Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
When I was a boy, Chesterfields were 19 cents a pack. Dad would send us to the store with 20 cents. And we got to keep that penny!
When I was a youngster, we could play 10 cent games at the county fair and win a pack of Chesterfields or Pall Malls! Non filter too! And you got free matches!

The whole world is a different place nowadays. The friggen Social Security web site asked me 3 or 4 times what gender I was, which I "associated" myself with and what I wished to be referred to as! WTH! Give me a break!

Male or Female is plenty enough information I think! Things are changing so fast, and prices are climbing so quickly, I'm not sure I want to live to "a ripe old age" in this madness.

Firearm and ammo prices are of course at an all time high right now. It's even got me to thinking about selling off a few and retiring early!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Inflation plays a part in the recent increase in gun prices, but a larger portion of this condition is the profile of the buyer. Some people in the market have loads of cash, and a plain hankering for safe full of famous name firearms. Colt, Winchester, Ithaca, Marlin, even Remington, are magnets for the moneyed buyer who wants what he wants. Those of us who remember $100 Marlins are now in the minority. I would still rather have the rifle than the money.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Unfortunety.... some people are paying these inflated prices which is why sellers are still trying to get these crazy prices. While I wont be paying these prices, I also have been keepimg track of these price gouger sellers and defintely wont be doing business wit them in the future.
You make a good point. It is not what they sell for, but rather what they are bought for that matters.......

·
Registered
872 Posts
So I go on gun broker to bid on a nice '77 vintage 336 in 30-30 and offer 700.00 which I think is a reasonable price and keep getting out bid and the gun finally sells for $ 1,250.00 !!! Which I think is totally nuts. Is this the market today? Might be time to find a new hobby. Any thoughts? Is this what I should expect to pay for a standard 336 ?
I think it's a scam. I have heard that someone will keep on bidding to get the price higher then stop. Don't know if its true but I have heard of this happening. Only a fool would pay that much. I wouldn't buy anything from GB. People have gotten scammed through GB. CAVEAT EMPTOR.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Never bid early. That only gives others the opportunity to bid after you. While some auctions add a certain amount of time after you bid, which is fair - their forum, their rules - if you bid just before the end, you only have the folks who are actually watching who can then outbid you. Now as to 'automatic' bids, that is another thing and not what I'm talking about. If you wait to the near end of an auction, then you have an idea if bidding is nuts or reasonable. Right now the world is nuts!, and so are a lot of gun auctions. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Yes, that's one way to go. But I have found that there is usually someone who sees your 'max' bid and then figures they are willing to go just over it and you loose. If you wait, they either won't have the time to think it over, or they won't even realize you placed a bid. That may not work as well on GB as it does on eBay, but if you really want it, that is my recommendation.
Good luck bidding!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
How about this -- bid the max you're willing to spend on the gun, forget it until the auction ends. You win or you don't, but you never get ripped off....
Yeah, thats's the way online auctions work. Waiting until the end does nothing. eBay figured that out two decades ago.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just 3 years ago or so I bought 2 336 rifles. One 1948, one 1966. Both were well under 400 dollars in very good condition. Now I could sell each of them for double.

I suspect that the current price increases are the result of normal inflation of products that are no longer being made, people spending extra money accumulated over years of a prosperous economy, and lastly people riding the wave of buying a product that is increasing in value (speculative). Once one of these factors change then the demand will slow, but only time will tell if that's true.

Those who have a safe full of these rifles can fund their retirement or send their kids to college if they like as they made a good investment at some point. Kudos to those who had the foresight to buy early.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,360 Posts
My collection has thinned down, and just around the corner to 70, to what I consider the bare minimum. Some might think it a collection. I've got the basics loaded from .22rf to .375 Win. I may someday want more but I have all I need.

AC

·
Premium Member
10,161 Posts
well with the gas, that is what happens when you have a communist traitor and his crew running the show, not to mention he cut our gas spigot off! what a worthless idiot! i had some friends over the other day for a black powder shoot. they were talking about when the anti-Christ gets here. i told them the spirit of anti-Christ has been here all along and already is working, 1st John 4:3 but when the real one gets here you won't have to wonder if that is him,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
291 Posts
Gas is $4.49 in Washington where I fuel up right near the border. Probably closer to $4.19 if you drive 30 miles south. Here on the north side of the border in BC it’s $6.35 USD or $8.20 CDN per gallon. That is insanity! My last 336 I traded another gun for that I paid $400 for years back, but didn’t ever shoot much. It was a semi-auto military rifle that is going to be “prohibited“ here very soon, if it isn’t already. I would still love to have it in my safe, but I bet I could get $1800 CDN for my 336BL with Nikon 1-4x on it. I’m into the 336 for under $600. Of course, then what would I do? Go buy another one for stupid money too? Nah. I’m good with what I have.

·
Administrator
30,338 Posts
I can remember the price for a gallon of gas was $0.17, filled the tank yesterday at $5.89 a gallon. What did a 336 Marlin cost back when gas was $0.17 a gallon compared to now at $5.89 a gallon, yeah, a tad more would be a gross understatement.

Of course, I remember my 1800 sq ft new ranch style home cost me $18,000 in 1971, home prices today are insane. When a country sports fiat currency, it's not money but currency, and the ones running the show spend the currency with disrespect to any long term value, one can expect inflation to soar into the stratosphere. Add a senile despot for a president who never earned an honest dollar his entire life and you can expect very bad things to happen and here we are... living the nightmare.

Jack

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Yeah, my home value went up 53.4% since 2017.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts