Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad was a WWII vet, he had a Model 12 12gauge and a Remington 30.06, probably very typical of a working man of his generation. I mean what more could you need. I never asked him if he had a 22 when he was a kid, but those were the only two guns on the gun rack (another thing of the past) until I started adding to it. Now comes the problem, in 1979 I bought a new 1894 in 357mag and everything seemed fine for 35 years until a CL 25-20 came along and I thought I needed it. Two Marlins is 35 years is still normal behavior, but a few weeks ago a Cowboy 45-70 found its way home and I thought I "needed" it. Now I need another gun like I need a hole in the head, so why do I keep looking at the want adds. There has to be some kind of 12 step program before I go bankrupt. Even Goldie Locks could find something "just right" out of these three View attachment greg 037.JPG View attachment greg 035.jpg

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Don't fight it! Just admit you have a wonderful problem and feed it! :top:

·
Registered
21,088 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of Marlinitis!:tee:

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Sounds like your doing Fine to me!
May I suggest this, my FAVORITE the 1894 44 mag....
I also love the 45-70 & 25~20! But my fav is definitely the 44mag.! Maybe you would like a nice 94 Cowboy...?

Enjoy the forum
BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
I got it bad for a while after 2009 when I got my first Marlin. I thought I had it under control after the usual suspect calibers were mostly rounded up.

But then I got reinfected with the vintage-rifle-strain of hyphenitis.

I thought I survived even that after the disease progressed through 32-20, 32-40 and 38-55, before finally going into what I thought was a genuine remission. Now I know better! Remission is just a lull.

Now I understand you have to be on your guard all the time. Don’t ever think you have it beat. Its laying in wait, just under the surface mocking you. The worst thing you can do is to say to someone close to you “I think I pretty much have all the calibers and models I want now”. If you ever say that… IF YOU EVER SAY THAT – you are on the verge of a serious flare up – check yourself in immediately.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You don't have a .30-30? (yet)
You'll quickly find that that .45-70 will do anything you ask of it, light loads just slightly warmer than .45 Colt to thumpers that can lay low anything in North America and most of Africa.
But watcha gonna do if you break something on it the week before deer season? One is none and two is one. You need another .45-70, easy as that. Doesn't have to be the same model either. And you may want one with a scope, one with irons and one with a peep sight.

The rabbit hole is deep and dark. ;)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Oregon Stihl, there is NO 12 step program for Marlinitis, there just ani't, deal with it. I am sure all of us Enablers here will help you to the best of our abilities. Take care,John.

Reactions: Oregon Stihl

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
My most recent outbreak is Octagonitis! I wish I would have just started off with that"Strain" and went with it!??

Good Luck to'ya though, and please don't forget PICS! :)

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Sorry, I sure can't help you... and my weakness goes beyond Marlins as well. By the way, my old Model 12 Winchester is my favorite shotgun to use... :biggrin:
Good luck.

·
Banned
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BloodGroove, I think mine has also turned into octagonitis, to the point I'm even looking at 1897 Texans instead of AWL's because they have eight sides all the way to the end, but $1000 plus is hard to swallow.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
You better nip it in the bud quickly.
I have just succeeded in adding four in as many weeks, one prewar, three others prior to 1952 including a sweet long barrel "A" model waffle top.
I quit..I'm serious this time... really.
Cold turkey.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Just pray on this beautiful Easter day that your disease is limited to Marlinitis... There are so many variations of the disease that one is truly fortunate if only one brand/type/caliber is the problem. Did someone mention 1911--or revolver--dare I say it, single shots (at least mine is limited to the Sharps strain in this case)... Why do you think God gave us two story houses and multiple gun safes? Remember no gun does it all. Near, medium range, far--different light conditions or terrain or missions requiring different sight systems. And then there is the reloading conundrums...so many powders and bullets and loading systems to think about. Oh yes, if you only have to worry about Marlinitis you are truly fortunate....but just wait....

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Yeah, I know the feeling. I bought 4 rifles in the last 10 months. Three 30-30's and a 45-70. 30-30's are pretty common and its cheaper to buy 30-30 ammo (I don't do 22's) and just switch off guns instead of needing ammo for all different calibers. Pick your poison.

Mike T.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.