Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to get a few stitches on Saturday.
Gunna' pull them myself and was wondering if there are any Docs. or RN's out there that can confirm that 2 weeks is about right time to pull them? They are not infected and I'll be keeping a good eye on them so they wont. I've had more than my fair share of stitches over the years and remember it being about 2 weeks.

Thanks for the input.
Lunar

Dolphin Finger 3 - Copy.jpg

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Hey Lunar,

No help on the stitches (usually ten days to two weeks), but if you were to "splint" that finger, it will heal up faster. The splint will keep you from bending it, and protect it from little "bumps" (ouch!). LOL

Later, Mark

·
Super Moderator
8,054 Posts
yeah that is a good one right on the ole trigger finger. Hope it heals, I too have had more stiches than I can remember. 10 days to 2 weeks is good you just want the healing to begin so the wound does not separate again. I just poked a big hole in the web of my hand and it took at least 2 weeks to seal up properly and dang it hurt......................

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Bet the local hurt.:ahhhhh:

·
Banned
651 Posts
Hey Lunar, my wife is a physician and I showed her the picture. She felt that 10-12 days out to do it. Keep it clean and let it breathe do not bandage all the time except when exposure to dirt or other substances may be possible. Hope your pain is minimal!!

Reactions: Lunarphase

·
Premium Member
12,147 Posts
I am no doctor or nurse but I did stay at a Holiday Inn. I have also had stitches that I removed myself. It will be obvious to you when it is healed enough that the stitches are no longer needed. Then wash your finger well or poor alcohol "not beer" Rebel Yell may work or peroxide on it before you cut the knots and pull the stitches. If you do this and your finger falls off, don't try suing me because I am broke and you want get any money.

·
Premium Member
4,952 Posts
I have sewn up many hands and fingers in an OR. Keep a thin film of antibiotic ointment on the closure for a few days. It will help with the healing process. Also try not to get the wound wet for long while it heals. A quick wash will be OK but don't soak it.

Andrew

·
Registered
938 Posts
Didn't the mD that put them in tell you???

not that the advice above is bad as far as im concerned but a gun forum is a odd place for medical advice no matter how small LOL

O polysporine is your friend

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
After about 7 days the skin cells grow into the track of the suture. This leaves a more obvious scar (white dots) where the sutures were. Doubt that will bother you. The deeper tissues will be back together by 7 days and the sutures can be removed anytime after that. Say 7-10 days.

More to the point for you, is that the edges of the laceration will dry out after a day or two. These edges will begin to catch on just about everything, your shirt, blankets, etc., and this will tear the wound open a little, perhaps making it bleed a bit, and stinging more than a little.

I'd suggest you keep that wound loosely covered with a bandaid for at least 2 weeks to prevent that. Put a little neomycin or bacitracin on the bandaid to keep the skin edges moistened. A splint won't help much since the laceration isn't over a joint and won't move much in any event.

Bottom line is that it will heal pretty much, no matter what you do.

Reactions: Macoz

·
Registered
211 Posts
were they put in by a Doctor, PA or NP? Is it too far to go to go back and let them pull them? they don't usually charge anything more to do it. Looks like that was a pretty deep cut with the large space top to bottom of each of the stitches , best to let them look at them and judge. When the apocalypse comes is plenty of time to make these decisions yourself, until then let those of us with training, treat you.

·
Registered
483 Posts
10 days at most. I've had my share of stitches and staples. As someone said earlier, the deep tissue will be healed in a week. I like get mine out as early as I can, as it gets more painful to remove the longer past a week you go. I had over 20 staples down my belly from an abdominal surgery a few years ago. That incision went straight through to the intestines, and they took those out after 10 days. I imagine your finger will be just fine after 7. After that you're just gonna pull on that new skin when you pull them out. Ouch.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Good on you for getting stitches. I was never that smart and most of the time flat could not afford it.

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
I always heard Real men don't get stitches.........but alas I've had them too.............

I have been stapled closed twice too. Sometimes they use thread that 'disintergrates"or used to. Seems staples is popular when I got closed up

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Didn't the mD that put them in tell you???

not that the advice above is bad as far as im concerned but a gun forum is a odd place for medical advice no matter how small LOL

O polysporine is your friend
I went to one of those MD Now emerg-clinics. It's $100 every visit, even the second day followup, which I wasn't able to make. I'm not about to pay $300 for something that I usually would have fixed with duct tape.
This may seem like a strange place to ask, but there are some very qualified members here. I'm also sure there are plenty of members that have layed open a finger the same or plenty worse as this. If it was something nasty I'd be going to a Doc to get them out.
I'll be hiking the Shenandoah N. P. for the next week or so, leaving tomorrow, thus the reason behind the question.
Thanks for all the advice guys
Lunar

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Had a few meself, when it's healing and mending good it's time to take 'em out. Clip one and pull it, spread the wound a bit and gently, holding together? Go ahead and snip the rest.

Triple A cream, I'm a firm believer in it and use it alot on cut's and wound's (even on the goat's). If the stitch look's like it's ''stretching'' the skin, time to pull 'em.

Reactions: Lunarphase

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
I've healed up quite a few bad cuts with nothing more than Triple antibiotic ointment and keeping the wound *dry* and bandaged well. Some baaaad ones that most would have visited a doctor to have sewn up .

If the wound sewn has healed together the full length, it's time for the stitches to be removed IME.My stitches and/or staples were from (more than one) knee operations and a thyroid gland removal

I always wondered if some doctors used the staples because perhaps they don't sew too well? LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts