Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a stainless 1894 in 44 magnum from a member here. I can't wait for it to get here. It will be my primary deer hunting rig next year. I am going to scope it with a loupold hog 1-4 x 20 with the pigplex reticle. The question I give you to ponder is this...do I mount it on quick detach rings to my xs ghost ring peep sight lever rail or do I put the xs lever rail with the peep on my other marlin 44? I like the idea of having my ghost ring as a back up on my stainless for a shtf type of situation. But part of me feels like it would be more useful on my other 1894 44 mag. The other options would be to mount it on one of my 1894 in 357 mag. What would you do and why?

·
Registered
254 Posts
With the eye relief you are going to have to mount it pretty high to get the scope to clear the peep sight. I would mount it on warne bases and burris low zee rings to get it as sleek and low as possible. anything higher and I can't get a proper cheek weld. A 1x scope will do anything irons will, and unless you use the gun as a club you most likely won't ever break that scope. It's not going to fail, you're not going to need backup irons. Mount it low and get a hammer spur. Us the rail on your other gun.

·
Registered
736 Posts
"I wouldn't mess with all that extra stuff for my hunting rifle. Strip off the xs sights, get new base and rings... mount it as low as it can go and hunt with it."

I agree............

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
That Leupold is as dependable as they come, put it on your other 44 and scope the 357. 357 can be quite accurate and shoot flatter than the 44, can use the scope. The 44 is a hammer for brush where a peep is great. Nice choice on scope! Just my 2 cents worth. DP

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I have the XS rail with a Lyman receiver sight on the econo-1894 .44. The scope is a Weaver 1-4.5x "Classic Extreme" with a 30mm tube. Rings are low Burris Signature with NcStar steel QD base, one lever. It returns to zero when reattached to the same notches. Everything clears. The scope sits far enough forward to clear the hammer and the bell clears the receiver sight. Scope has Weaver's rendition of a 4A reticle, it's usable in very low light, plus it has an LED dot at the crosshairs, so kind of like a dot sight included. But it's not out of action with a flat battery. I've used it for two seasons so far, have surprised myself with several successful snap shots. 5 deer with that combo.

Stan S.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
"I wouldn't mess with all that extra stuff for my hunting rifle. Strip off the xs sights, get new base and rings... mount it as low as it can go and hunt with it."

I agree............

I'd mount it as low as I could too & see if it'll clear the factory iron sights. The iron sights that come on the rifle are pretty good out to 150 yards or so. I found on a 95 .45-70 if I zeroed @ 100yds then held the gold bead up on top of the U notch of the rear sight I was right on @ 200 yds. Some experimantation like this could give you a very workable back up sight. You'll probably never need it, but it's there.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I use a scope on my blued hunting 1894,44Mag. I put a Williams 5D peep sight with their fire sight on the front of my stainless steel 1894SS, 44Mag. Why? Because I only use the 1894SS for hunting in inclement weather such as rain or snow, when I don't want the hassles of dealing with blurred lenses and or scope covers. I am also not convinced that the game I'm hunting can't pick out the stainless steel barrel easier than a blue one on clear weather days.
Everyone has their own way and ideas of hunting. I agree with all the above posters that you should keep what ever sight you use as low as possible.
Jack

·
Registered
14,889 Posts
Keep it simple. Regular bases and rings, for your scope. Iron sights on rifle are fine for a back up. When you start adding all the extra high end stuff, make it American made, at least it will help the economy. :tee:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I think you also need a butt cuff on your rifle. Mine should be here in couple of days and it might go on my 1894 stainless or a 444XLR I will post pics. A MO member made it and its on the way. A black cuff with a Grizzly Bear and paw print. As for sights you might look at the skinner ghost ring sights guys swear by them.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I have a 1-4x20 on a weaver base and QD low rings. I have replaced the stock irons with Williams dovetail fire sights for plinking, fun, and close-up work.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Well, I've never used quick detachable, see-through rings, rails, etc., on any of my rifles. The ones with scopes are just that, mounted for a scope, and the way I would go personally. However, I almost always bring a back-up rifle along for insurance/shtf or whatever with iron/peep sights anyway. If for some reason the scoped rifle gets broken/dropped, I have the other rifle in waiting to use if need be. Sometimes depending on my mood, or perhaps the terrain etc., I might use the irons or the scoped rifle for my carry choice of that day... mixing it up so to say. Enjoy your new rifle, and good luck to you.

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2013
961 Posts
I like scopes and did the scout on my main rifle with skinner backups. Works great and in heavy fog/snow I just popped off the scope and went peep.

Warne QD rings are rock solid in replacement and go right back into alignment with the bullseye. I will be using them again.

I like the scout but sometimes my father hates it. His carries my old 1-4 x 20 red field gold five star. Never needed anything done to it in 10 years it has bee set up. We have a backup or three when it comes time for deer season.

The one time I did the removal of the scope I shot a doe at 10 yards. At 15 yards I could not have seen her it was thick as pea soup.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am still here reading all the suggestions and pondering. I have not received my rifle yet. Hopefully any day now! Don't. Worry I will post some pics when the old gal gets here. Man I am excited like a 8 year old at Christmas!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
We use the 44s almost exclusively as THE open sight levergun. I'd keep it as versatile as possible. The ghost ring setup makes a lot of sense in certain hunting conditions.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
a 1X4X20 would be great on that .44 of yours.....

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
One more time------MOST ANY scope bases that mount on WEAVER type bases will do a decent job of returning to zero when removed and replaced. This means that you do not need to spend $60-100 for a set of lever rings. Carry a good old 25 cent piece, a washer to fit the slots, or a Leatherman tool or Swiss Army knife (handy for lots of stuff anyway) to remove and or replace the bases. They need to be snug, but not farmer tight. Cranked down with a quarter will do nicely. They do need to go back at or about the same level of tight that they were previously.

Some common rings that work: Weaver Tip Off & Quad lock, Leupold rifleman, Burris Z rings, Warne, and dozens of house brands.
Use the savings to go to the next level of glass, or just buy more ammo!

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I also agree that a 1-4 (or there about) scope will handle close moving game.

I once ended up on an unscheduled east Texas swamp hunt with a borrowed .270 wearing a 6X. I took a stand on a freshly harvested oak stump and pulled up a few tops for a little cover. A buck came bounding into my small clearing. I shot him in the head at about 10-12 FEET using the 6X. He almost ran me over going by. A 1X setting would have been great!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.