Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.450, Stainless, laminated, 24" barrel, excellent condition. What do you guys think as to value? I have opportunity to buy one. I found some old auctions on line and prices were 650-700 range but that was a couple years ago. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
I'd say about $800. And its only five or six spots down on this site right now with 80 pieces of brass to boot all shipped.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd say about $800. And its only five or six spots down on this site right now with 80 pieces of brass to boot all shipped.
The one I'm looking at is $700 OTD its in a local pawn shop.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
If you want a 450 marlin not too bad of a price. Not sure how hard it is to find brass or ammo for that cartridge. I just paid about $850 for my 45-70 xlr and I was super happy about that. I've seen those go for $1400. That's too rich for my blood though!

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I have a guide gun in .450 that I've had for years and reload for it (have a lot of 450brass). I thought I would buy this one and shoot it a few times and put it on gunbroker if there was an upside. I think I'll grab it in the morning.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I have both the 45-70 and the 450 XLR guns. I really like them both. A bit more speed in 300 JHP reloads in the 45-70, but the Hornady factory 350 JFP is the best factory ammo that I have ever shot. Speed well above anything available in 45-70 from factory. Also, no one that I know of sells a 350 jacketed factory load in 45-70.
Also, I find the 450 cycles a bit cleaner through the gun due to the rim differences.
If you like the Guide Gun, I think you will love the MXLR. The extra barrel doesn't give you much ballistic improvement but I find the balance to be better than the short guns.
Plus the laminated stock and stainless looks cool.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I picked one up for $750 plus tax and shipping. With the fees from my receiving FFL, it put me a tad over $820. If you can find one now for $800 or less, it is a really good buy.
Although factory ammo is sometimes scarce, it seems to run a cycle of availability. I am a reloader so I stayed away from the LE stuff. The Hornady 350 JFP is super stuff. I still have 4 1/2 boxes of the factory stuff before I need to switch to reloads. I could not get my 450 reloads to match the speed of the 45-70 loads, but the difference is not enough to worry about.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I just saw a used 1895M guide gun sell for $795+tax with a box of ammo here in northern NY. It also had a Leupold Rifleman scope on it.
Seems like an XLR ought to be worth at least that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts