Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today Pappy came up to go dove hunting with me today. It was a beautiful day cloudy a little breeze and in the mid-70's. I told him and my new hunting partner Mr. Pipes. I expected a really good hunt. Turned out the birds just weren't cooperating. I hunted the same field last Thursday by myself and had a limit in about a hour. I had just received my new Mojo Dove decoy and it worked wonders. We made a quick blind out of natural brush putting my Timber Rattler bowie knife to work. I don't own a machete any more but this knife done the job just as good. We started hunting around 4 pm and packed up around 6:30 pm. We only had 3 doves come within 300 yards of us. Mr. Pipes got the first one, and the second one came in and landed beside the Mojo. We saw this dove coming from 100 yards away and I told Pappy to take him. The dove got below the sky line and Pappy couldn't pick him out until he landed. When Pappy finally got to his feet the dove jumped but Pappy wouldn't shoot. He said he was so amazed how well the Mojo worked that he was afraid he would shoot the Mojo. We had a great time BS'ing and started to leave. Then we saw a high fly bird approaching and sat back down. It turned out to be a lone Canadian Goose about 70 yards high and 125 yards out. Pappy said call him in son, so I started. I am a mouth caller, and once was runner up for NC State Championship Goose calling. It was funny because he circled the field twice and almost landed by the Mojo dove decoy. Pappy was tickled and said your a little rusty but you still have the knack. Pappy said he had a great day and to me that's all that matter's. Pappy's 83 and soon will be a year older. Pappy told me and Mr. Pipe's its not about the harvest but the time spent afield with friends that count. I couldn't agree more.

·
Premium Member
12,147 Posts
Sounds like a great day. In these parts on a day like that we would hit the water holes late in the afternoon. It has been a number of years since I did any Dove shooting, but you are making me want to empty some shells.

·
Registered
20,512 Posts
Sounds like a wonderful time spent with your dad!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts