Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do all of my big game hunting(deer,elk,bear,moose) with my 444P. But I have a .30-30 that I like to plink with, and maybe try out some antelope hunting. I was figuring on using the Federal .30-30 125 grain loads. Is this a good one, or is there better. BTW, I dont reload, so it will have to be factory stuff.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have found, like many other, it all depends. I have great success with Win 150gr sivlertip. My brother (and his 30-30) like 170gr. Many people say good things about Rem Corelokt, also in 150 and 170. Try a couple at the range and see what happens. I would thngk the 125gr would be a good plinker, but for deer size, I like a little more a** in my bullet.
Btw, I am strictly a factory guy too. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Soft Point,
Not sure but I think fed did away with the 125grain. They own Speer now and I think they load their 130 grain.

Sounds like you need to think about getting into reloading.
Pb

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you find the 125s in factory ( I handload them for plinking), check with Sierra (if that is the bullet in them) to see what they say about using it on antelope. I had an unpleasant experience once with a 165 game king out of my .308 - after the fact I called them and they told me they didn't recommend it on antelope, at least out of a 308. Though ok on elk and deer, goats have a thinner hide. I did get my goat, but it took two shots, one too many. The people that make bullets generally have a good idea of what their intended use is meant to be. I took a pal's advice who'd hunted alot with that particular bullet, but we interpolated. Poorly.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
SoftPoint,

That is a hard question to answer. I used 7 different factory loads in 150 gr and 170 gr. the Hornady 170 gr. shoots best in my 30-30. Who knows what will shoot well in yours?

Dave :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
lago, The reason I found these forums is because I had problems with sierra bullets.( failure to expand. ) I was a grain and a half below maxium and was told I wasn't pushing them fast enough probably. I have to say though I was using and old manual because the powder was from that era. The broadside shots went over 500 yds, over 300 yds. and off the property. (was shot by someone else 20 ft over the line. The other one dropped on the spot and the final one went 200yds and wouldn't jump the fence so I got to keep her. Doe season, good way to learn about bullet performance. Working on Pacos data now. I've also got 9 marlins now to work up loads for now. All animals went down but I'm not allowed to cross the fence even if the deer do. Ate me up to see them lying out of reach. The gamewarden can only ask permission too I found out. So much for my friends crazy neighbor. Been needing to rant. Rick P.S. I was told yellow and red to kill. Green for targets.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The first shot dilled a perfect pencil hole in a vertebrae above the shoulder, 1/4 inch above the spinal cord. Goat went down like a sack of flour, dead presumably, at 230 yards I didn't know I'd screwed up the shot.

When I was 100 yards from it, with just a pistol and my cleaning stuff, its pals gathered round her, and suddenly she came to life crawling on two legs, then four, then they all lit out for the hills. We searched that land until dark and never found a trace. Finally gave up. Game and Fish guy figured we'd made a reasonable effort and that was that. Felt like crap.

Next day we hunted the same area in a light snow, hoping against hope to find it,but not a thing to be seen but one goat grazing a couple hundred yards away...and two yards from a private fence. After seeing nothing else we were leaving, and glassed the goat by the fence once more- it had a faint stain on its back above the shoulder. Hardest shot I hope I ever have to make, but this time I didn't mess around with using the rads to hold off, instead adjusted my range drum and shot kneeling as well, rather than try to get a rest and risk throwing off my zero. When we skinned it, we found the hole in the vertebrae I mentioned above- even though it hit bone, it just drilled right through, obviously only temporarily paralysed the animal the day before, but didn't kill it

Sierra was kind of horrified I used that bullet in a 308 on goats. Unlike the game king 165, the 125s have an exposed lead hollow point, that you'd think would help expand, but I'd still ask them. First. My impression of goats is they are tough little buggers, more than mulies or white tails.

They also don't get CWD.

·
Registered
662 Posts
If you can find them, the 125gr Sierra FNHP are an excellent bullet/load for small deer/antelope size game. The Sierra manual specifically states that this bullet has a 3+% antimony content and is intended for use on big game.

I have used them and loaded them for years. As a game-warden, I saw quite a few deer taken with it and have two deer and a pig from last season I took with it. I load it with IMR3031 to around 2,500fps. This is from a 20" bbl. and approximates the factory advertised 2,550fps. However, the factory ammo I chrono'd back in mid '80's ran around 2,400fps from a 20"bbl and 2,300 from a friends m94 trapper. He still uses the 125hp load too. We started out using some surplus H322, but switched to 3031 after I ran out of it (bought 16lbs!).

If not reloading, and not able to find the Federal 125grHP, try the Winchester 150gr RN-HP (silver box load, has CXP-2 rating). This is carried by Walmart and a box I picked up and tried this past season cost $9.96 a box (plus tax). (posted results on old Marlin-talk site). I sighted in with 5 rds, and shot a 1.75" 5 shot group at 100yd from my Glenfield M-30 (20" half magazine) with a Nikon 2-7X scope mounted. The 11th shot killed a Whitetail doe at 105yds. Recovered bullet weighed 110gr and had front 2/3 of jacked and lead shed, and a wad-cutter like shank with shards of jacket folded aside penetrated approximately 18" of deer before stopping just under hide (deer was hit in left paunch and bullet lodged under far shoulder). Chrono'd velocity was 2,280fps with a low spread (under 35fps).

This would be a "good" antelope load.

Perhaps the best though will be the Winchester 150gr Power-Point "PLUS".

This load chrono's about 2,400fps and duplicates my top .30/30 load of a 150gr Rem. Cor-lokt over 34.0gr of Rl-15. Going up to the Alliant max of 35.0 gives slightly sticky extraction, and evidence of impending primer cratering, and cases have to be trimmed at ~4 firings. 34.0 gives all the "FIRE" at lower pressures and is accurate ~1.5" groups. For you fellow reloaders, the Rl-15 and 150 WinPP-FN will duplicate the factory "power-plus" load as my 20" bbl shows 2,390fps with both.

This will give you the flexibility of heavier bullet, and velocity of lighter bullet. IMO the best "factory" load available for game under 300lbs. for .30/30.

I lost two deer hit this year -hit with the Speer 130gr FN (chest-lung shots- one at 45yds, other at 95yds), and have lost two in past two yrs. with the Speer 180FN in .35 Rem. -so I'm leary of the new Speer Nitrex/ Federal Power-Shok loads with the 130FN- (haven't seen any of either).
But, a new load in the .35rem with the 180gr would be a good "big" deer and black bear- big pig load if anyone's listening. I Might give Curtis Shipley with Master Cartridge a call about this one! He's a Speer distributer and loads the .30/30 and .35Rem under GeorgiaArms brand with Remington cor-lokt bullets. Good loads, more accurate than Remington boxed ammo, but velocities are about the same.

Good luck with your "goat hunting". Saw a few along I-40 this past November while heading to Colorado for elk hunt. (flew into LasVegas and rode with brother in his 4x4 to W. Colo.)

G

·
VTDW said:
SoftPoint,

That is a hard question to answer. I used 7 different factory loads in 150 gr and 170 gr. the Hornady 170 gr. shoots best in my 30-30. Who knows what will shoot well in yours?

Dave :)
I think dave had hit on the point to answer your question. I hunt, and have hunted mostly(the last 25 years)with a 3030. And after owning one that long you learn that in some ways no two are alike. Example: you can go to the Gun store and buy two identical 336 3030's off the rack and 4 boxes of say! Winchester 150 grain soft points, pretty popular factory load. But at the range you shoot 20 rounds from each gun and the first one shoots this round remarkable'y accurate, the second one shoot's OK butt the bullets seem to wander abit :? Hmmm! so you get youself some boxe's of say Federal 150 grain's, and you could get the same results only in the reverse order :? :? gun #1 shoots them all over the board when gun# two shoots them very accurately, Then you try Remington 150 grains and niether gun performs well at all the range :? :? . and you can do this over, and over with every factory load out there and get verying results weather it be 125 gr HP's all the way up to the heavist factory load made for the 3030. So I guess my point is that no one here can tell you what factory load will perform the best from your 3030, that you have too figure out for yourself. Like I have, I have a 1974 336T that hates remington 170 gr's, winchester 150 gr's, federal 150 gr's, Butt it loves Remington 150 gr's, Winchester 170 gr's, and Federal 170 gr's and it is also a tackdriver with the Federal 125 gr HP's. and I had spent alot of time and money to figure that out. So once you figure that out the next thing you work on is shot placement with practice, pratice, practice. as far as 125 gr for speedgoat I don't personally have a answer for that cause I have never hunted them. YET!!!! Roadhouse.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That was me above!!!!! Larry, can we fix this so it forces me to log in too post with like a big BOOT that will come out of my moniter and kick me in the head to remind me to login?:shock: :shock: :shock: Roadhouse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try the PMC El Dorado 150 grain Starfire load. It is a wicked hollow point design and very accurate out of my 30-30s (336, H&R Topper).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts