Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the Local Gun Show on Saturday, got there early, money in pocket, saw at least 6 Marlins, I left with only a new skinning knife.

There were:
3 decent JM 30-30's
1 Nice JM 35 Rem
1 New in box Remlin 35 Rem
1 JM 1895 45/70

all the JM rifles were $400-550 CAD, $650 (tax in) for the Remln .35

I guess if there had been a nice Stainless model, I d have been more tempted (im a magpie, I like my shiny stuff). I was proud that I fought off the Marlinitis that morning, but now I wonder if I should have grabbed the JM stamped 35 Rem.

Ah well, water under the bridge now.

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
Well myself, I've got three 30-30s and another in layaway already, so I probably would've passed on those as well. Now the JM 35 is another story, especialy if it were a SC. Don't have any desire for the 45/70 have a T4, now if there would have been a 444P, I'd been ALL over that.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Its a different stage of Marlinitis that your in. After 4 30-30s, a couple 35s and a couple big bores, I now look for the odd stuff. Saddle Ring Texans, SCs, Cowboys, Waffel Tops, My birth year Marlins and those ever elusive Square Bolt 30-30s... 1893s are they? And of course a 39 Mountie.

Hayden.

·
Premium Member
12,136 Posts
Nothing is wrong with you.

You may have reached the point where you realize that people, and perhaps adventures, are more important than things.

I'm there. I don't need any more guns, I would rather spend my money going on trips to hunt, hike, fish, and just hang out with good friends and family, rather than accumulating yet another nice gun to take up space in the gun safe.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm at the point where I have to pass up good deals on Marlins, simply due to a combination of lack of money and kids. The ones I look for are the oddballs as well, like NickyHayden pointed out. Good luck finding your SS!

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
133 Posts
To properly diagnose the problem, we need more information.
1. Do you already have multiples of what you saw at the show?
2. Was there something undesirable about each one?
a. price
b. condition
3. Did any of them talk to you?
4. Was there an outside influence causing you pass on all of them?
5. Again, do you have too many Marlins?
6. You are aware that we do rescue work here?
7. Has it been too long since your last Marlin purchase?
8. Is it just a shiny need that you have to fulfill?
9. Were there too many choices and you froze up and couldn't make a decision?

The last 3 gun shows I have been to, I have only seen 1 Marlin and 2 Remlins and only the 444 tried to communicate with me but, I didn't have any $$$$.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I suppose I could still be had on a SS or even a nicely figured SC, but four thirty-thirties seems to mostly keep me happy.
1948 ADL, smooooothe but a little scruffy,
A nice older Texan,
A Glenfield 30-my substitute SC and most often used .30-30, and
the Crown Jewel, a minty OCTAGON.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
all the JM rifles were $400-550 CAD,......but now I wonder if I should have grabbed the JM stamped 35 Rem.
Yes....and that is the germ of insanity that will haunt you until you get one. It's like Marlaria...just keeps coming back.:biggrin:

·
Banned
2,803 Posts

You may have reached the point where you realize that people, and perhaps adventures, are more important than things.

I'm there. I don't need any more guns, I would rather spend my money going on trips to hunt, hike, fish, and just hang out with good friends and family, rather than accumulating yet another nice gun to take up space in the gun safe.

Regards, Guy

Just dumped 18 safe queens (rifles) & 14 handguns will be going on the auction block in a couple of weeks.
I still have 3 Marlin leverguns, 4 Winchester leverguns, a bunch of Remington & Savage bolts, a Winchester model 100, a BAR, 2 BLRs and a few more.
Last time I counted I only had 2 hands.
I got rid of the dust-a-rounds & kept the ones I actually use.
The money will come in handy.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
I hate it when they communicate with you when all your trying to do I walk by. Was in a shop yesterday to just shoot the bull a little and a jm 1895 with some sexy wood on it was whispering from the back row. I picked it up to say hello and it's hard to tell if it's even been fired, no bluing worn off the hinge of the lever yet. Fit and finish is as good as I've ever seen. Tag said $600. I don't need it, I don't need it..........I know where I can get brass.....I don't need it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To properly diagnose the problem, we need more information.
1. Do you already have multiples of what you saw at the show?
2. Was there something undesirable about each one?
a. price
b. condition
3. Did any of them talk to you?
4. Was there an outside influence causing you pass on all of them?
5. Again, do you have too many Marlins?
6. You are aware that we do rescue work here?
7. Has it been too long since your last Marlin purchase?
8. Is it just a shiny need that you have to fulfill?
9. Were there too many choices and you froze up and couldn't make a decision?

The last 3 gun shows I have been to, I have only seen 1 Marlin and 2 Remlins and only the 444 tried to communicate with me but, I didn't have any $$$$.
1 have Multiple 30/30's, No .35 Rem, no 4570
2 nope, all clean and pristine and reasonably priced
3 they all talked, I just put my fingers in my ears
4 yes, imagining the voice of my wife when I got home :)
5 no, i have 5, but not "too many"
6 LOL im sure you do :)
7 not long enough I guess
8 no, i have my eye on a black rifle too, a spendy one, thats a factor
9 yea, could have turned into an all or nothing scenario so I ran from the building after 45 minutes (accurate time) and went home with nothing

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Regards, Guy
Well, im tryin to be that guy to be honest.

·
Premium Member
12,136 Posts
It's hard. Just yesterday I came across a truly beautiful Winchester Model 70 Super Grade .30-06 that looked so good... And I could afford it... Held it briefly, gave it a good look-over and handed it back. Smiled and walked away. That's a thousand dollars closer to my out-of-state mule deer & pronghorn hunt, just from walking away from the rifle.

Guy

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Yep, I know where you are. I have been looking but not buying. Till the other day. Ran across a model 60 SS. The guy wanted too much it was on ams list. Offered him what I thought the gun was worth, Just to see what happens. He took it. So now Im obligated. So went to meet him to look it over. Upon inspection I notice front screw missing on trigger guard, and told him I give even less because of that. He went for it. So I got it for $ 100 In stead of the $125. Now I have 2. One blue and SS. So the marlinitis goes on. I tell my wife Im getting them for the grand children. The thing is the newest ones are twins and 8 months old.:hmmmm:

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
One of the dust-arounds was a beautiful brass receiver Winchester 94 Indian Yellow Head Commemorative in 30-30 made in 1973. Who takes one of those things hunting?
Why wear camo clothes if you're going to hunt with a gun with a bright sun reflecting receiver? Kinda defeats the purpose of camo.
Another was a 96/44 Ruger. Another was a Remington SS Marine 870 12 gauge.
The 96/44 was a good gun but I had guns which would do the heavy brush levergun gig better like my Marlin 336C in 35 Rem.
The 336C 35 Rem with the Hornady FTX ammo would reach out and accomplish the odd 250-300 yard shot that the 96/44 44 Mag with its garden hose trajectory wouldn't so it went hunting & the 96/44 stayed home.
The guns never left the safes so I turned them into cash money.

The acid test for me is: Do I use the gun?
If the answer is NO it's gone.
I've still got plenty of guns left.

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Definitely in remission. No way of knowing when it will return. All we know is it will return. Could be next week, next month, or even next year. But it will return. Meanwhile, enjoy the extra cash in your wallet. :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'd say you did the right thing. Unless that .35 Remington was an SC, in which case you have committed a grave sin.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts