Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is Clint Eastwood's "For A Few Dollars More". Don't know why, but I could watch it every day for a week and never get tired of it. Seond choice is 'Lonesome Dove' which has to be the best Western ever made.

MadDog

·
Banned
862 Posts
High Noon, no Tin Star, no Hondo, no The Searchers. Darn don't ask such hard questions :?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yep that's a hard question............ I'd say any western with The Duke,Clint Eastwood,Kirk Douglas,Audey Murphy,Clint Walker,Lee Marvin,Yul Brynner,James Coburn......... to name a few, in it. :lol:

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemn-May change after more thought.

Lonesome Dove-poke

The Last Cowboy-Tom Seleck

Quigly Down Under-Seleck

Good Bad And jayco-clint Eastwood

Dancing With Wolves-Kevin Cosner

I wont, I won't, the hell I won't-Duke

So many good ones to pick from but these are dandies. Nice topic. Life is good, BestLever

Reactions: Blaine

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is only one best western for me.....

True Grit

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
there you go Geologist. How can you beat True Grit :wink: Life is good, BestLever

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Can't pick just one...............The Shootist, maybe. Quigley Down Under is another. Lonesome Dove was special. Heck, if it was half decent, I loved the hell out of it.......

For Christmas, my Daughter and her BF got me a set of 15 REAL old John Wyane movies from before he got famous; Those old B movies are pretty cool, too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey!!! Wouldn't ya just know it - a few minutes after I posted this topic, For A Few Dollars More came on to the American Movie Channel.

Life IS good!

I forgot to ask WHY the movie you mention is your favorite.

I can't explain what it is about For A Few Dollars More that I like, but Lonesome Dove is historically accurate in the gear, guns and clothing used, the acting is as good as it gets, and the story has a fullness to it that is hard to describe. Once you've seen it, you never forget it. It offers something for eveyone.

MadDog

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Well all mentioned are excellent some real classics that will live for ever..

I would have to say the Magnificant Seven edges most out with the best opening scene of any movie.. But any Duke, Selleck, Arness,Brenner, McQueen,Murphy, Coburn and Elliot movie are up there ..

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Can't name a 'favorite' but Saturday night I watched Quigley Down Under. Had a lot of westerns on DVD to choose from.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Chato's Land-Bronson, guess cause I'm a breed myself,
High Noon- Gary Cooper, Winchester '73-Jim Stewart
any John Wayne, Tom Selleck, Sam Elliot, James Arness etc
Ah... just have a horse, a lever rifle, and wide open spaces :D

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
The Missing
Tommy Lee Jones
Kate Blanchett

Crossfire Trail
Tom Selleck
Virginia Madsen

Monte Walsh
Lee Marvin
Jack Palance

The Sacketts
Tom Selleck
Sam Elliott
Glenn Ford
Ben Johnson

Last Stand at Saber River
Tom Selleck
Suzy Amis
Haley Joel Osment
Carradine brothers

·
Registered
116 Posts
I love Lonesome Dove but....

I love Lonesome Dove but just one thing wrankles with me......when he's hunkered down in that hollow hiding behind his dead horse and those renagde buffalo hunters and them indians are taking pot shots at him.....

...one of the buffalo hunters starts using a big bore Sharps....and when those big bullets arrive and strike the saddle....just a small puff of dust !.....surely not!.......I'm guessing it'd be taking off VERY large lumps of leather and probably horse meat!!!!

So when they make the re-make.......please let's have more realistic action shots of our favourite calibre in action....

......still a great film.......and I also have Return to Lonesome Dove......great film too.......many a cold winter (all) day spent watching these two.

Safe shooting

Limey

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Quigly Down Under

They Call Me Trinity

Open Range

Lonesome Dove

The Shootist [any John Wayne flick]

Soldier Blue

·
Banned
1,744 Posts
Monty, what the heck are we doin here?

We're cowboyin Chet, it's a great way of life.

I've watched Quigley probably 50 times. Crossfire Trail almost as many. Open Range is ok, but I'm getting sick of Costner for some reason.

Last of the Dogmen was my favorite for a long time.

Will Penny is a good one. So is Bite the Bullet.

The worst is Sean Connery and Bridgette Bardeux in one of Louis Lamours stories, yuck. Still have the video cover but I must have thrown out the video.

Always sort of figured myself as a Clint Eastwood when I was young. Hate those dang spaghetti westerns though, not sure why.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
jackfish said:
The Missing
Tommy Lee Jones
Kate Blanchett

Crossfire Trail
Tom Selleck
Virginia Madsen

Monte Walsh
Lee Marvin
Jack Palance

The Sacketts
Tom Selleck
Sam Elliott
Glenn Ford
Ben Johnson

Last Stand at Saber River
Tom Selleck
Suzy Amis
Haley Joel Osment
Carradine brothers
Me three along with

"Last of The Dogmen"
Tom Berringer

And about any with Tom Selleck and my wifes hero Sam Elliot and ofcourse Brad Johnson.Brad refurbishes old leverguns and is makin or did make one for Tom Selleck who he hunts with from time to time along with Tony Macris(SP)I watched one show with the three of them and Tom got the biggest Elk and with a 45-70. :lol:

Jayco

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
One of the best in book or movie were the Sacket series. I grew up on Louis Lamoure Sp?

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Johnson County War
Tom Berenger
Luke Perry
Burt Reynolds

Reactions: Gabby1956

·
Banned
1,744 Posts
Sure-Shot said:
One of the best in book or movie were the Sacket series. I grew up on Louis Lamoure Sp?
Sure shot, I have a pretty complete collection of Louis Lamour, including his non-western and auto biography. He was a very well read and intelligent man. You would be surprised how many Hollywood movies, and not all of them westerns, were based on his books, including one that was a true story adaptation of his time as a transportation officer in Eurpope during WWII, which you would know as "The Red Ball Express". My collection includes a couple first edition hardbacks with the original paper cover artwork. He was very influential to me growing up reading his westerns, and a lot of the information has proved valuable.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts