Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally had a chance Tuesday to get in some good range time with my 1895 Cowboy and had been wanting to try some loads with the Hornady 350 gr. FP. I keep hearing about how well everyones rifle shoots but this is the best I was able to get out of mine. Should I try to sell it or maybe just give it to some poor unsuspecting sucker?

Actually very pleased with this (read still can't get the grin off my face)...Load was a pleasant shooting Hornady 350 FP, Starline brass, CCI Large Rifle Primer, and 45.2 grains of Reloader-7. Hornady manual lists this charge at 1700 fps, but with the 26" bbl on the cowboy, it clocked in with an avg. velocity of 1878 fps. Temp was around 50 with a slight Montana wind (20-25 mph) from my 7 o'clock, elevation of 3500'.

The top three shots was the load listed below, the two shots at the bottom of that group plus the one just at the bottom of the pic were a differne load. Target was shot at 100 yds from the bench rest. Optice was a Burris 3x9 compact that I put on it for load testing purposes (normally it wears a Marbles tang sight).

Sure do wish this gun would shoot...LOL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
Hey Cowboy,

Some real fine shooting!

Think your jacketed bullet load development is done!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
653 Posts
That's about the same thing my Guide Gun did the other day with Laser Cast 405s at bout 1600 fps, was pleasantly surprised to say the least.Look out deer or bear or any other target of opportunity:biggrin:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! Mine has a 2008 birthday, bought her new in 2009, but between a shoulder surgery, an auto accident, followed by a neck surgery, all my shooting has been with Laser Cast 405's behing 13.0 gr of Unique. I have just gotten the go ahead from the doc that I can go full bore now so that is why I am just getting into some serious shooting/load development.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Well I don't blame you I wouldn't keep a gun that couldn't shoot any better than that. Why don't you ride on up to the Canadian border and hand it across to me and i will try and stiff some old Canuck with it. eh

Reactions: Mt Cowboy

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
The only thing a Cowboy needs.............is a good Cowgirl! Solves most of the problems in the world. (sorry, couldn't help myself!) :biggrin:

Reactions: glockmeister

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
You Surely should ditch that ASAP!!!
I will PM you my address and you can send it here and I will dispose of it Properly for you!!! :)

Nice Shootin.

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is another load that shows some possibilities. Definately a one shot killer, if I can get the critter to pull the trigger that is. Again with the Hornady 350 FP, Stareline brass and CCI Large Rifle primer but powered with 59.5 gr. IMR 8208 XBR. A real shoulder thumper with an avg. vel of 2121fps but only 13.37 fps extreme spread and a standard deviation of only 7.34 fps. This one measured a whopping .75" center to center!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Mt. Cowboy, you just keep working on that load with that 1895, you will eventually find a load that works. In the mean time write that load down, put on a sticky note in your loading room, put it on a thumb drive and stash in your safe and last but not least remember it, seems it works in your Marlin. That is some very nice shooting and if I were you I wouldn't change a thing. Take care, John.

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
well there seems to be plenty of fine folks ahead of me willing to dispose of that non-shooter you are stuck with... else I'd make the same offer... nice shooting... looks like you got a keeper! :top:

Reactions: cds4570

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really appreciate all the kind offers, but I would feel really bad to burden any fellow MO'rs with this headache...it might even get me banned form this wonderful site. Also there isn't anyone that I know that I dislike enough to trust it upon so I guess I'm just stuck with it...so sad.. (still grinning like a crazy man...how long does that usually last BTW?)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Mt. Cowboy, I'm proud of you for stepping up to the plate like this, very proud. Only a true MO person would endure the hardships of a poor shooting Marlin like the one you have, and not complain. Suffer through the tough times and maybe you will find the true cause of the problem. Good Luck, take care, John.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Wow if that is a poor shooting one then maybe my guide guns barrel needs tuning? Nah Great shooting

·
Banned
303 Posts
I really hate to see someone stuck with a rifle he doesn't like because it doesn't perform up to his expectations, so out of the goodness of my heart I am willing to take it off your hands, just to relieve you of such a monumental problem. Seriously, I congratulate you on your acquisition. I got a cowboy (rifle) a couple of years ago, and after putting a Skinner sight on it, I can shoot very well at 100 yds. As soon as I figure out how to do it, I'll post some pictures, as on this site, if one doesn't have pictures, it didn't happen. Congratulations again on a fine purchase and great shooting!

·
Registered
244 Posts
@Mt Cowboy, sounds like you may have the beginning symptoms of an incurable disease known by the clinical name of Marlinitis. It exhibits itself in the beginning with the behaviour you are describing, ear to ear grin, giddyness, maniacal fits of giggling, euphoria, followed closely by an insaitiable desire to acquire any and all lever operated firearms built by the Marlin Rifle Company, preferably with the highly esteemed JM proof mark. My condolences to you and your family members. There is no known cure for this disease, but the symptoms can be temporarily aleaved by the afore mentioned acquisition of said Marlin firearms, along with regular association with fellow sufferers here at your official Marlinitis support group. We're pulling for you, we're all :biggrin: in this together. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Relax, Mt Cowboy, there's a 12-step program for Marlinitis. Because when you find one like the one you have.................well, you just can't control your self! Hang in there, you've a lot of support here on the forum. Oh, by the way, nice shootin' !!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts