Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Looks like you have a good thing going there!
Simply got tired of hunting public lands here. Too many retards running around with guns. Thought about a lease but they're getting ridiculously priced here anymore. I live in a perfect location, just have to plant enough feed plot to draw the deer in. Everyone here feeds corn come hunting season, if you don't put in a decent feed plot, they don't come to you. They eat corn everywhere else, and eat yours after dark.

Feeding year round, you hold a few does, keep the bachelor bucks hanging out. Great for early season before they all start moving, and the acorns drop. Also draws a few bigger bucks when they start rutting because you have resident does.

Built a nice stand; fully enclosed, insulated, carpeted throughout to deaden sound, windows, shutters, comfy reclining office chair in it. If I want to spend the night out there waiting on pigs, I simply close the windows and kick back. Battery powered fan when it's warm out, propane heater when cold, Thermacell to keep the bugs out. Hunt out of it year round when pigs show up, waiting on them can be an all night affair, and I'm too old to perch on a tree branch all night. Cut the trees, ground the stumps, and now have fun playing with it all year round.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Won't go into my issues, but I stopped talking care of other people's property. And have been improving my own acreage, spend my money right here.

Reactions: rocky1

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
After I finish my ☕ going to hookup the brush hog on my Oliver.

Reactions: rocky1

·
Super Moderator
8,054 Posts
thinking about hunting does not stop. I have been working on the stands, painting and getting repairs in order, cutting the food plots and re-seeding with clover. I am also planting a couple dozen sunflowers in the back field, digging and expanding watering holes, drainage ditch maintenance, and cutting limbs and trees for shooting lanes. Lot of work to do before September gets here..................

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
thinking about hunting does not stop. I have been working on the stands, painting and getting repairs in order, cutting the food plots and re-seeding with clover. I am also planting a couple dozen sunflowers in the back field, digging and expanding watering holes, drainage ditch maintenance, and cutting limbs and trees for shooting lanes. Lot of work to do before September gets here..................
Amen to that. Just ordered two new tires for the rear of my Oliver, don't want one to blow out in the woods. They will be here tomarrow and mounted

·
Super Moderator
8,054 Posts
Last trip down we painted the outpost. Each year we co-mingle all of the partial cans of paint laying around and you just neve know what color will come out of the 5 gallon bucket of paint. Tow years ago it was battleship blue, this year was pepto bismol PINK!.. It is good Sherwin williams paint so it is a good layer of protection. We will have to work on using some other paint to cam
IMG_1744.jpg o pattern the pink..

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
These have seen better days
Went by one of my neighbors farms, and he has some cute little moo cow's
20210601_115854.jpg
20210601_115912.jpg
20210601_153256.jpg
20210601_153159.jpg

·
Registered
459 Posts
Won't go into my issues, but I stopped talking care of other people's property. And have been improving my own acreage, spend my money right here.
That was me... Figured, why spend the money elsewhere? Pay into a lease, clear and plant a feed plot, build a stand. Don't know if you're going to get along with everyone when you join, don't know if the owners are going to jack your lease up or terminate your lease. Figured if I was going to put in the effort, I'd do it in the backyard. Save the lease money, no folks you don't like, no increase in lease, no termination, no gas to burn to go hunting. Leaves lots of hunting money to spend on your own property hunting.

I spent a little over a thousand bucks on the deer stand, and had part of the materials. (There's about $225 in Lexan in the windows, another $125 in carpet.) One of the guys working for me at the time told me I was crazy! He's spending 3 times that PER YEAR on hunting leases, and driving back and forth to hunt. I come home from work, park my truck, walk in and grab my goodies, walk to the stand. I'm there windows up, kicked back in my recliner, ready to hunt in 4 - 5 minutes. I don't plan on building another stand for a LONG LONG TIME. So who's crazy? Do it right, do it once, enjoy it for a long time.

I get grief about my recliner too; never seen it written anywhere that hunting has to be painful. Furthermore, I've paid my dues... Broke ice 3 feet out around the edge of the swamp when I bailed off in waist deep water chasin hounds behind a bear. Legs be so numb you couldn't feel the fallen trees under the water when you hit them. Legs be black and blue for weeks afterward. Dig thorns out your scalp for weeks. I've sat in hay bales at -10 F waitin for the sun to rise deer hunting. I was younger then. Now there are nights, I just sit out there and nature watch, others I sit and wait for pigs to come in, but there are a lot of nights I sit in my recliner 5 - 6 hours. And, occasionally I sit in my recliner from 5 pm to 6 - 7 am. Therefore, I want a comfy chair in my stand! Had a high backed reclining office chair sitting in my shop, not being used. So, I put it in the stand. If I hadn't had one, I'd have spent $500 on one to put in there, to be comfortable.

Honestly, there is nothing more cool than to just sit out there at night, on a full moon, and watch deer do what deer do, have seen some crazy stuff. Had a strange buck wander in one night, he checked in on the licking branch, checked out the scrape, walked out in the middle of the plot and one of the regulars greeted him. They weren't 20 seconds into saying howdy and they're buttin' heads, next thing you know they were horns locked, bellies flat on the ground, going at it in the moonlight. It was quite possibly one of the coolest things I've ever seen! I've watched video of a lot of buck fights, but I have never seen one of that intensity on video. It was unbelievable! Have watched yotes stalk deer, some nights they just wander through, others they pop in and out of the brush circling the feedplot, and I've seen them come in full bore trying to catch a deer out in the open. It's seriously cool!! But, if your butt is numb, you'll go to the house and won't be there for the show.

Amen to that. Just ordered two new tires for the rear of my Oliver, don't want one to blow out in the woods. They will be here tomarrow and mounted
Did that last year. Mine came with construction tires on it, have no clue why, but it was apparently an option on that model. Front tires were quad rib, essentially smooth with 3 grooves. Back tires were pretty well worn. Cut a 3" gash in the sidewall on a rear tire, figured it was time to do them all.

Was going to go Ag tires, they were quite a bit cheaper, dealer recommended a mid-price brand that was extremely durable, but cheaper than Big Name brands. Couldn't find the Ag tire in the size needed, found construction tires in NE Alabama someplace, needed the tractor so I went with them. Put tri-rib ag tires on the front.

----------

Got the second third of the feedplot knocked down tonight. Weather man says 30% chance of rain tomorrow, 50% Thursday, 75% Friday, 60% Saturday, 50% Sunday and Monday, 30% Tuesday. Up to 1 1/2" of rain over next 5 days... Perfect timing for feed plot!! Sucks for work!!

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
My old Oliver had new front tri ribs on her when I got it. But it's needed rear tires for a long time.
I have been afraid to put tire chains on it for snow plowing in the winter because they are so dry rotten.
20201218_100006.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,062 Posts
It's always interesting to me, to see the photos and read the words of you folks who plant the food plots, build the blinds, etc.. Fascinating. Some day I shall have to hunt that way. Closest I've come is using a pop-up blind now and then. Thank you for a glimpse of how it's done where you hunt. :)

Pre-season for me is usually a lot of walking with my binoculars to see what I can see. But, I hunt mostly public land, out west. Sometimes on a big (40,000 acre) ranch. Very different hunting.

Best of luck to all!

Guy

·
Super Moderator
8,054 Posts
Hey Guy much different here in the swamps and thickets of the east coast! These Carolina boys hunt where ever (side of road corn bag on hood of truck) they want whenever they want kinda like public lands. It irritates us property owners that build our special spots and have it all disrupted by hunters and or dogs running. it adds a whole new aspect to hunting.................not all of it good.........

the ones of us who have developed wood skills can still get up close and personal with the deer and bear if one trys hard........That is why the 1895 scout scope set up works so well in my world...............

Although I am building roads and ditches so i can easily squeeze off a 400 yd shot if I wanted too................just don't need too

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I really was thinking about hunting as I woke up this morning, thinking about doing it old school again. Putting on my red and black checker woolrich hunting coat, that thing has to go 35 lbs. Dry weight. And carry my 1955 30/30 from western auto supply. That would be a hoot to drop a deer with that old 30/30. God knows when it last killed a deer.
I have carried it a few times, since I got it, for my wife's backup rifle, but haven't shot a deer with it. Maybe this will be the year.
So I just pulled that old 30/30 out of the gun locker, then looked up the last time I fired it
Oct 2016. I had it sited in with Hornady 160 gr ftx. Then tryed fed blue box 170 gr. , I will have to check it out this fall.

·
Registered
459 Posts
It's always interesting to me, to see the photos and read the words of you folks who plant the food plots, build the blinds, etc.. Fascinating. Some day I shall have to hunt that way. Closest I've come is using a pop-up blind now and then. Thank you for a glimpse of how it's done where you hunt. :)

Pre-season for me is usually a lot of walking with my binoculars to see what I can see. But, I hunt mostly public land, out west. Sometimes on a big (40,000 acre) ranch. Very different hunting.

Best of luck to all!

Guy
Here where I'm at, I'm little over 3/4 mile from the river. Land all along the Suwannee was bought up by Suwannee River Water Management, and closed to hunting. Have some seriously big bucks hang out back there, but I have to pull across a half mile of private land. Everyone feeds corn here, no one around me gives feed plots a lot of effort, so I go all out there. Typically add Turnips and Daicon Radish for late season. Deer won't mess with those until they get a frost on them. They typically annihilate everything else, but they leave the Turnips and Radishes until the frost sweetens them up.

Last year I did soil samples, added lime which is common down here, soil is highly acidic. Screwed up when I ordered fertilizer and doubled up on that. Which it needed a bunch bout not that much! The lime takes up to 90 days to take effect, so I was still overcoming a pH problem, and it all worked really well. They never caught anything. But, I was way late getting it in, was severely dry early, then I got too busy, couldn't get lime, and therefore I didn't see full potential. Hope to get it planted earlier this year, maybe catch a little early moisture and see what I can draw in.

Overkill on the stand maybe, but I have sister-in-law that loves to hunt more than anyone you have ever seen, and she's up there in age, so I had to make it comfy and accessible for her as well. I maybe wouldn't have gotten quite so carried away simply for me otherwise, but having it done that way, I wouldn't do anything different.

Uh Oh!! Snow is in trouble this fall!!

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Our thunderstorms are going to start pretty soon
This afternoon..I went all over to find another bag of crimson red clover, got it and spread it on that piece I just turned over.
Thats going to look good.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Added another trail cam, got pictures of a woodchuck checking out my new plot, a few Turkey's, and a couple does. No bucks yet. Just took a walk down back by the swamp and the skeeters are in full attack mode, had to come back to my lean-to.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts