Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that there are 2 piece scope bases, scout scope bases,ect...what I want to do is mount a scope, but have the option of using a peep sight as a back up and so I was hoping that some of you guy's could point me in the right direction as far a scope bases and peep sights.. it is possible to use a peep as a back up right? I learned on iron sight's and never had a problem until my eye sight started going downhill....I already have see through scope rings.. any information would help, thanks...Cynergyzed

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a Williams 5D peep sight on my rifle. It mounts to the side of the receiver. You can use a Weaver scope base on top of the receiver. You will have to trim the length, so that it clears the peep sight. Using QR (quick release) scope rings, you could easily remove your scope and then use the peep sight when needed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys, I will look into them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My main objective is to be able to have a mounted scope, and a good peep sight but I don't want to have to take the scope off to use the secondary sight's... Is this a possibility? I have been reading some other threads where they talk about having both, a scope and secondary sights, but they have quick release scope rings...I don't want to have to remove the scope, I want to be able to use whatever fits the bill at the time..if anyone has a set up in the order that I want can they give me information or show pictures please? Thanks again..

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Cynergized, the removable rings approach isn't as fast as a side mount or see through rings, but it's very handy.

I have the Leupold Lever Lock bases, very good, and my 336/.35 has a set of regular Weaver type bases, Simmons rings, and a flip up rear. I can dismount the scope and replace it with no change in POI. Takes a dime in my pocket, and a small pair of pliers or multi-use tool. There are still a few "Swing Away" mounts out there, but most shooters would not be impressed at their consistency.

There are also peeps that fit in Weaver bases, but they need to be removed to mount them. They work quite well also.

I've tried all of these over time, none are perfect in all ways.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Hello Cynergyzed
Heres my $.02!!! You cant do exacctly what you are asking, and have a "Consistent sight picture/Point Of Impact" rifle. The reasoning behind this is, you would like a mount that you can use the scope and irons with and not have to remove scope, well the only way for that to happen is to use "SEE-Through" rings :flute: and if you use this style setup you dont get a good cheek weld on the stock every time you raise your gun up to shoot because the scope is mounted very high up off of the receiver and you end up lifting your head up to see through the scope and you lose that cheek weld and end up with a in consistent sight picture resulting in an inconsistent Point Of Impact {POI}... If at all posssible you Always want to have your scope mounted as close to the barrel/bore as possible, it will help in keeping with the true bullet path, accuracy and adjustments Big time.....

My suggestion for you is to go with an XS Leverrail or XS Leverscout mount, I dont know if you have ever held/looked/shot with a scout style rifle, but it is a bit different than shooting a standard mounted rifle scope. The scout scopes are designed to be shot with "Both" eyes open and are very useful for tracking moving game, due to the wide field of view {FOV} you can have both eyes open and watch and animal moving, and you dont have as much chance of losing your sight picture and your target as you do with a conventional scope. Scout scopes are generally lower powered {read 1X, 2X, 2.5X, 2.75X} so you get a very wide field of view. I would suggest that before jumping into this style rig you check them out from a friend or at a store that has them. It is a good setup but its not liked by everyone.... With the levescout or leverrail mounts they offer the advantage of using Quick Release rings so you can take the scope on/off very quick if wanted, use peeps/ghotst ring sight and a scope or red-dot if you like...

So, now to what i suggest you take a look at, for what you are asking of your rifle is this the "XS Leverrail", it will give you the best options i think to what you want your rifle to do, you can have the peep sight which it comes with mounted correctly on the rear of the rail and you can mount a traditional style scope above or in front of the peep, this part depends on the height of rings, which again you want as close to the barrel/bore as possible, but certain scopes have different size ocular bells and alot of other folks on here can tell you what they use.... This will be my setup if i get another Marlin :flute: and want it setup with a scope.....

I use the XS Leverscout mount with a Leupold Scout scope on my 1895 Guide Gun and here are the pics of that, which you asked for

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
The old Swingaway rests are hard to come by, and im not sure why they quit making them, probably came up with something better like the GREAT SEE-Through mounts :flute:, But i like'em "The Swingaway that is", i have a few sets, and they work pretty decent.
I have them mounted on a Remington 14 or 141 {?} cant remeber 35Rem, and also on a 63' 336RC that they came on with an old Weaver scope.
I took the Weaver off and put a Nikon Monarch 1.5-5X20 and it is SLAMMED down close to the receiver, and i dont have any problems with consistency shot to shot, while swinging on/off... I Wish they still made'em.

Enough Talk, here's your pics;

s

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
If you go looking for the "Swingaway" rings and mounts, you might have better luck searching for Weaver Pivot Mounts.

I have a set on my Glenfield 30SC- they work great. Silent coming off.... big click/thunk putting it back. But they are cool- and better than sky high see-throughs.

M

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I have a Williams 5D peep sight on my rifle. It mounts to the side of the receiver. You can use a Weaver scope base on top of the receiver. You will have to trim the length, so that it clears the peep sight. Using QR (quick release) scope rings, you could easily remove your scope and then use the peep sight when needed.
This is what I use. It's awsome.

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts
My grandfather put a Weaver Tip-off mount on his Remington 722 in 257Roberts. He was the best shot in the family, and that mount never hurt his shooting any. I used it for a while and only once was it ever an advantage to be able to tip the scope to use the open sights, and then I forgot to do it! Guess you just have to pick your system and then practice using it. Good Luck.

Jeff
NRA Life

Reactions: Cynergyzed

·
Registered
787 Posts
Long ago Pachmayr made a side mount tip off scope mount like the one I have on a very old Savage M99. Mine is very repeatable and folds to the side to use the open sights. Adding a peep rear might require a very low mounted peep/ higher rings or maybe even a tang mounted peep. I looked on gunbroker for one of these but couldn't find one but there are lots of Weaver mounts listed that should work probably with normal top mounts. If you want something fast even though the lever removable rings are really nice they will take a bit of time and then you have a loose scope in one hand. NO I did not drill and tap the M99, it came that way but the Pachmayr mount keeps the scope on target all the time. I'm waiting for the day when someone making hunting rifles will add the 45 degrees to the right metallic sight system that STAG arms recently came out with to allow instant iron vs scope use with a low mounted scope with both scope and receiver sights are instantly available.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for your input..I will be checking out some of these systems....I probably will ask more questions when I find the right system for me...
And to Bloodgroove, I have been shooting with both eyes open for about a year now, so the scout system is one that I am going to consider, I love the sights that you have, do they come in a package? I ask this because there are so many out there that offer the rear sight and the front sight separately ..I just wanted to use the scope to get a better view of what I am shooting at...ya know?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts