Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 80s model 336W that never gets used. I'm itchin' to convert it to a straight stock shorty but I don't want un-burned powder flying out of the end either, wasting an inch of velocity.

So if I had this thing chopped-down while I was waiting on the stock - what would be the shortest I should go on the barrel?

·
Super Moderator
25,165 Posts
I would ask T-Roy on this one--he is the guru on this issue. I think legally you can't go below 16.25 inches if I remember right.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
16" is legal stay at 16.25" to keep from having problems, also leaves room to recrown if needed, cut away.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I've got a 30-30 in 16" and 24", I like them both. The 16" is very accurate and I use it when I think I'm going into tight spaces. the other is my cowboy. I use it for everything else! I wouldn't be concerned about the amount of powder burning....just use it. You'll like it..my 16" will do anything I ask of it under 200yds...my cowboy....I wouldn't hesitate to use it out to 400yds hunting with my reloads. Oh, and the only reason my 16" for closer targets, is because with that short sight radius, it can be a challenge to hit consistently for me beyond 150yds without bracing it on something.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Some of the answer depends on what powder and load you are using. Quick powders should have less residue exiting the muzzle than slow burning powders.

Did JBledsoe put you up to asking this question?

Reactions: Gallo Pazzesco

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if I go 18" that should be good? I'll guess I should wait on T-Roy to let me know if 16.25 is plenty long enough for 30-30 or not. I still want my comfortable range to be 150 yards and I still want it impacting with some thump at that range.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some of the answer depends on what powder and load you are using. Quick powders should have less residue exiting the muzzle than slow burning powders.

Did JBledsoe put you up to asking this question?
Nahhh ... lol. I was just thinking I've got that 336W sitting in there that I never shoot because I really don't like the cheap furniture and it's such a lug, but I figured if I shortened it, converted it to a straight stock and put a decent trigger on her she might be something worth toting to the stand from time to time.

·
Super Moderator
25,165 Posts
Just put new wood on it. T-Roy did that for me on my Glenny 30A and it now looks as good as it shoots! :tee:
DSCN0665.JPG

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
I think you're going to lose some velocity regardless, but not enough to mean anything for a woods rifle at reasonable distances in my opinion. For what it is worth, I have a 444P model with an 18" barrel (18 1/2" ?) and really like that length for my needs. I'd just go with what looks good for you (legally, ha!), and not worry about it. Have fun... :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
So if I go 18" that should be good? I'll guess I should wait on T-Roy to let me know if 16.25 is plenty long enough for 30-30 or not. I still want my comfortable range to be 150 yards and I still want it impacting with some thump at that range.
The 18.5" barrel on my Texan is pretty comfortable and I get a smidge below 2500fps with 150 Speers and LE powder. My Rossi trapper has a 16.5" barrel 45 Colt. It's my favorite carrying rifle for casual outdoor jaunts because of its length but it does bump my shoulder and have some barrel rise with heavy loads. For shooting stronger cartridges the 18.5" barrels are my preference.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Buddy, I'd go to 16.25" if I were you. You won't lose enough velocity at 150 yards for the dead critter to notice, and from my experience, the shorter the barrel, the stiffer, and more accurate it actually becomes. Go For it! Once you Whack, you'll never go back....:biggrin:
I'm sold. About to call my gunsmith and tell him I've got another whack job for him.

Now I need to set about deciding how to convert her to a straight stock with a longer LOP for my long arms.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 18.5" barrel on my Texan is pretty comfortable and I get a smidge below 2500fps with 150 Speers and LE powder. My Rossi trapper has a 16.5" barrel 45 Colt. It's my favorite carrying rifle for casual outdoor jaunts because of its length but it does bump my shoulder and have some barrel rise with heavy loads. For shooting stronger cartridges the 18.5" barrels are my preference.
Yeah, my 1894P is a 16.5" barrel and I carry it around a lot. Probably my favorite levergun on the rack.

I'm going to look at some burn rates and give it some serious thought. I was thinking 18.5 might be sweet for 30-30 and still short enough to be handy while not having to shorten the mag tube in the process.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Maybe i don't know how an 80's 336W is configured versus the 2000+ W's are configured. Don't both generations have full length mag tubes?

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

No, I didn't have anything to do with this......but it is a good question..:biggrin:

Now about powder burn, there is a common misconception that burn rate and barrel length are somehow related. Although a logical assumption it is only partially true. The reason for charcoal ( thought to be unburned powder ) residue in the barrel is incorrect burn rate....that part is true. However, the reason in most cases is the powder not obtaining optimum pressure. Usually due to wrong application or low pressure loads. Powder is designed to burn at a certain pressure.....any pressure below and we have residue in the barrel.....over that may be disaster. The ballistic lab guys tell me that powder burns completely within the first couple of inches of bullet travel but if the designed pressure level is never reached then residue (unburned powder?)is left behind.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Thanks for the insight JB. You have to admit, it sounded like something you would ask on a Monday morning.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Can't find the pics, but recently cut a 336cs 35 down to 18 inches, and the magazine is now a button. Frankly, wish I had not done it, the rifle is now balanced heavily to the butt. Since I carry a gun, rather than sling it, its for me intolerable. I thought about hollowing out the butt, but traded it off instead.

Disregard pic, that's a Ruger #1 6.5x55 that I can't seem to get off, thought it was the 35.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
I love mine shorty.jpg See Thru's and all:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I think Marlin answered the original question about the optimal short length years ago when it designed the 336Y. I've handled one, but I have never shot it or used it in the woods. It was not butt-heavy, perhaps because it still had a mag tube as long as the barrel, and maybe also because the stock was shorter than the adult version.

I think cutting the barrel to 16.25" and then lopping the mag tube to match would be a great success. That combination has been proven to be effective in the woods with factory loads.

Perhaps it's just me, but putting a lot of work into a chop job that results in an 18" barrel sounds like the proverbial "long run for a short slide", not different enough from the stock 20" version to make the effort and expense worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Still Like my 17 & a Half Incher!
DSCN0768.JPG
She Shoots Good Too!
DSCN0783.JPG
8rds Lee 170gr RNFP 28gr IMR-3031
Chop, Chop!!
UncleSarge58

1 - 20 of 27 Posts