Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would make a rifle turn an even patina, or a splotchy kind of a patina. Is it the metal or the handling and care of the rifle. Any insites
Jim

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
The way I understand it, patina is oxidization. Otherwise known as rust in varying degrees. The rifle was exposed to moisture in some form, or much less likely, some chemical.

If the patina in question is not to your liking, one solution is to use a curly copper dish scouring pad and something like Hoppes #9 or a light oil such as WD-40 to remove it. I recently used this method on an especially grungy 1880 musket, and it removed the patches of rust as well as caked cosmoline. The copper will not harm the metal.

However... On a nearby thread, my gun savvy has been openly questioned, so you would do well to ask around! :wink: SW

·
Registered
272 Posts
It will also NOT harm any bluing that is present.I use copper or brass brushes to agressively clean those grundgy guns.Remember the BLUE is IN the metal NOT ON.modoc

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
NebrHogger said:
However... On a nearby thread, my gun savvy has been openly questioned, so you would do well to ask around! :wink: SW
Yeah, but I question the inteligence of the questioner......

Shum8

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Agreed! I think your method of cleaning is a sound one Hogger.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Oh, I wasn't worried - more in print on the subject a little later - on another forum!! :wink: :D SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Hogger, after all these years, and you still don't know how to clean a gun?!! Why you just throw 'em in the washin' machine, and put 'em on the "gentile" cycle! :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts