Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth while or just one of those things that people get, use once, and then put it on the discard pile :?: I don't have beer around any more, so I'm thinking a coke can and some other suitable elixer.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Tubby,

Whatever elixer you use just keeps the darn chicken so moist you can't stand it. Mmmmmmm Good!! Heck, just stick the thing down over a coke can, beer can or whatever and wait. Oh yeah, use pecan wood if you have it.

Dave 8)

·
Registered
362 Posts
All this talk is makin me drool...................:lol:

Haven't tryed it myself.....but have heard is real good!!!

Bass Pro has a wire device that will do 2 beer can chickens at a time..... Double trouble for sure!!

Looks real good!!

·
Registered
362 Posts
T3~

The only thing I can worry you with is that I've heard that some people have had problems with the ink/paint coming off the can inside the chicken... :shock:

So eat at your own risk!!!

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Sasquatch said:
T3~

The only thing I can worry you with is that I've heard that some people have had problems with the ink/paint coming off the can inside the chicken... :shock:

So eat at your own risk!!!
Use a bottle. :D

·
Registered
543 Posts
Tubby, apparently there is something to this. My friend Iris who is a good cook also makes this a lot and I even saw a recipe for it in one of the trade (gourmet cuisine) magazines I get so if I were you I'd try it. I'm going to try it when I get home so maybe you can come to dinner only I don't have any canned beer because I only drink bottled beer if at all. Last night I got some Lambic which was great.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RomanCandle said:
Tubby, apparently there is something to this. My friend Iris who is a good cook also makes this a lot and I even saw a recipe for it in one of the trade (gourmet cuisine) magazines I get so if I were you I'd try it. I'm going to try it when I get home so maybe you can come to dinner only I don't have any canned beer because I only drink bottled beer if at all. Last night I got some Lambic which was great.
I'm thinking a can with apple juice will be pretty good, too. I never have beer around anymore either. There's a 22oz Corona in the fridge, but it's been waiting for the right occasion....like if I bag a nice buck this year.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Tubby this month's Fine Cooking magazine has what looks like a good recipe for beer chicken but you could probably use apple juice if you like, if you want I can send you the recipe but first you have to send e your address so I can send it and then I can also stalk you.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RomanCandle said:
Tubby this month's Fine Cooking magazine has what looks like a good recipe for beer chicken but you could probably use apple juice if you like, if you want I can send you the recipe but first you have to send e your address so I can send it and then I can also stalk you.
You'll have to get in line........ :p

G

·
Beer cans, coke cans, don't matter. Use whatever liquid you want. I use this method in my smoker. Really moist meat. I use sassafrass wood to smoke. POWDERMAN. :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
powderman said:
Beer cans, coke cans, don't matter. Use whatever liquid you want. I use this method in my smoker. Really moist meat. I use sassafrass wood to smoke. POWDERMAN. :D :D :D :D :D :D
A little anise/liccorish flavor??

·
Registered
72 Posts
For what it's worth, I'm sitting here typing with a plate of "beer butt chicken" to my left. I tried it about a month ago and didn't do it just right. Tonight, I corrected and I can't tell you enough how moist and tender it is. It's the only way to roast a chicken.
dean

·
Registered
363 Posts
Has anyone roasted a "beer butt chicken" in a regular kitchen electric oven??

If so, what temperature setting and for how long, given the approximate weight of the chicken roasted???

Powderman, in your smoker, what is the procedure you use for "b.b.c." when you're using that method?? (I have a Smokey Mountain vertical smoker.)

Thanks. L.W.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Beer Butt Chicken can be done on a grill[setting med. to low] or in a gas/electric oven with the temp. set at 350. Season the outside and inside with whatever dry rub you like. I dump about 25% of the beer, coke, or whatever out, and add worchestershire sauce to the can. Put a wedge of potatoe,onion, or orange in the chickens neck to keep the moisture inside the bird. If cooking on grill, use indirect heat, meaning light one side and put chicken on the other, so you don't get flameups, and burn the chicken. Ove or grill, it only takes 2-2 1/2 hrs. to cook. Just poke it with a meat thermometer, and take it off. Make sure to put a pan under the chicken, with a little water in it to catch the drippings, or Momma's gonna raise hell about the mess in the oven! I have done 20-30 chickens, this way, and even the leftovers last less than a day.

Mad Dog

·
Registered
210 Posts
In south Louisiana, we call this recipe "Drunken Chicken", when the liquid in the beer can evaporates to a point to where it can no longer hold the chicken in an upright postion the chicken will fall over and is done at this point.

Tim

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Beer Can Chicken -

Also called Deacon Chicken in some quarters. This is because the wings will raise up and come together a bit as it cooks so it looks like a high church preacher with his hands out in a pious position.

My humble input is to mix beer, cider vinegar, 1/2 lemon juice, Adobo, and a little peanut oil. Mix up the whole beer but only put about 1" of the mix into the can. Punch holes in the top and sides of the can with a knife, then carfully insert. Make sure you arrange the chicken's legs to make a stable tripod with the can as one side. Save the rest of the mix to baste the chicken while cooking. Comes out golden brown and juicy. I'm thinking about trying this on my next wild turkey. Don

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, Don.....

·
Registered
135 Posts
Lemonade Chicken.

I haven't actually tried this, but saw it on a vid from an Aussie camp oven manafacturer, sounds ok:

Heat pan, sploosh a quantity of lemonade and then throw chicken pieces and swirl around until lightly cooked, splash of soy sauce and hook into it. I think I'd be putting a bit of onion, etc with it. ****.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Drunken chicken is great! I use a 1/2 filled can of Dr Pepper instead of beer myself though. Makes for a great smoked chicken or turkey.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts