Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious as it seems that the rifles where the serial # was stamped in the side of the reciever (instead of on the tang behind the hammer) coincides with the time period that the really messed up rifles were coming out of the factory

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
I know they were there in 2008.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree...its very unbecoming when you are so used to having a sleek and clean receiver side on all of your other JM creations...I am also guilty of being lazy and resistant to change... :p

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Although we would all prefer the SN number be in a less conspicuous location, BATF rules make it illegal to alter or destroy a serial number; given that so many Marlin lever guns with top tang serial numbers have had those numbers drilled thru for the addition of tang mounted sites, Marlin had no choice but to move it elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can understand that

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Shoulda put em back on the bottom where they were before. Ain't nobody got no common sense any more! :-\ DP

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Can't do that either, as the lower tang/trigger plate is not attached to the frame and could be swapped with another gun; that's also a no-no with the BATF folks.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Bummer, guess I'm the one with no common sense. :-[ DP

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
This has been discussed before and as stated it's because of the BATF. The first move was from the bottom tang to the top, and that had to be changed as well. To me it doesn't make a nickel's worth of difference.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just for an FYI for those interested in knowing as a trivia thing...The 338MX is just got which is a very early 08 gun seems to have the sn in the old location..if so it must be nearly one of the last to do so...just sayin'

1 - 11 of 11 Posts