Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all --- Newbie here Shedd Rat,

I have been away from the daily banter of what is going on at Marlin and other firearms related topics since Marlin Talk closed. I was doing a little research when I came across a post here at the Marlin Owners forum that was related to my research, so I thought I would join, at least for a while.

I started building a Time-Line of events at Marlin since its beginnings. Brophy’s book has been helpful but it does not have all the information there is and since the book was published many things have happened that I would like to add to my timeline.

I have a question I would like to post for some lively discussion. It is a question that many of us kick around the hunting camp when the day’s hunt is over or at the gun shop on a rainy day. It has to do with when things happen in the firearms industry, both good and bad. Well, in the case of Marlin, I won’t say bad but disappointing because thus far nothing bad has come out of their factory. An example of a :D good question would be ”When did Marlin first offer a rifle with Micro-Rifling? The answer could be easily found in the 1953 Marlin catalog. My question is a lot harder. :(

My question is
“When did Marlin (month and year) knuckle under to the legalese of our time and rollmark an idiot stamp on their barrels? This is a disappointing event for sure.

Part 2 of this question is
What would you recommend to Marlin to cover their Butt from litigation while not ruining the beauty of a finely crafted firearm?

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
They first offered a bolt action .22LR with Micro-Groove rifling in 1953, but the 39a was the first lever in 1954, and it took until 1956 for the 336 to get MG rifling.
As for the warning, I believe it was around 1984.
I think Marlin could easily avoid a warning stamped on the barrel by puting it in bold print on the outside of the box, in the instruction manual, and even with a hang tag on the gun. No need to ruin a nice clean barrel with a short story.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Curing the barrel affliction

Rah Rah marlinman93 you have hit the nail on the head. Put the warning on everything else that comes with a new gun, except “THE GUN” Its a great start that would maybe one day stop this practice.

I am going to play the devils advocate :twisted: here for a minute. Pretend I am a Marlin Lawyer and Mr. Kenna comes to me and says, “ Our sales are dropping and I think it from this rollmark on the barrel. I have received a thousand letters about it. What happens if we just print it on everything that comes with a new gun? Would we be safe from lawsuits then?

My reply would be, “What if they throw away all that material and sell the gun legally to someone else? I think we could be sued if the new owner misuses it.”

If this terrible blight that has afflicted our firearms is ever to be cured we will have to cure all the ills.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
You cant cure all the ills. The problem isn't firearm related really. Its responsability related. It manifests itself differently in different products but says the same thing about where our societys at. Cars tell you to wear your seatbelt & even come with lights & buzzers, hair driers tell you not to dry your hair standing in the tub, knives come with packaging telling you theyre sharp & guns come with warnings on the barrel. None are nedded to keep you safe if your past 6th grade but all are needed to keep hungry lawyers from sueing a manufacturer because his clients an idiot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Warning rollmark

Leverdude you are 100% correct about the hungry Lawyers wanting to make money protecting us from ourselves. But cars and hairdryers aren’t guns. Not that any less care of manufacturing goes into them. You are also 100% correct about the responsibility factor. Until there is genuine tort reform there will measures, like the warning on the barrel, taken by any manufacture.

I guess, for me at least, I look at firearms as works of art. Not in the sense of an artist but the work of an artisan plying his craft to make something useful, Beautiful.

It takes the hands of many craftsmen to accomplish this. Maybe less so with the modern technology of today’s machines but there is still much handwork.

The designer designs it to do as it is intended safely, the machinist by his accuracy of metal work makes it function as designed. The wood workers take a rough piece of lumber and fits and finishes it to appeal to the eye. There are others in this long line that do their part. Heat treater's, Test firing people, Packagers and more. This is just the regular guns not the specially engraved models.

I use to make deliveries to Winchesters in the 70's and it was my longest stop because I would wonder around and talk to these people and almost to a man they took pride in their part of the finished product. I know if I were in that group I would be disappointed if the company policy was to smack the barrel with a meat tenderizer.

·
Registered
719 Posts
lawyers.....

you can sue anybody for anything.....regardless of the warnings...
..the story on the barrels were a direct result of some senator's efforts against those "bad guns"...... :evil:

none of my old and military guns have them....that's one reason i like old stuff! :wink:

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Shedd,

Please dont mistake my comment for support of these warnings. IMO guns are different than most other manufactured things just as you stated. In the eyes of the law tho theyre no different than anything else you can buy that can hurt you.
I'm waiting for a baseball bat with a warning. :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leverdude, I never thought for one second that you would support this practice. I would guess everyone here knows it is folly to think they could completely cover their butt with a warning.

Kaintuck you are surely correct about being sued by anyone for any thing. I am sure that politicians are where it started, them or lawyers.

Been there done that. Not the suing part but the sued part. In my case it was when I was a Paramedic in the fire department back in the 1980’s. We had a patient that “accidentally” stepped in front of a train and of course died. The family sued because their loved one had a pulse on our arrival but we did not save the patient. They named everyone that responded to the call and it started with me and my partner and then our Fire Chief then the Department itself, everyone all the way up to the town itself. It was the typical lawyers game of “name everyone and the richest of the group will pay”. Yes, you guessed it, they settled out of court for $40,000.

None of my story really matters but it lends credence to the absurdity of the barrel warning. I am sure when someone pulls the trigger on a gun, and an injury or death occurs because of it, the warning will mean nothing because the company’s insurance will come to a settlement anyway. Maybe the warning will keep the settlement lower, who knows.

I do know this; I have not bought a new Marlin, or Ruger because of these permanent stampings. I look for those older models that will provide good service or enhance my collection. I would rather sign a release when I buy the gun that says I accept all responsibility for my actions with a firearm.

Maybe they could put a 10” long sticker right on the barrel that say “Removal of this warning sticker mean you assume all responsibility for this firearm from this day forward. This includes the responsibility of passing on to any warning information to others that may use this firearm. Any resale of this firearm must also include the replacement of this warning sticker which is available from the manufacturer if lost” (for a fee)

I guess you all can tell this is a subject near and dear to my heart. Maybe that is why I have accidentally steered you good folks off what my topic started off as.

When did Marlin (month and year) knuckle under to the legalese of our time and rollmark an idiot stamp on their barrels?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts