Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wiping down some range brass after tumbling and found this. What us it a sign of, head separation, or just a bulge. Fine bad etc.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Looks like it was fired in a Glock or other pistol without a fully supported chamber. Don't think I would try to reload it.

·
Administrator
23,807 Posts
Reckon that is a neat way to sell you a non reloadable gun. I always did like single shots and revolvers.

But then 1911s and Browning High Powers in .38 Super are okay, they don't spit out brass like that. Of course they don't come in Tupperware. ;D

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
I have a storm lake barrel now. Problem solved and I can shoot lead without worries.

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
The pics are kinda blurry so its hard to tell exactly what all is "out of proportion"...

But from what I can see...there are 2 bulges, one at the base and one about the middle.

It fired slightly out of battery...all Glock pistols can do this, but they shouldn't do it for no reason. (I expect the same is true for any striker fired pistol)

Causes...ammo loaded too long, brass way too long, VERY dirty chamber, etc...

It might have been an overloaded round, but I don't think thats it...that brass looks like it was fired at an angle. (or maybe its just the way the light is hitting it)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Basically what I was wondering is the line 1/2 way around the case at the head. It protruded enough to where it is easily felt and seen. It is lower towards the mouth

·
Premium Member
6,274 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
The caliber wasn't mentioned.
It could be from a 1911 that someone 'throated' to make feeding wadcutters easier.
The firing pin mark on the primer will tell if its Glock. Glocks leave a rectangular mark, others leave a round mark.
M.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The brass looks exactly like the brass shown on the lee bulge buster thing. Anyone use that tool?

Caliber is .45 acp will look at primer once I get home

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I say range brass. It's brass from the range most is mine but some is extra stuff that got swept up. I have just never seen that before so I was wondering. I've never seen anything come out of mt 1911 that looked like that

·
Registered
522 Posts
mebe007 said:
The brass looks exactly like the brass shown on the lee bulge buster thing. Anyone use that tool?

Caliber is .45 acp will look at primer once I get home
Yes, I do use the Bulge Busters and they work very well. .380, 40 S&W and 45 ACP use the Carbide Factory Crimp die with the Bulge Buster Kit for those cartridges as they are straight wall cases. For 9mm Parabellum use the 9mm Makarov Carbide Factory Crimp die as the 9mm Parabellum case is a tapered case and the 9mm Parabellum Factory Crimp die has too long of a carbide ring for that case.

FYI, if you don't use the Bulge Buster on the case before reloading, you can run the loaded cartridge thru and it will fix the bulge. I also use it with loaded 45 ACP using a certain lead bullet that I cast but do not size and let the Bulge Buster do the bullet sizing while the bullet is in the case. Works pretty well, even modified a progressive to run it in the last station.

·
Registered
522 Posts
mebe007 said:
When I say range brass. It's brass from the range most is mine but some is extra stuff that got swept up. I have just never seen that before so I was wondering. I've never seen anything come out of mt 1911 that looked like that
Sometimes that bulge near the head happens in some full auto weapons as well as the older Glock barrels.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The pictures are not that clear to my eyes but I have had funky looking brass come out of the sizing die due to debris in/on the shell holder that allowed the brass to enter the sizing die cocked.

Hip

1 - 16 of 16 Posts