Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took the plunge. I placed an order with Beartooth bullets. I ordered the lapping kit and a box of their 173 grain boolits for my 336ss 30-30. i want to shoot cast from now on.
So, whats the name of the die that i need to bell the case mouth to accept these giant bullets. they're going to be .310".

I can't wait to get started.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Lyman "M" die, works great. You should also consider a Lee Factory Crimp die as well.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I have the Lee crimp die and love it. I have crumpled many cases trying to seat and crimp at the same time. I gave up and it is worth the extra step.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
I use the Lee Universal Case Expanding Die for a lot of my cartridges. But another way to go, if you are using Lee sizing dies, is order a .310" EZ Xpander (#SE1935 - $3), this would replace the existing .308" expander in your Lee sizing die. I agree with jimone, use the FCD.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lee sounds easy. I should order the new expander the same size as the bullet???

on the Lyman die, Which one? there appears to be a 30 short, 30 long, and a 31???

My bullets will be here any day and I need to get busy.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
I use the Lee Uni also, just because Im a cheapskate.
It will work on my other 30 cals too.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
I use the Lee Universal Expander die. It has two expanders in the kit that will work with just about any thing that I load for.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I use the Lyman 'M' die that came in a Lyman M1 carbine set to load all the .30 cal cartridges I shoot, from .30 carbine to .30-06.
M.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts