Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A heads up...
I purchased a gunsmithing screw driver set today and can not find a bit to fit the smallest screw in the receiver of my 444P

Wheeler.jpg
This smallest bit in the set will go into the groove of the smallest screw head but does not fit tight. I am sure it would bugger up my screw head if I tried to use it. The next size up bit is to wide for the screw. This is frustrating. The kit only cost $16. Now I know why. Does anyone have an pointer on what screw driver kit I should get. I don't want to spend a mint. I only need a few sizes.

To be fair to the kit. I was expecting the handle to be lighter by weight and cheap feeling. The handle of the set actually has some heft making feel like it has some strength.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Take the next larger size and grind it to fit. That's what the gunsmiths do. Wheeler sells a kit with around 80+ bits. Even those won't fit every screw. Professional gunsmiths will have hundreds of screwdrivers and are constantly grinding new ones.

If you really insist on having ready made screwdriver for your Marlin, buy a set of Grace screwdrivers for the Marlin. They are handmade to fit the Marlin, and sets for other rifle makers are also available. Pricy, handmade, handsome, worth it. Midway sells them. And Cheaper Than Dirt, and I think Brownell's also. Do a web search for the company, Grace, and the website will direct you to other retailers.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
If you really insist on having ready made screwdriver for your Marlin, buy a set of Grace screwdrivers for the Marlin. They are handmade to fit the Marlin, and sets for other rifle makers are also available. Pricy, handmade, handsome, worth it. Midway sells them. And Cheaper Than Dirt, and I think Brownell's also. Do a web search for the company, Grace, and the website will direct you to other retailers.

Good luck.
If I care about the firearm, only Grace screwdrivers touch it.
If I don't really give a crap... then, by all means, reach for the rusty screwdriver I found in the garden. :biggrin:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. I found Grace online but did not know anything about them. I will certainly order a set of Grace screw drivers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Make your own out of the next larger size. A sanding drum on a Dremel will let you grind it down keeping the right radius. For what it's worth, you will never see a real gunsmith using a screwdriver with interchangeable bits. Buy a set of good gunsmith screwdrivers, like Forster. You will be glad you spent the extra money in the long run.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Grace's Marlin set flat out fits with no compromise. Email them and be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After looking for and not finding the Grace 5pc Marlin set for sale, I sent an email off to the email address found of the Grace web site.
2014 Sep 1 I sent off the email. Today, Sep 2, I got a reply. That was fast. I was quoted $38.00 plus $7.50 shipping to be paid after I got the invoice. I just needed to send them a shipping address. Which I did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts