Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So I go on gun broker to bid on a nice '77 vintage 336 in 30-30 and offer 700.00 which I think is a reasonable price and keep getting out bid and the gun finally sells for $ 1,250.00 !!! Which I think is totally nuts. Is this the market today? Might be time to find a new hobby. Any thoughts? Is this what I should expect to pay for a standard 336 ?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I would pay it if the metal was all gold. I have made a swerve over to vintage tools. Just nailed 3 Stanley vintage 720 socket chisels and will make handles with leather top. Bought a new back saw from Bad Axe Tools that ran about $280. Beautiful saw. Nice to have that stash of firearms in the cave.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Unfortunety.... some people are paying these inflated prices which is why sellers are still trying to get these crazy prices. While I wont be paying these prices, I also have been keepimg track of these price gouger sellers and defintely wont be doing business wit them in the future.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I was looking at several new car dealers several weeks ago. I'm in central New Jersey.
A Subaru dealer was adding $2,000 on top of MSRP. A Toyota dealer was adding $5,000 on top of MSRP!
Some dealers are not doing this but a lot of them are!

You gotta shop wisely and do it now!, 'cause things are only gonna get worse!
(All the 'stuff' I bought during the last five or so years was actually a wise investment - I just didn't know it at the time.)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I've never felt GB a viable place to buy a firearm. And this from a fella who has likely purchased 50+ rifles online. I find much better deals by consistently searching Armslist, GunsAmerica and GunsInternational for what I'm looking for OR just for the occasional screaming deal.

You can't "blame" sellers for listing on GB so as to get the most $$, but remember that there are LOTS of folks out there with more $$ than brains..... 🙄

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
So I go on gun broker to bid on a nice '77 vintage 336 in 30-30 and offer 700.00 which I think is a reasonable price and keep getting out bid and the gun finally sells for $ 1,250.00 !!! Which I think is totally nuts. Is this the market today? Might be time to find a new hobby. Any thoughts? Is this what I should expect to pay for a standard 336 ?
The market sets the value. Auctions are bad because of 'auction fever'. If you don't like the price wait for a ruger made 30-30.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Unfortunety.... some people are paying these inflated prices which is why sellers are still trying to get these crazy prices. While I wont be paying these prices, I also have been keepimg track of these price gouger sellers and defintely wont be doing business wit them in the future.
The current supply is thin, and the supply chain is being regularly disrupted since 2020. Plus we've got double digit inflation.

In addition, every economic issue we're currently suffering presently is a direct result of government interference in markets and banking. Every single one. And there is no surer cause of shortages than government interfering in markets and banking.

We have an "anti-gouging" law here in Texas, and I can tell you it's a huge problem. About 48 hours before Hurricane Harvey made landfall back in August of 2017, there wasn't a grocery store anywhere near me with any water on the shelves, and no gas station had any gas. Why? Because they couldn't raise their prices. They all ran out, and stayed out for about 10 or 15 days because of the supply disruption caused by Harvey, because everybody was out buying up everything that wasn't nailed down before the storm even hit. A case of water at $20 is useful to anyone willing to spend the money, or in dire enough need. A case of water at $4, but none on the shelves and none to be resupplied for a couple weeks, is of benefit to nobody, rich or poor. Didn't affect me either way because I'm a prepper and have had plenty on-hand for years. But most people ain't me.

Not fussing, amigo, just trying to flesh this out. Too many good men have just soaked in the communist BS (taught in our schools, and in far too many of our pulpits) about "greedy" businessmen, and this idea of "gouging" is just one more in a litany of prevarications by Marxists. It only serves to draw your attention to a red herring ("greedy" businessmen) and ignore the real culprit, which is government.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had always wanted a Marlin 336 but decided back around 1984 that I wouldn't buy one with the crossbolt safety. Well, years went by and I never bought one. Then came the Remington made guns and now Ruger. I figured that I had better buy one before the prices got too crazy so I started seriously looking. Every shop in about a 75 mile radius that had an pre-crossbolt Model 336 had starting prices north of $800. And those were guns that had obviously been hunted with and had the scars to prove it. The one .35 Remington I found was missing the fillister screws on the receiver from a previous scope mount, missing the screws for some long forgotten receiver sight and someone had beaten on the dovetail for the original barrel sight which was also missing. The price on that sad gun was $1295 plus tax and almost $50 in DROS fees.

Of course I'm in California where everything is priced higher that the rest of the country but the days of finding nice, high condition pre-1984 Marlin 336's for $500 were gone a few years ago.

·
Super Moderator
6,796 Posts
When I was a boy, Chesterfields were 19 cents a pack. Dad would send us to the store with 20 cents. And we got to keep that penny!
and that penny more than covered the piece of Double Bubble ...

been there, done that :)

jd

·
Registered
38 Posts
Glad I got my 336 @ $150. 'Course, I got it from my Dad who had decided he was too old to hunt (early 80's), and "it won't eject and somethin's wrong with the scope. Won't hold zero". Asked him what he wanted for it, he said 150. I thought about it for a minute and said "tell ya what, 150 and it's a deal". He likes to haggle and with an age strangled mind thought that was a good deal Me too. ejector was gone, $7.50 to Numrich and 5 minutes time fixed that, never did find anything with the scope.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
OP, you'll just have to do due diligence until it happens. There are better deals out there, you just have to find them. I can only advise you to hit every gun show you can so you can hold it and determine it's value and bargain a little. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,360 Posts
See would inflation does. here's a calculator: You will see that inflation prices pretty much keeps up with inflation.

My dad, in the early 30's told me a penny would get him 3 pieces of gum.

I searched that as a child in the late 50's, early 60's I got one gun ball, or Bazooka Joe piece of gum for a penny.

AC

·
Registered
Marlin 336, 39A, 1894
53 Posts
Last gun show at Cleveland one of the old timers had 6 x .357 mag 1894's $1650 each. I was drooling

A Marlin Dark 45-70 went for $2600 at LGS

Good condition 336 around here Ohio now start at $750. That's about what I got for my last two at auction

1 - 20 of 60 Posts