1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I woke up this morning thinking about
What i mite carry, and opening day.
We're i mite sit.
I did set up two trail cam's a couple days ago. Thats early for me to do.
We've had two gun shows i my area, I think that has something to do with my mindset.
Jumping the gun, a little i think!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Deer/elk season starts up Aug 25 and runs until Nov 30. Late season elk runs Dec1-Jan 31, coyote hunting starts Aug-25 and ends June 15 but can be hunted on private 12 months of the year, spring bear starts Mar 1 and runs until June 15. Technically the only months there is not a legal big game season for crown land is mid June- to end of August. But it's a hard couple months lol. Not a day goes by I'm not thinking/ planning something to do with hunting. I think I live in the greatest spot on the planet.

Locally on OTC tags a guy can hunt
Bull elk ( cow in bow season)
Bull moose( w bow only )
Wt deer (x3)
Bbear(x3)
Wolf ( no limit)
Coyote ( no limit)

A guy can also get tags on draw...
Cow elk
Bull moose(rifle)
Cow moose
Mule deer( buck or doe)

Other game species within a 4 hour drive are
MT sheep
Mt goat
Antelope

Truly a hunters paradise

·
Registered
532 Posts
Reactions: no primers

·
Registered
16,677 Posts
I never stop thinking about it. Got a boost on 24 May when online apps for Deer Season opened. Recently I've been seeing an aggressive doe eyeballing my mini gardens and chasing the turkeys away from the corn I throw them. She's a very pale blond color, easy to spot. I applied for 1. Black Hills Doe Whitetail and 2. Black Hills Any Whitetail, both 1 November to 30 November. Blackpowder apps for Statewide Doe open in September, the season 1 December to 31 December.

Looks like Blondie is gonna take a trip into the freezer. Will use a .303 Enfield, a sure bet for quick, humane kill.

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really was thinking about hunting as I woke up this morning, thinking about doing it old school again. Putting on my red and black checker woolrich hunting coat, that thing has to go 35 lbs. Dry weight. And carry my 1955 30/30 from western auto supply. That would be a hoot to drop a deer with that old 30/30. God knows when it last killed a deer.
I have carried it a few times, since I got it, for my wife's backup rifle, but haven't shot a deer with it. Maybe this will be the year.

·
Premium Member
12,053 Posts
Have to start thinking/planning early, depending what I want to do in the upcoming season. I live in Washington, but often make the trip to Wyoming to hunt, it's nearly a thousand mile drive one way! :) Nonresidents seeking a Wyoming elk tag have to apply in January!

Normally I hunt antelope and mule deer there, and don't have to apply that early.

Here in Washington I can buy "over the counter" tags for deer, bear and elk, but there are "special" hunts for those species that require applications. Hunts during the rut, etc.. And then there are the "once in a lifetime" tags for moose, bighorn sheep and mountain goat. I keep tossing money at that roulette wheel. Doubt I'll ever draw one of the "OIL" tags - the odds are thousands to one... Sigh..

So ya - I start planning early, often thinking about next season, during this season! :)

Bear season is only 8 weeks or so away... Opens August 1st. It's been four or five years since I shot a bear. Getting kinda fired up about doing so again. :) I'm not hunting Wyoming this year, staying local. Easier planning and less expensive by far. But... it's not Wyoming.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
430 Posts
Don't ever stop! Just mowed a third of the feed plot this evening, ungodly dry here or it would already be seeded in something. IF we get any rain, probably broadcast some soybeans or iron clay peas, hope all the oats, radish, and turnip seed I mowed off sprout, or something worthwhile. Probably knock down the other piece tomorrow night, it's all gone to seed and dried out. Hopefully mowing it will incite something to turn green.

Mid-July second piece will get planted, then pray for rain. Spread a little milorganite to keep the deer out until it gets established, hope to get something growing and entice a few in for bow season.

Meanwhile... Game cameras remain out year round. Love watching horns grow on bucks, likewise love watching fawns grow up. Have two does in the yard again. Lost one to the highway a couple years ago, lost the other the following spring. One of their offspring took up residence, and another has moved in this year. Have 3 fawns being raised 100 yards across the yard. Little patch of woods between the feed plot and fish ponds. Every morning they come out for water, feed on the new growth where the yard has been mowed, and run and play like kids do.

Camera snaps anywhere from 40 to 150 pictures a day, mostly deer on corn pile. Yes... I feed year round, put out mineral blocks for them, protein blocks, grow grass and mow a third of the feed plot, just to keep lush grass growing all summer for them. Had 3 hens with a dozen or more bitties on camera yesterday, few pigs last week, coyote pops up on camera occasionally, cooons every night, squirrels, dove, crows daily. Hard to get it out your system when you work at it year round.

Pictures like this one, are more fun than buck pictures, this time of year. (Y'all ignore the date on that, camera glitch there when I changed batteries. It was about 10 - 12 days ago.)

But, then along comes that one (or maybe two) bucks, that gets you thinkin... Hmmm! That one there might be a good crossbow target for that new Killer Instinct. (Yeah, same camera date glitch! I want to say these were both the same night. Reset the date next day.)

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't ever stop! Just mowed a third of the feed plot this evening, ungodly dry here or it would already be seeded in something. IF we get any rain, probably broadcast some soybeans or iron clay peas, hope all the oats, radish, and turnip seed I mowed off sprout, or something worthwhile. Probably knock down the other piece tomorrow night, it's all gone to seed and dried out. Hopefully mowing it will incite something to turn green.

Mid-July second piece will get planted, then pray for rain. Spread a little milorganite to keep the deer out until it gets established, hope to get something growing and entice a few in for bow season.

Meanwhile... Game cameras remain out year round. Love watching horns grow on bucks, likewise love watching fawns grow up. Have two does in the yard again. Lost one to the highway a couple years ago, lost the other the following spring. One of their offspring took up residence, and another has moved in this year. Have 3 fawns being raised 100 yards across the yard. Little patch of woods between the feed plot and fish ponds. Every morning they come out for water, feed on the new growth where the yard has been mowed, and run and play like kids do.

Camera snaps anywhere from 40 to 150 pictures a day, mostly deer on corn pile. Yes... I feed year round, put out mineral blocks for them, protein blocks, grow grass and mow a third of the feed plot, just to keep lush grass growing all summer for them. Had 3 hens with a dozen or more bitties on camera yesterday, few pigs last week, coyote pops up on camera occasionally, cooons every night, squirrels, dove, crows daily. Hard to get it out your system when you work at it year round.

Pictures like this one, are more fun than buck pictures, this time of year. (Y'all ignore the date on that, camera glitch there when I changed batteries. It was about 10 - 12 days ago.)

View attachment 848477

But, then along comes that one (or maybe two) bucks, that gets you thinkin... Hmmm! That one there might be a good crossbow target for that new Killer Instinct. (Yeah, same camera date glitch! I want to say these were both the same night. Reset the date next day.)

View attachment 848478
Looks like you have a good thing going there!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts