the magnum primers in most situations. Under 50gr, I've not felt the need. I may rethink this based on what comes of this thread.

Jeff
NRA Life

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
Sweetwater; My Safari Grade 444 runs powder charges well in excess of 50 grains of powder, and most of the load development was done during a very cold winter (temps ranging from tens and teens to twenties with 30's being tops). With non-mag primers, the accuracy was excellent, the velocities were right were they should be (2150+ with the 405 grain bullet), and there was no, or next to no, unburnt powder residue left in the bore, or a fired case. One thing that I have noticed with magnum primers in other cartridges, is that the pressure curve will change....accuracy (sometimes much better, and other times not)) will come in with a different charge weight than with non-mag primers, and velocities for charge weight will vary as well...the magnum primer usually (but not always) producing better velocity numbers for a given charge weight. After playing with the 44 Magnum for many years, I settled on mag primers for all my reloading...both heavy and light loads. In that case it seemed to work well. I might have to follow Starrbow, and see if mag primers make any difference in the SG 444!!! I will have to take some of my best loads, reduce the charge, and work up using some mag primers and then make a comparison to see if the loads can be bettered (accuracy.velocity, etc) by the mag primers. If not, the non-mag 210M's that I use have proven themselves to get the job done.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Generally I dont use Magnum primers in the 444 or with any cartridges with extruded powders.I do tend to use the magnum primers with ball powders as they can be harder to light due to density.In a few target loads for accuracy and my 45-70's and rifle loads like 257 Wea and 375 H&H I use magnum primers due to powder capacity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts