Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After "pork steaks" were brought up in the Hot Sauce thread, I started thinking about what my favorite meat to eat was. I decided to list my 3 favorites ...

1. pork steak ... I have a serious weakness for pork
2. hot wings ... I think this should count as they started out as chicken (I think)
3. ribeye steak ... something that started when I was a teen ('bout a 100 years ago)

Okay fellow Camp Cook followers, name your top 3 favorite meats to eat.

bjm

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
if go to "game only" I'll take pronghorn everytime....

·
Premium Member
8,310 Posts
Venison and salmon.... rarely ever eat beef or pork. I wanna keep the arteries clear ;D

Although I do wanna try elk... I've heard it's just as lean as venison, yet tastier :p

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Any meat with salt and pepper on it. I haven't ate it in years but I really like rabbit southern fried served with rabbit gravy and taters :)

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
me said:
Any meat with salt and pepper on it. I haven't ate it in years but I really like rabbit southern fried served with rabbit gravy and taters :)
If I would have had any in the last ten years, this would still be my all time fav meal ... bar none.

bjm

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LT said:
Venison and salmon.... rarely ever eat beef or pork. I wanna keep the arteries clear ;D

Although I do wanna try elk... I've heard it's just as lean as venison, yet tastier :p
I have had elk three different times now. It would make my top 6 or 7 list.

bjm

·
Premium Member
8,310 Posts
I do have to admit I've got a weakness for southern fried chicken and country fried steak... however, when I make it I use olive oil to fry it in :p

·
Registered
603 Posts
anything with fur, fins, or feathers. especially if disney has made a cute, cuddly movie about them.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
h-bomb said:
anything with fur, fins, or feathers. especially if disney has made a cute, cuddly movie about them.
;D ;D ;D That's just sick ... but I agree ... 8)

bjm

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
If every Buffalo is as good as 1 or 2 I have ate, then Buffalo. I also fancy Beef and pork, then deer, chicken, turkey. Do they make a bad meat? ;D oh yea, SpAm :-X

·
Registered
79 Posts
.DIRTY-.THIRTY said:
oh yea, SpAm :-X
Is Spam actually meat? I thought it was just a ground up mixture of hard nerdy things. LOL! I bet if it was dried and aged, it might make for some interesting gun grips. ;D

Andy

·
Banned
16,492 Posts
1. Elk, from neck stew meat to rump roast.
2. Scallops.
3. Quail breast.
4. Beef pot roast.
5. Trout.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
.DIRTY-.THIRTY said:
If every Buffalo is as good as 1 or 2 I have ate, then Buffalo. I also fancy Beef and pork, then deer, chicken, turkey. Do they make a bad meat? ;D oh yea, SpAm :-X
Buffalo is great eatin' especially if you are trying to restrict your beef in the form of ribeye steaks. The only problem (not one for me though) is that as lean as it is, it has to be cooked no more than medium, otherwise you can make a pair of sandals.

Furlong222, I never had pronghorn. Where would you put it in description in taste of various meats?

Also if you want a change of pace from hot wings, try mixing about a 1/4-1/2 cup of olive oil, 1 TBS of chopped garlic and 1 TSP of dried rosemary (or a bunch of fresh sprigs to taste) in a saucepan and warm it up so the flavors blend. Throw your fried wings in that mixture and you will swear you just landed in Italy.

For those who don't like the sharp points of dried rosemary, just throw them in your coffee grinder, grind to a powder and place into any small glass container (short squat empty salsa jars make great spice containers).

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Either Tassie or Glen Innis spring lamb. But I've had yearling kid goat I shot near Charleville that was just as good.
Or wallaby with rosemary and bush peppers done in the camp oven. Too much good stuff to choose just one. ;D

Mark.

·
Premium Member
8,310 Posts
Oz said:
Either Tassie or Glen Innis spring lamb. But I've had yearling kid goat I shot near Charleville that was just as good.
Or wallaby with rosemary and bush peppers done in the camp oven. Too much good stuff to choose just one. ;D

Mark.
I have to ask... Kangaroo?

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
pronghorn tastes like goat kind of mild/ sweetish not as strong as venison its been a long time since I had any...since I left NM...I've never killed an elk but my friend has...several...and that would be my second choice...

·
Banned
16,492 Posts
I personally believe pronghorn to be the worst of the big game meats. It is goaty, and sensitive to kill/ dressing out temperature as well (season is late August, early September). I'll never kill another.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
LT said:
I have to ask... Kangaroo?
Yes roo is very good tucker too. Very lean and needs to be cooked rare, comparable to venison.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I hear ya Biku..Pronghorn doesn't make my list.

I'm fond of gator and rattlesnake, Elk, deer, moose, bear if it's done right, wild turkey..kangaroo is good too. had horse once, I wouldn't pass it up if offered again.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts