Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm waiting for the 336XLR's to show up around my area, I've been wondering if there's any info on how the 336XLR was developed.

How did Marlin (and Hornady) come up with the best barrel size, rifling & bullet weight to work so well ?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Tomray would be the one to ask that.. All I know is what I have read in mags and thats not a lot except it works.. the 24 in barrel is not new to 30-30 and is welcome addition as far as I am concerned.. It alone makes the 30-30 a better longer range gun with factory ammo.. The Hornady Ammo just makes it that much better to reach out and touch something..

G

·
Technically they made the gun before in blued and walnut. And other then that and the crossbolt safety , the only change is in the twist in the barrel. If you look on Marlin's site the regular guns are 1:10 and the XLR is 1:12. Now do I think everyone that shoots 30-30 needs one ......no . Do I think you should get one to shoot the new Hornady bullets out of instead of your old rifle ....... again no. The new one may shoot just a tad better, but I wouldn't bet on it. Do I think you should get one if you like shooting Marlin's ............. why of course. I also think the person that is out to buy a quality 30-30 deer rifle would be hard pressed to beat it with any other NEW 30-30 on the market today. And as always that is just my less then humble opinion :wink: And before you ask yes I have one and yes it shoots those Hornady's very well. And no I did not try those bullets in any of my other 30-30's. 8)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts