Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I 1989 I had a chance to deer hunt Georgetown Kentucky with my Father and his 2 Brother's. It was the 2nd day of the hunt and I had moved to the next valley to hunt. I was on a beautiful beech tree saddle that I could see almost 80 yards in a circle around me. There was virtually no under growth and the ground was covered with about 5 inches of beech leaves. Probally not a very productive spot to see a buck, but just beautiful. I had hunted in some thick nasty stuff the first day and saw nothing all day. From day break until 1:00 PM I must have heard over a hundred shots around me all within a mile of my location.

I'm sitting in an old homemade ladder stand only about 12 foot high and I hear it. Its coming up behind me at a slow pace. I could hear every step in those crunchy leaves. Oh my heart is pounding I'm starting to get that adendlin rush, I'm fighting it back, its coming BUCK FEVER. Oh no I've got to get in control of myself I've harvested over 70 some deer up till now. I'm too seasoned a hunter for these shynanagins, crunch,crunch its still coming must be only 10 yards behind me. I can't move not even turn my head. I don't have any cover in this stand ,why did I get in this thing, its to low, that deers going to smell me.

Silence, the deer has stopped, I can feel it breathin, it right on top of me. There it is , I hear it, its moving again still very very slow. It's coming on my right side. My eyes only see my right cheek I got them turn so hard right to see this deer. Now its walking again, its right out in front of me 10 yards. Hold on a minute where's it at . I don't see it, I hear it but don't see it. There's nothing in between us, there's not even a bush, what going on. I am now getting spooked I'm in my 30's and this don't make any since. Maybe its a mouse or chipmonk. Nope this things to loud, It's just invisible, Buck fever is gone fear is creepying in. This can't be happening. I'm straining my eyes to see movement but there is none.

Wait a minute I see movement just a twitch a step What the heck its a damn turkey. As I watch in total unbeleaf a hen turkey steps out of a shawdow into a sunny spot on the ground. Wow that's amazing she's only 10 yards directly in front of me and I never even saw her. No wonder them Biologist told us at the Turkey Federation meeting that turkey's have less predator's than you think. Bill Jordan could take lesson's from her on camoflauge. That was just awsome really made my day,who says you gotta kill something to enjoy a hunt. That was 25 years ago, hope liked the story.

·
Premium Member
28,803 Posts
Thats the reason Ive killed close to two hundred deer,but only 28 turkeys:biggrin:
That and that super eyesight they have,,
They make a fool out of me way more than I do them.
And my hats off to em for it.
Gunrunner,,

·
Super Moderator
9,269 Posts
They can read a Missouri conservation department calendar too. Deer hunted out of a popup ground blind a few years ago on a warm day. I left the door unzipped for air. A hen walked right up to the door opening and stuck it's head in to look around.

That's when I swore off turkey hunting.

Jeff

Reactions: gunrunner

·
Premium Member
8,171 Posts
Stories like that are what keep me going to the woods... And like Gabby said - - it isn't so much the killin', but just being there that makes it worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
28,803 Posts
A deer will see a man sittin still and think hes a stump.
But a turkey will see a stump and think its a man sittin still:biggrin:
Them thangs make there livin spottin bugs and such 50 yards away,,When you fool one youve done something!
Gunrunner,,

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
Everytime I hear a Turkey story I think of my Dear ole Dad who had never seen a turkey in the woods until one walked up on him during deer season and my Dad shot it and knocked a handful of feathers out of it with buckshot and the turkey flew off. I talked to my dad several minutes after he had shot the turkey and he told me he had shot the biggest buzzard he had ever seen still not knowing it was a turkey he had shot. It still makes me smile 20 odd years later.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Not only can they read a calender, they can read the writing on my gun. If I have a twelve gauge-I see no turkeys, But give me a muzzleloader and I got 75 of em surrounding the tree I'm in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts