Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a marlin 30 AW , shoot open sites whats the best color to dab on the front bead to make it show up better . Thanks DJ

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try different colors. I have seen red, white, neon green, neon orange, pink, yellow. Give them all a shot and see what is best for your eyes. I have never really used anything but white or yellow myself but it can make the sight disapear if the sun hits it just right.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
I prefer white in the timber or orange in the open. I've heard green is better than orange/red, but haven't tried it.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
roboskittle said:
Try different colors. I have seen red, white, neon green, neon orange, pink, yellow. Give them all a shot and see what is best for your eyes. I have never really used anything but white or yellow myself but it can make the sight disapear if the sun hits it just right.
+1, I just use whatever nail polish the wife or daughter has handy. One time it was black, that doesn't work as well at the brighter colors... Seemed like a good idea late one Friday nite, but Saturday at the range I was all like "what the hell?"

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
I try to avoid red -- seeing red in the early morning or waning light of evening is tough. I haven't tried the neon green or yellows yet, and have had the best luck so far with white. The testor's enamel model paint works well, and we still have a bunch of it from when my son used to build models.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Your eye will be your best guide. White works for some folks, red or neon green or yellow for others. I have found an orange-red fingernail polish (says "Mango" on the bottle) to work best overall for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I rabbit hunt and have toyed with some color variants and have found that neon green does the trick for me. +1 suggesting steering clear of red when in dawn or dusk scenario's. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Flat black!

·
Banned
430 Posts
Fluorescent orange or white

Red is the first color in the spectrum to loose visability in low light, Fluorescent orange is the last.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I favor black, it nearly always seems to hold it's shape and contrast, even in low light. S&W and other orange front site inserts tend to disappear in strong light but my old Ithaca deer slayer plastic orange complete front site was the best ever next to my little mauser barleycorn pyramid front sight that always seems to show up.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
burk said:
I favor black, it nearly always seems to hold it's shape and contrast, even in low light. S&W and other orange front site inserts tend to disappear in strong light but my old Ithaca deer slayer plastic orange complete front site was the best ever next to my little mauser barleycorn pyramid front sight that always seems to show up.
I covered my S&W sights with a black permanent marker.

·
Banned
430 Posts
Buy a tritium front sight and be done with it. I'm sure with all the selections one can be found.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
you can experiment cheaply with white-out and then dye it with a highlighter in a flourescent color,..the hot pink stands out really boldly and the other shooters think its really cute too ..even if you miss ;D

·
Registered
522 Posts
LuckenbachTexas said:
Buy a tritium front sight and be done with it. I'm sure with all the selections one can be found.
That's the way to go if you can afford it! So many advantages over non illuminated sights in low light situations and dark targets.

I have them on almost all my firearms and it's worth the cost. XS Sight Systems has a number of offerings that are not listed in their catalog. Call them with the measurements you need. Run about $60 for the dovetail inserts for the ramps.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
I like the tritium idea. But I sure do got alot of white paint. :-\

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
I tried some glow in the dark paint on my front sight of my model 57 one time "it was kind of greenish white in the light" and it was neat for a while but I went back to black.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts