Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at guns on GB, and some "JM" guns don't have the serial # on the receiver, but some do. What year did Marlin, at least on 45/70s or Guide Guns specifically, move the serial # to the receiver from the tang?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Marlin didn't move the serial #, Remington did. The ones on the left side of the receiver start with "MR" and come from Illion, NY. Some of the older Marlins LG have the serial# on the bottom of the tang, inside of the top.

BB

Reactions: darkwater

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I don't know when they moved it, but my 1895 JM Cowboy built in 2003 is marked on the side of the receiver.

Marlin moved them on some of their guns so we could put tang sights on them when we play Cowboy and not disturb the serial number.

1895CowboywithMVASoule100LongRange_zpscff4d779.jpg

The experts will be along shortly.

B

Reactions: darkwater and BFPGW

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
I don't know when they moved it, but my 1895 JM Cowboy is marked on the side of the receiver.

Marlin moved them on some of their guns so we could put tang sights on them when we play Cowboy and not disturb the serial number.

View attachment 113990

The experts will be along shortly.

B
I see a 45-70 Cowboy for sale in Tulsa. The long Octagonal barrel, and Ballard rifling are a temptation, but at $750 I'm going to let that one walk. I'll have to just get by with the XLR. It's on Armslist if anyone cares to look into it. Maybe a Marlin man in Ohio needs it?

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
This past year I have seen 1895 JM Cowboys with asking prices of $1000.00. Last year I put a WTB listing on Armslist for a 45-70 and I got an email from someone that had a CB and was asking $900.00 for it. If you can score a CB for $750 that would be a good price for you, provided it is in excellent condition. The Northern East generally has higher prices than Oklahoma, so I think that would be a good deal if you have the cash.

At my age, a CB is not somthing I would spend that kind of money to get my hands on it. Nice rifles, but I don't see paying out that kind of money for what would be a safe queen a good investment.

Mike T.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Marlin didn't move the serial #, Remington did. The ones on the left side of the receiver start with "MR" and come from Illion, NY. Some of the older Marlins LG have the serial# on the bottom of the tang, inside of the top.

BB
I've seen some 91 prefix Guide Guns with the serial on the receiver, so perhaps after Remington changed the North Haven assembly line in 2009, they started stamping them on the receiver instead...just a guess.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

All the original factory made Cowboys have the serial number on the receiver. My oldest Cowboy was made in 1997....newest is a 2002.......all have the serial number on the receiver. Some Cowboy models were converted from other models by the factory or private parties, these are not factory original models so they have the serial number on the tang.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts