Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Arkansas we get started on May 21. I cant wait. I have never hunted squirrel in the spring except for those in my plum trees. What do you look for in an ideal hunting spot this time of year?

When does season open where you are?

I'm just curious about different parts of the country.

Wally

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Here in CT, we have to wait until Sept 1st. That's OK with me though, since they are kinda scrawny this time of year.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Legally or illegally? ;D

Season in Ga usually starts in Sept, however I start taking aim at them when the tomato plants start to bear fruit

·
Registered
150 Posts
LT, I wish I could use your solution to the squirrel/tomato problem.. (city limits)
I could eliminate them with rat traps but my wife is too soft hearted.
back on topic, the Ga. season always starts on Aug. 15th. too hot to hunt.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Here in NC the season for Gray and Red squirrels is generally mid-Oct to the end of Feb., and Fox squirrels from mid-Oct to the end of December. I have not seen the 2011-2012 dates published yet.

During other times of the year, pest control is the order of the day when they begin chewing on the house, or well house or the wiring under the hoods of our vehicles, etc.

TallGrass

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Virginia added a spring season a couple years ago(June 4-18).Seems there is a lul in the breeding after the first litter is weened but to be honest with you,I don't know a single hunter that participates.
I do know they are working the maples and black heart cherries now and are easily baited with sunflower seed anytime.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Kansas squirrel season is 1 June-28 Feb. I look for mulberry trees when it first opens and also paw paw trees that have just started putting on fruit, otherwise it's hard telling where you will find them in the spring.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Red squirrel can be hunted year round here in NY. Others are regulated in NY I think they start in Sept.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
LT said:
Legally or illegally? ;D

Season in Ga usually starts in Sept, however I start taking aim at them when the tomato plants start to bear fruit
MMM squirrels in tomato sauce sounds good to me. ;D here in PA second week in October the blasting begins. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
SQUIRREL: 8 a Day – 8 in Possession October 1 – February 28. Course deer bow season starts Oct.15, and gun deer @ Nov. 15 & ends Jan. 31. This translates into Squirrel season - Oct.1 - 14th and Feb. 1 - 31st.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HMMM? I wonder why Arkansas would have such a long season in comparison with other states? I havent noticed an overabundance of the little critters.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
BUBSDAD said:
HMMM? I wonder why Arkansas would have such a long season in comparison with other states? I havent noticed an overabundance of the little critters.
There isn't a lot one can do in Arka so they let em hunt squirrels. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Out here in my neck of the non-woods, we ain't got any tree rats till you get into town where there are more trees. Along the river bed where there are plenty of trees left there are some but, they are protected in this area and no hunting.

We have plenty of ground squeels and they are a pest and carry fleas. We had a case of bubonic plague west of here recently and they have found the prairie dogs carrying the plague so, I will just keep my distance from those critters. Say like 150 yds. varmint rifle range. ;)

I would like to hunt some squirrels and try some. Never had any squeel meat before that I remember. Do it taste like cottontail rabbit any?

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
You had to ask ...last time I checked was open all yr. So I got the regs. out and western Oregon silver grey 5 a day 15 in possession
Aug 27-Nov 9.
I don't know if I have killed 1 in 20 yrs. They Put a season on them without a fee? or a tag.Oregon had a malfunction.
And if you shoot crows you have to report how many and have a free validation on your upland bird stamp. Ever eat a crow!

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
lesismore they taste better than you would think. Certainly better than them flee bag ground dwellers you leave for the buzzards ;D
If you use a big bore you can smash those fleas while killing rats.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
bugeye said:
LT, I wish I could use your solution to the squirrel/tomato problem.. (city limits)
I could eliminate them with rat traps but my wife is too soft hearted.
back on topic, the Ga. season always starts on Aug. 15th. too hot to hunt.
CB caps for the .22... and I live just east of Atlanta

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Here in NE PA it starts the middle of October. Around late August I start getting excited cause I love hunting them and eating them. Make home made spaghetti sauce with lots of deboned squirrel meat. Also make double crust meat pies with them and pour home made chicken gravy over them. Guys where I worked at used to scoff at me for eating squirrel until I took some of both in to work for them. After that they
kept asking me when I'm bringing more in.LOL Love hunting them with my .22LR chambered rifles but it's so developed now it's safer to use
my .410 single shot shotgun. Also fun with my Mossberg 500 pump in .410.
358 Win

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Hey me, I never did eat crow (unless I said something stupid that is) but my Dad used to talk about the family eating it during the Great Depression and he said it was good. There ain't much I haven't tried. Been all over WESTPAC during my Navy days. Only thing I won't eat is JAC Fruit down in
the Philippines due to the smell of it. Smells like cat poop to me and just couldn't get myself to try it. We had a JAC Fruit tree at our house on base at
Subic Bay and the suckers were the size of a large watermelon. Never had one hit the ground cause the locals would shinny up the tree and harvest
them before they fell. Sorry for getting off topic, I'm Sorry.
358 Win

1 - 20 of 32 Posts