Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently got a guide gun and 7 boxes of ammo for $400. 4.5 boxes of Fed. w speer 300 grn, 3/4 box of rem 405's, and a box of rem 300hp. I already reloaded for 45-70 for my contender so I have a supply of Bulk rem 405 bullets, and I cast Ranchdog 350 grn gc bullets out of wheelweights(362 grns). I have 5744, rel7, rel15, 3031, blc2, varget, biggame for powders that I can think of off the top of my head. I like 5744 and reloader 7 for 45-70 and have gotten good groups with my contender loads. took a nice Blacktail buck with the ranchdog bullet and 28.5 grns of 5744 last year.

So I need to put together an elk load should I use the bullets I have or get something else. I would like to use powder I already have. The elk I hunt are Roosevelts in S.W. Oregon. Well I would like to hear of any proven elk loads. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
I think one of the best powders for the .45-70 is IMR 3031.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I like Rx7 and 3031. My best results with 3031 are near max loads. I also use the 350 grain Ranch Dog boolits.

You should be able to make up an elk load with those components.

Corbi

·
Registered
194 Posts
sounds like you got a good deal, supertodd. I use RL-7 only for the 45-70 with great results. RL-7 will give you lower pressure for the velocity over many other powders used for the 45-70. All the loads and bullets you listed should be fine for Elk with the exception of the Remington 300 grain, my opinion.

Domenic

·
Registered
539 Posts
I would vote for the 4.5 boxes of federal rounds sporting the 300 grain speer hot-core bullet. You have plenty to sight in and hunt with.

·
Registered
593 Posts
white fox said:
Best load for elk. .35 Rem 200 gr. Remington. ;) ;D
Tough to shoot those out of a 45-70 and I think what is a good elk load for his 45-70 was the question and if the 35 Rem 200 grain is good, just think about how much better the 400 grain Federal rounds would be. :)

·
Registered
9,665 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Well, since I have 3 1/2 boxes of the Nosler .458 cal 300 gr PP, that is my pick. 2200 fps out of my 1895 Guide should get the job done nicely.

JD338

·
Registered
224 Posts
I can tell you from personal experience a 420 crater lite at 1800 with h322 will go through a bull Roosevelt from end to end inside 40 yards (wich is about max roosevelt range in my area). It will leave about a 2" hole through the first couple feet.

Of your choices I think I would pick the 350 RD with a heavy dose of RL-7

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My regular elk gun is a 35 whelen rem 760 with 250 partions. 200 grn cl is for blacktails silly white fox. I think I'm going to use the guide gun this year. Yep, udy450m, I have taken 2 bull roosevelts in the last decade both about 25 yards. My very first elk was with a cow tag- I picked the biggest cow in the herd, and found a 30-30 170grn wont penetrate a elk shoulder/leg bone, luckly I did get a high kidney shot and a lung shot then had to track it about 200 yards before it laid down- and had to shoot it again as it was trying to get up. After that elk I got my 35 whelen and will never be undergunned for elk again. Roosevelts are big tough animals in steep brushy terrian.

JD338 I'm RogueRiver on the Nosler forum.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Supertodd, I hunt the northern coast.

Any how the 35 Whelen is a good one for elk. Probably about as good as it gets really. Although I don't have one My cousin (elk hunting partner) has shot the wheln for the last 20 years typically with 250 Rem, or Hornadys. Even clean broad side shots I have witnessed very few pass throughs on a Roosevelt. They are tough critters. Thats why I am so impressed with the flat meaplated .458 cast stuff, the penetration is unreal.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
supertodd,

I hunt elk every year but in the Rock Mountains and I usually have long shots in the 200+ yard range. Not sure what distances you will be hunting but I have hunted the Pacific North West and shots were much shorter where I was at. I hunt with many different calibers and depending on where I go is the deciding factor on the caliber. The 45-70 being one of them, and I shoot a number of different bullet weights and if I take the 45-70 with me one I might shoot is a RCBS 405-FN, this bullet is made for gas checks but I do not put them on any longer because I use these bullets to make in to paper patched bullets and I load with a dose of IMR 3031 and I have had fantastic results with accuracy. When I first made these I was getting in to PPB's and another MO member, mommicked helped me to do that and another member Hudson also sent me some of his PPB's and I started with them and after I ran out of what he sent I started to shoot my own and I'm totally impressed with them.
If I were to use my 45-70 exclusively for elk this is the load and bullet I would use.

The bullets in the picture are 500 grain PPB's and this is one of the other weights that I use in my
45-70's, Notice that these bullets are not smooth sided and have grease groves in them, well they can still be used as PPB's.

Just some more idea's I thought that I would give to you. If you have bullet sizers for the bullets that you already have then you could get in to paper patching.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Just kiddin everyone. ;D A .45-70 would whomp any elk within it's range. That is a big hunk of lead. The Whelen is a top notch elk rifle with 250 gr. Noslers.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
My elk load will be the 300gr PT at 2325 out of my Guide Rifle. Shoots really well in my rifle and seems to penetrate really well. I would look at the Speer 300gr Hot Cor or any of Beartooths bullets if I wanted to shoot cast. Good luck buddy. LEt us know when you find your load. Scotty

·
Registered
539 Posts
beretzs, what powder and load are you using to get 2325 fps out of your guide gun?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
H4198, WW cases, CCI BR2's and 300gr PT's. Scotty

1 - 20 of 35 Posts