Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Rocky1 - I think it's great!

Thanks for the additional info.

Regards, Guy
It's a slower pace for me in my old age, I enjoy it now. There are nights I just sit out there and watch deer, hunting really isn't important. Grew up chasing bear hounds in the swamps here. Did very little deer hunting as a teenager. Deer hunted southern Mississippi for a couple years while stationed at Keesler. Came back here and fell back into Bear Hunting for a year or two. Then I moved to North Dakota where you walked miles and miles of prairie, in knee deep snow at times, looking for something to shoot, usually a LONG way off. Hunted muley in the Badlands 2 - 3 times for a change of scenery, had a blast out there.

When I moved back to Florida, I had no luck here at the house, lot of nice bucks on camera all summer, but couldn't get close to anything. Then I had one move in that drug me down the rabbit hole kicking and screaming. I hunted him relentlessly, to no avail. Skeeters were eating me up one night, and I climbed out of my ladder stand early, and went to the house, and he was on camera, literally before I walked 50 yards toward the house. As in, 3 minutes from the time I stood up and started down the ladder, I had a picture of him on that camera.

The next year I planted the feed plot in the trees, and started on the stand. Didn't get the stand finished until season was over, hunted out of a ground blind that year. Knew better than to attempt to build it on site, built it in my shop and moved it out there with an all terrain forklift. Stairs were donated just before I got ready to set it, they weren't quite as high as I was planning, sawed my posts off shorter, but in doing so my window sill a wee bit low for the height she's at.

This would be the one that drug me down the rabbit hole!

Couple months earlier in velvet...

Stand going up after completion...

Almost set in place...

Yeah, I mighta cheated a little there, but it sure was easier building everything in the shop!

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
My old Oliver had new front tri ribs on her when I got it. But it's needed rear tires for a long time.
I have been afraid to put tire chains on it for snow plowing in the winter because they are so dry rotten. View attachment 848567
The price of tires has gone NUTS, $ 1500, two tires & tubes took the guy 1 hour 45 mins. To
Install them. Kinda glade I don't have a four-wheel drive tractor.

Reactions: Vooch

·
Registered
459 Posts
The price of tires has gone NUTS, $ 1500, two tires & tubes took the guy 1 hour 45 mins. To
Install them. Kinda glade I don't have a four-wheel drive tractor.

Want to say I was $1600 and change for all 4, but mine are tubeless. Dealer I went to was a trip, told him what I needed, he asked me how much I wanted to spend. Broke out his book and started writing down options, had a whole page of goodies scribbled out. Ag tires he had me prices from little less than $600 for the set, to nearly $3000. Brand he recommended, in Ag tires were almost $900 + mounting on site, would have run me close to $1100. Construction tires on rear, were about $300 a tire higher, (construction tire has more plies and a harder rubber compound, making it a tougher and longer lasting tire as reason for the additional cost), he cut me a little slack since he couldn't find the Ag tires. And, he honestly cut me what I thought was an awesome deal on mounting them.

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Just took a walk out to my new food plot, and was greeted by this. So. Ow iam thinking about
Coyote season ,the bastereds
20210606_170134.jpg

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Just mowed my two plots down, kept my brush hog up high, didn't touch the clover. Now iam going to check out my tractor trails, and mow and open them.

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Just took a walk down to my new swamp garden , its starting to come up. Even the clover
I put in later ,is coming up. Have 7 Turkey's in it every day, pecking and scratching
20210610_164602.jpg
20210610_164757.jpg
20210604_115043.jpg

·
Registered
459 Posts
Just took a walk down to my new swamp garden , its starting to come up. Even the clover
I put in later ,is coming up. Have 7 Turkey's in it every day, pecking and scratching

Off to a good start on the plot! Have had about 2" of rain here in the last week, thinking I may try to turn mine and put something else in. Looks like all my clover got shaded out, dried up and died, or the deer annihilated it. See what it does with the rain, and if it doesn't look promising, going to turn dirt and start over with something. Was reading up on Chestnut Trees again last night, and will likely be picking up a few of those to plant in the feed plot this fall. Maybe a few fruit trees as well.

Coyotes need to go!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I start thinking about the next hunting season during the last hunting season. As we hunt in sways working out new locations to try, new loads to test in the off season and new gear I’ll need for the next year

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Well maybe I will get some trail cam pictures,
I think I have 3 working cams out in the field as of this afternoon. Me and trail cameras don't get along very well, time will tell.

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Just added a 4th cam, put it on a little spot i till up this spring, spread some oats, Australian peas, and clover,it's taken forever to start coming up, but iam going to let go . Three trail's from my swamp join here. I've got hopes for this location. Yesterday I was riding my quad down behind my lean-to, and going over my bridge into my pines, and wasn't paying attention, glanced over by this spot, and all I got to see was the tail end of a deer bounding off thru this location.
20210615_082513.jpg
20210615_082503.jpg

·
Registered
459 Posts
So far, have a LOT of Turnip and Radishes sprouting on mine having just mowed it and let it lay. Got my fingers crossed. Not sure what's going on, my feedplot has been a hangout for bachelor bucks for years, now suddenly I have a house full of women and children. Had 3 does with 4 fawns on camera yesterday.

Then this showed up on camera today...

However thinking about the feedplot, needed something heavier in a harrow to break things up. Have a nice 6 1/2 ft. leveling harrow but it tends to float on grass and debris from mowing, so I bought a pull type harrow on an on-line auction a hundred miles up the road.

Supposed to be a 5 footer...

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
So far, have a LOT of Turnip and Radishes sprouting on mine having just mowed it and let it lay. Got my fingers crossed. Not sure what's going on, my feedplot has been a hangout for bachelor bucks for years, now suddenly I have a house full of women and children. Had 3 does with 4 fawns on camera yesterday.

Then this showed up on camera today... View attachment 849822

However thinking about the feedplot, needed something heavier in a harrow to break things up. Have a nice 6 1/2 ft. leveling harrow but it tends to float on grass and debris from mowing, so I bought a pull type harrow on an on-line auction a hundred miles up the road.

Supposed to be a 5 footer...

View attachment 849823
I'll take a picture of my disk later, it's a home made set, from two other old sets, they are heavy. They do a pretty good job of breaking up the ground.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm actually liking the deal a bunch. Last sale they had 2 - 3, what folks here call "bog harrows", which is essentially the front half of this set. And, they all went $700 - $1200.Had a 4 disk tiller on this sale, in worse shape than this harrow, and it went $700. I threw a $500 bid on this harrow thinking it was a 5 ft., won the bid at $200, I get up there and it's more like 7 ft. (This is not a first with this outfit, bought a damaged 6' angle blade, and a 6 ft. John Deere rotary mower in need of work. Both of which turned out 8 footers when I went to pick them up.}

While I gave up on doing anything with the blade and mower to try and make money, I hauled them back up there and got all my money back, and a little extra. Harrow, the rear axles are identical to front axles, so I have several hundred dollaes in extra parts. .

41 - 60 of 62 Posts