Marlin Firearms Forum banner

whats with the gold trigger

7K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  stykbow57 
#1 ·
I've seen alot of 336 rifles with either a gold trigger or a black trigger. I have my eyes on a 1978 336 with a gold trigger. It's in really nice shape looks to be unfired. price is $375.00. I'm new to marlins but I was under the assumption that the gold trigger rifles were from chain stores does that mean the rifle isn't as good of quality. Any issues with late 70's rifles I should know about and is this a decent price for a gun of this age in almost new condition?

#2 ·
Genuine Gold Plated triggers were a standard feature on all Marlin lever rifles from 1958-1982 intended to add a little touch of class; the feature was dropped to save a few cents off production costs, and I don't believe the gold triggers on some of today's modern models is actual gold but is instead a gold color. This feature was not reserved for chain stores; and yes, Marlin rifles from the 1978 era are good quality guns and come without the cross bolt safety device.

#4 ·
No Marlin, even from the economy/chains-store lines, is of lesser quality. Some just have different features, or a hardwood stock in place of walnut. Like the "bullseye", the gold trigger was just a trademark.

#9 ·
stykbow57 said:
And whats up with the gold ring on the side of my 336 44 Mag? How common was that? I love it we we find really nice old dust collectors. Dennis

You mean the brass saddle ring?

The .44mags were only made '65-'67 and came with saddle rings. Texan models in .30-30 & .35Rem made from '65-'71 came with them as well......but not all of them had them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.